Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've been thinking of a film recently. I saw it as a new release at the IFI about 10 - 15 years ago. It was a fairly low budget film from an eastern European country. I'm pretty sure it was a collection of 3 or 4 short stories, or at the very least it had distinct sections. One section involved some kind of carousel in a rural area and the carousel malfunction and the people ended up spending all night on it because they couldn't get off. Another section of the film involved a family in an apartment building.

I don't usually go to the IFI so it would have received a lot of acclaim at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This from the 1990s or possibly late 1980s.

It is a short film from the UK about two friends (possibly cousins) who buy a bus and start a tour of the M25. The driver is Brit and I think the tour guide is Italian.

The story is about the trip where things spiral out of control.

The only scenes I can remember are when the tour guide is telling the passengers about a “suspension tension bridge built by a suspension tension bridge builder” and later on he is ranting at the front of the bus when a passenger comments “I think he is foreign” and the tour guide screams something like “so what? What had that to do with anything?”

I cannot for the life of me find the name of the film online.

all I have is a line of dialogue

a man has bruises and has been attacked or in a fight. He says in bewilderment:-

“you should see the other guy - there isn't a mark on him”

when I think of the line I’m picturing a black and white movie and a comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm trying to think of a comedy movie that has the following scene. Someone is making a tearful goodbye to some characters and then I think the camera cuts to Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz and the person saying goodbye says the famous Dorothy line, 'Scarecrow, I think I'll miss you most of all.'

I feel like it's from an Airplane, Hot Shots type of film with lots of wild gags but I can't think which one. Anyone recognise it?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i watched this film on the TV in the early 80's. It was set on a college campus where the seniors each had picked a freshmen that they continually hazed. But one particular senior took his hazing too far and sends his freshmen bonkers. I remember ending of movie show this mad freshman jumping from top of an apartment building to his death.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Its neither of those, film was set in the 70-80s, but thanks for looking.

Just remembered a scene from a WW2 Movie, in the scene a British soldier spits brandy into a German officers eyes and they get the upper hand.

Anyone know the movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

I posted here last November about "A Surplus of Love" appearing in the on-screen guide for one of the Virgin Media channels, but it was actually "Oliver Twist" (1948 version) being shown.

Another strange occurrence this afternoon; "Oliver Twist" was listed in the on-screen guide on Virgin Media 3. But it was actually a Ted Danson movie that was on. Although the title was wrong, the description was correct for the Ted Danson movie. I just looked it up now and it turned out to be a 2004 movie called "It Must Be Love" also known as "Surviving Love". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369003/ Very puzzling

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭HorseSea

OK a tough one from my mother, vague details. Maybe B&W film, pretty sure it's Irish. The bit she remembers is a policeman that taps on the window of a closed pub and a pint comes out, I think he repeats this several times as he goes about his beat. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

I'm trying to think of the name of a film I saw a couple of years ago. I think it was relatively recently made. It was set in a rural, sleepy American town. The protagonist is a guy in his early 20's living with his parents and I think he is working as a mechanic. It transpires he is hoarding ammunition, machine guys,weapons and a full body amour suit, that he orders online. He ends up going on a full on mental killing spree in the town, walking down the streets in full on body amour shooting anything that moves. This ring any bells for anyone?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

That's the one cheers ! Must give it a rewatch.

I don’t know why but this popped into my head a few minutes ago.

When TV3 (I’m certain it was them) first launched they had a movie review show.

The host was a woman and when she quit she was replaced with Dave Fanning.

Does anyone know her name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

I don't know, but I do remember that Dave Fanning had a movie show on RTE. According to Wikipedia it ran from 1993 to 2001 with Dave Fanning, and returned for one series in 2012 with different presenters. It also says he later produced and directed a movie review show on Channel 6, which was later taken over by TV3 and renamed as 3E, and is now Virgin Media 2.

Also according to Wikipedia, from 2006 Channel 6 had a show called Access Hollywood, which was an Irish format version of an American show. This was presented by Jenny Buckley. Maybe its the same one mentioned above that was produced and directed by Dave Fanning? But there doesn't seem to be any mention of him presenting it.

So it's possible that the show you are thinking of is Access Hollywood with Jenny Buckley. But on the other hand TV3 itself was first launched in 1998 and maybe they had some other movie show then. I remember another movie show which I think was on TV3, but the name of the presenter was Gordon Hayden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Buckley

No it isn’t Buckley.

I’m certain it was TV3 - and that it was on the channel as BUFFY.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There used to be a show called Popcorn on TV3. I 'think' it was presented by Taragh Loughrey Grant.

That is the one.

Now that you put her name in front of me I know that is the lady in question but if you had posted her photo first I wouldn’t known it was her.

Can’t underStand how I didn’t remember a name like popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I don't know if this is a movie or a TV show. It contains a shot of some politician or some other type of community leader in a car and the camera is fixed to the side of the car as it drives through different neighborhoods in the city. It is a long unbroken shot and I think the purpose of it was to show the transition from a fairly run down area to a more affluent place. I actually thought it was from The Wire because it sounds like something they would do but it isn't (I rewatched the whole show recently). Probably within the last 5 - 10 years. Any ideas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Thanks for replying but it definitely isn't The Sopranos. I said it is a long unbroken shot and The Sopranos intro is a montage. Anyway, I found it. It is from Steve McQueen's Widows in 2018. It is funny that the actor playing the guy in the car is Colin Farrell. I had initially thought the scene was from The Wire with Aidan Gillen's character. Both Irish actors playing American politicians running for mayor.

https://youtu.be/d6NXtzAyjds?t=113

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Funny, I immediately thought of the wire to with Gillen when i was reading your post, was there not some such or similar type scene in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 corncobtime

Bit niche but does anyone know what movie this photo could be referring to?

It's apart of IFCO's new campaign, it's supposed to represent an 18 cert movie with an irish connection (whether it be cast, crew, setting) but I can't find anything related to it at all.

Cheers

edit: sorry about the quality, its the best I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems Victorian-Edwardian... could it be Wilde or a Dracula adaptation?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It looks like Stephen Rea in Interview With The Vampire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Gangs of New York perhaps Bill "The Butcher" Cutting Irish connection Daniel Day-Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This is a film I just saw a clip of back in the late 90s/early 00s, either on Dont Feed The Gondolas or the Blizzard Of Odd. It was a low budget American indie movie. The clip showed a punk or skinhead sauntering down a street then somehow a car runs over his foot. The car reverses over his foot several times and he's shown screaming in agony. This long haired hippy guy who might have been the driver, cant be sure, runs over to him and picks up his now severed foot. It was really unconvincing looking, like something from a jokeshop.

It wasn't Repo Man BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 wositelec

I'm looking for the title of the prison movie or TV series from 80's or 90's. Definitely USA. I remember only short and violent scene, perhaps at the start of episode/movie. Two men are prisoners. Perhaps, they are brothers or only buddies. They wears blue jeans and light blue denim or chambray work shirts. Their main opposite man is nefarious prison guard. The warden says to prisoner: "You are free, so you go home", so the prisoner goes slowly (not runs). When he goes through long corridor and he is backed, warden shot him (short pistol, not rifle or shotgun) in his back. Unfortunately, the prisoner is dead (it was sudden and lethal shot in the back). Then, prison guard says to second prisoner: "You will be suffer". Second prisoner is scared, he cried probably and kneeled.

Rejected:

An Innocent Man(1989)

Lock Up (1989)

Death Warrant (1990)

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Murder in the First (1995)

The Last Castle (2001)

Oz (TV Series 1997–2003)

TV Series - episodes connected with prison - rejected too:

"Knight Rider" Knight Behind Bars (TV Episode 1985)

"MacGyver" The Escape (TV Episode 1986)

Advertisement