Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no it was illegal hence why the lawyers had their successes on the issue.

israel implemented it and it failed.

refugees and assylum seekers will continue to come to britain whatever britain does, because while it is deliberately being destroyed by the tories as that is what they do, it will always be better then iran, afghanistan ETC.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The reason I say that is there must be literally thousands and thousands of buildings in England that could easily accommodate 500 men. Hotels, former hospitals, army barracks, hostels and so on. And yet they choose a barge moored at sea and make a huge publicity song and dance for months in advance about how refugees are going to be placed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And when they try to place hundreds of men into an area, the local community don't want them, as is what happens here.

European countries provide the bear minimum requirements for refugees under international law. That's all. They can't afford to provide more than that and they know the more generous they make the system the more refugees will come. So the policy is designed to keep conditions unfavourable so it keeps the potentially millions of people who would want to migrate away from their kip homelands to the propersous West.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Tax payers don't fund their choices, they fund their journeys themselves

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A sane system would simply not make it impossible for most people to claim asylum in the UK in the first place without undertaking such a dangerous journey. That is the only way to avoid these deaths, so I won't have anyone who supports further measures to make their life worse claiming its for their own benefit.

The percentage of asylum seekers/migrants moving from France to the UK is quite small. Those who do so likely have specific reasons for trying to come to the UK, and all the horrible treatment they've had for the last couple of years hasn't stopped them. Also what do you expect those who "stop" these boats to then do? Because very few people are going to just sit there while the boats sink and people drown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Again I will reiterate that I don't know 1 single person from ~100 people(many relatives) that immigrated to the UK in the 70s to just go on the dole. You can say what you want but that is simply the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Don't think I ever heard of that either. You went over and worked, or quickly enough were back.

No asylum seeker is entitled to anything approaching the dole anyway, so it seems irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But they can and do work and yet the tax payers fund their accommodations, dietary , medical and legal bills

• Advertisement

In the UK they can work only if they are still waiting a decision after 12 months and their accommodation and dietary bills are met only by the most very basic definition and not even that at times when it comes to dietary requirements.

That so many are waiting beyond 12 months for a decision is an active choice by the UK govt.

Interesting enough read.

Big, big money to be made out of this whole asylum business.

Money goes from you to government, from government to particular groups.

It wouldn't be in anyone's interest to stop this rare opportunity. Well, you know, depending what end you find yourself upon.

I wonder how the links will go between the Irish governments attempt to jump on the bandwagon?

Or perhaps an equally cynical point of view.

The magic gdp that we are reminded of on the daily, it's funny how it never seems to materialise as clear cut benefit.

Meanwhile it certainly appears as though the price of achieving that magic gdp is costing us everything from housing to healthcare, homelessness, educational resource and so on.

And then the magic gdp is being funnelled into asylum projects and the like, washed, if you will, and put into the hands of friends of friends and so.

Seems like one shite deal for the public, UK or here.

Too cynical?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Tbh I’d find it believable as that poster is only referring to their own experiences (or indeed lack thereof!), so in stating that they knew 100 people who didn’t go over to the UK in the 70’s just to go on the dole, never mind that they earlier referred to the hundreds of people they knew who didn’t go over to the UK just to go on the dole… they’re ignoring the many, many thousands of Irish people who did go over to the UK in the 70s with ne’er so much as a pot to piss in, who either ended up on the dole, or simply perished.

In 1968 there was a shift in Governmental thinking under Minister for Labour Patrick Hillery, when it was proposed that local employment exchanges would provide information about employment in Britain, that mutual recognition of educational qualifications be agreed, and that some state funding be made available for the welfare of emigrants in Britain. In the early 1970s, then Minister for Labour Joe Brennan set up the Committee on Welfare Services to support young people who were leaving for England with little or no preparation or money. This committee of 15 people met in the Department of Labour in Dublin and was superseded in 1984 by the establishment of the London-based Díon Committee by then Minister for Labour Ruairí Quinn who was of the view that a committee in Dublin was not sufficient to address the needs of vulnerable Irish emigrants in Britain. In 2004, following the report of the Task Force on Policy Regarding Emigrants, the Government established the Emigrant Support Programme, to be managed by a dedicated unit, the Irish Abroad Unit, which was set up in the Department of Foreign Affairs.

https://www.dfa.ie/media/dfa/alldfawebsitemedia/newspress/publications/ministersbrief-june2017/1--Global-Irish-in-Numbers.pdf

Relying solely on their own experiences (or indeed lack thereof), is meaningless, particularly in the context of overwhelming evidence which contradicts their limited knowledge of the numbers of Irish people who emigrated to the UK only to end up on the dole, or perish, similar to the numbers of immigrants in the UK today who are experiencing exactly the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Genuine question how do you end up finding, accepting and reposting this kind of stuff as a source to anything?

No, it's better they hold and turn people around quickly

Well if I was fleeing Ireland for whatever reasons, firstly I would think where would I go that I have supports in place?

So family, friends etc and that's where I would go.

if I don't have family or friends then I would go to a country where my fellow countrymen have gone before me .

And I absolutely wouldn't thank God for being placed in some prison in Scotland🙄

An asylum seeker would be content to just get basic help, to survive. They would say 'thank god' to a migrant prison colony somewhere off Scotland.

This is, I'm sorry, incredibly, incredibly stupid. Absolutely no one would be happy with a migrant colony somewhere off Scotland in preference to risk of death, as would be obvious if you looked at any human history anywhere.

We are working off arguments completely in poor faith here.

as a court decides.

The court will decide that all of this is pretty illegal.

its not cynical, it's just silly.

There is very little money in the grand scheme of things flowing into "asylum projects". In the UK, by several orders of magnitude more money went into Conservative donors via their VIP line for Covid equipment that was completely unusable. And those that provided it got peerages instead of criminal investigation.

• Advertisement

Ok, so.You're ok with government supplying housing and health benefits? cos I thought from your posts that you didn't believe in all tnat?

There's way too much emphasis on the 'first safe country' thing. A person who claims asylum may well end up spending the next few decades in that country, so they have to give a huge amount of consideration to where it is. They're not just going to say 'I have a roof over my head this evening and a meal on the table. This will do, I'll claim asylum here'.

They should seriously consider a military response, rather than offering a rescue and water taxi service like we have already seen in the med ,use the military to stop and deter crossing, they have the ability to use surveillance aircraft and drones to cover areas where boats are being launched, instead of rescue they should be boarding boats and forcibly taken back to France before scuttling boat's involved, too many sjws ,NGOs and other people making money off it , Start going after all involved including removing funding from NGOs and block them from having any involvement ,go after employers of illegals to rather than having targeted raids, have prosecution of the business and close them down ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But you were saying earlier they are fleeing war and persecution and famine. Yet they have a large amount of time to weigh up which country to move to.

Where did you get that from.

Hold and turn people around quickly where in that did you think it said house and give them benefits .....

The military are not going to fire on civilians or cause them to be at risk, nor are they going to leave vulnerable civilians to die on the water.

They wouldn't have to open fire on anyone ,they can be quite useful for deterence the Chinese use water cannons to force boats out of the south china sea they perceive are in Chinese waters , instead of picking people up they should observe until the french arrive to rescue them ,

It would be the total opposite of what the EU did in the med rather than deterence they opted to assist the people smugglers by finishing off the trips they organised

I found it in a pigeons nest.

I don't accept it at face value, hence the "interesting enough read".

I don't see anything wrong with posting it. Again, as I found it interesting enough.

Who are you, exactly, that you imagine you're in some position of information quality control? Squeak up from your tiny pedestal there and let me know.

• Advertisement

But once out of the dangerous / oppressive country, they now have time to think over what to do next (and claiming asylum is a process that can take years, which they are fully aware of). They're not just going to claim asylum in the very first town they arrive in and a few hours after leaving their home country.

Advertisement