Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

I have tried to find this policy but I can't find any reference to it on their site! I wonder has it been withdrawn since you purchased? I can see that the claims contacts are different if you purchased before June 2023 and after. If you can find a direct link to it that would be great! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 idontknowdoyou

We were considering this for next year but our eldest is 14 - interested in why you think not suitable for teens? Also who did you book with?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Driving from Cherbourg to Disneyland next week. Anyone any idea of the number of tolls and cost?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

I dealt with A&G over the phone after finding the policy on Kelair Campotel's website. Kelair wouldn't sell it to me as my trip wasn't booked through them, so I just called A&G. Give them a call and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I just feel the facilities are better set up for younger kids.

For example the soccer pitch is very small. Not great to keep a teenager occupied kicking about for long.

There's a playground and bouncy castle for small ones. Again not for teenagers.

There are teen clubs alright during the day and evening alright.

Listen it could work out perfectly fine for ye as there's plenty to do around on day trips, Pay du Foy, water park, other adventure parks etc.

It a very relaxed site, good restaurant and bar. So I'm not totally warning ye off it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

That's super information. A Good football pitch is ahead of slides and swimming pool for my eldest teen so that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d agree with that summary. The thing I’m wondering is what sort of facilities are there for teens outside of what’s offered here.

We have two younger children who are perfect for le littoral. Our middle child plays soccer a lot and I agree the pitch is too small, but I wouldn’t move for that alone.

As for our teenager, he’s not interested in clubs or trying out things so I can’t imagine we’d have any more luck anywhere else. Actually think if he brought a friend next year he’d probably see what’s on in the teens club.

Has anybody any recommendations on places that have events that teens may actually enjoy that’s not just teen clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Phew, I'm glad we've had three good days out of four this week. I was giving serious consideration to throwing in the towel and getting the next ferry back to Cherbourg if the rain had continued 😭

• Advertisement

I was nearly going to take an inflatable myself and paddle off the island. Shocking season but today is nice and warm alright.

It's a long way to travel for bad weather - we got goodish weather a few weeks ago but we did have a few drizzly days. I think we will probably fly further down south next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭airy fairy

While we stayed in Vendée this year, I found it increasingly hard to find gluten free food for one of mine. Not in shops, that was fine,but eating out. Even vegetarian was hard, unless you want to live on lettuce and tomatoes that is. Restaurants are not even willing to give you the ingredient info, not to mention have a seperate pot to cook a bit of pasta.

I remember staying towards Normandy a few years back and they were more accommodating. If it were me, I'd deal with it and suck it up, much harder when it's a kid.

If anyone has had any experience of said foods, good areas that acknowledge dietary requirements, let me know!

I'd love to do fly/drive, but since last year we've aquired a dog, so we have to do ferry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Baybay

Re weather: last night in the Herault we had probably the first big storm of the summer. Thunder & lightning for a few hours & most importantly some very heavy rain. May not be enough as the drought is quite extensive here but it’ll surely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Did two weeks in Le Pin Parasol, first two weeks in July, cant recommend the place enough

had two teenagers and a 9 year old, they all loved the place and want to go back

flew into nante and drove to camp, first time we have done that after years of sailing, something nice about leaving home in the morning and sitting in your campsite drinking wine that same evening

Financially, how does it work out to fly/drive compared to drive/ferry? Not a chance in hell we will ever fly - my lot are the exact opposite of the "travelling light" concept. 🤦

I also do like filling up the boot with goodies on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

4 of us flew Dublin -Rodez with ryanair on June 22nd 1 checked bag between us & 1 carry on each with priority and seat €620 . Citroen C3 aircross for 12 days with Hertz €350. Drive from airport to campsite is 1hr 10mins. Used €48 diesel in total. We used to sail up to 2017 but a couple of holidays with really poor weather pushed us further south. Rodez is a cheap route into southern France with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rex_turner

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Brittany Ferries Rosslare - Le Harve route for 2024. It's not available to purchase for next year, I'm wondering if they are discontinuing it. We always sail from Ringaskiddy as it's very convenient for us but was thinking of heading near Paris or further east for next year and travelling to Rosslare would be worth it for the reduced travel from Roscoff. I know DFDS is another option to Dunkirk but I think their arrival times are very late at night/very early morning which wouldn't suit us with the ages our kids are.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Camping les rivages in millau ,its a yelloh 4 star site. Our second time there and we love it. Smallish site with really good facilities and a lovely pool complex. 10 mins walk into town. Its a really relaxing site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We stayed twice in Camping Val de Cantobre about 30km SE of Millau (2016 & 2022). It's out in the sticks but highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

We’re flying to Nice in August, €1100 flights, €750 for car hire. 5 of us. We’ve done the boat more than a few times as well, both have benefits but don’t really want to drive more than 4 hours off the boat personally. Pretty much guaranteed the weather further south. Had a couple of bad years weather wise in Des Ormes and La Croix du Vieux Pont that put us off! Will definitely be back to Brittany/ Normandy though which seem to have more charm. If you go with Eurocamp you get a lot more space generally around your mobile at the northern sites. Pack them in like sardines down south (in my experience!)

I certainly get the attraction of flying/car rental because of the speed. Also, you can get further south easier and be guaranteed better weather. This year was our third time going to France and the weather was definitely cooler/more changeable than 2019 and 2022. For us, the big draw of the car is being able to bring wine home but also bring other small things that make the holiday more pleasant, e.g. kitchen utensils etc.

Definitely think though that 6-7 hours is the max distance from Cherbourg we'd ever go south and that means an overnighter on the way home so we can catch the ferry rather than leaving a campsite at 5am

For us, the big draw of the car is being able to bring wine home but also bring other small things that make the holiday more pleasant, e.g. kitchen utensils etc.

We must be related! Wine, beer and garden/kitchen stuff gets loaded into the car. I even brought back a massive rain-water barrel once as I had room in a van which I borrowed. 😂

I'll do the 14hr drive to Perpignan though; kids are older now, so it's just a matter of stopping for food these days rather than toilet breaks of years gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s a shorter drive from Bilbao to many parts of France. We might do that next year.

I have noticed in my brief search that a lot of the cheaper flights (generally with ryanair) leave very early in the morn or arrive very late at night so I'm kinda veering back to the ferry with a high chance of not so good weather, as the flights times aren't great unless you go dearer with the likes of aer lingua and I totally get that's why the cheap flights are generally cheaper.

This is true, 6.5hrs now from Bilbao to Perpignan, but the trade-off is 30hrs on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I did Bilbao this year, with a nice stopover in San Sebastian before onwards to the Mediterranean, and then back to Biarritz for a week.

Didn't find the boat journey much longer than Cherbourg, but it's not quite as nice a boat as the WB Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

Entertaining kids for a full day no joke either.

I dunno what we will do. Have accommodation booked near Toulouse and Olympics tickets in paris three days after we leave there but no accommodation booked. Might be handier not to have a car but dunno how kids will cope with public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Hey folks

Returning to this thread after deciding to change tact in 2022. Far to say, it's hard beat France.

Stayed in Pin Parasol last year and it was by far our favourite site - possibly with the kids being a bit older. Anyway, heading back next year.

We want to plan our return trip to the ferry with an overnight visit to Puy Du Fou. We visited it last year and it was out of this world. It was an experience like no other. If we're planning on visiting Jul/Aug 24, when do they start selling tickets and accommodation?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a nice family hotel, near Normandy please share. We stayed in Caen before in a Novotel. It was fine and perfectly functional but looking for options.

Advertisement