Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Carlow town bus service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Smart purchase then, not often you see that with public procurement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Some stats & other info from a local Cllr. this evening about CW 1 & 2

Free travel cards will also be accepted and it is estimated that over 30% of passengers will travel for free.

94% of Carlow town’s population will be within 800m of a bus stop, and 68% will be within 400m

The two new Carlow town bus routes, CW1 and CW2, will be operational seven days a week, with buses every 30 minutes. In the town centre where the 2 routes meet, there will be a bus roughly every 15 mins.

(The bit about the 2 routes meeting; in the coach park; that is so important for crossovers on both routes going in either direction & will open up the town in so many different ways for employment & accommodation & accessibility + services etc.)

The buses will run from 6 am to 12 pm everyday. (Slightly later start on a Sunday). The early buses are time to allow passengers to connect to the early trains.

Fares are very affordable, at 55c for under 24s and €1.10 for an adult. That single fare also allows passengers to change from one route to another to continue their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

I see the new Port Laoise town service that will be up and running by early next year is also going to run from around 6am to midnight each day.

I wonder will this be the new standard and will the likes of Athlone's A1/A2 be upgraded from 7am-8pm to 6am-12am.

Anyone notice any stirring as of late? I hope we're still on track for a "mid" July launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I saw reports of another WM being repainted into the yellow and green TFI livery, I would assume that's being prepped for use in Carlow. So it seems they're actively getting the buses ready for the service at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've seen buses on test around town several times recently

As per KCLR 96 FM today, Tuesday the 11th of July 2023 the wheels on the Carlow Town bus services won't be going round and round from Sunday the 16th of July 2023 as was previously announced; instead the latest date announced is Sunday the 30th of July & it's all down to driver recruitment issues..................

I see the bus markings are finally going down in more places. Starting with the ones at Dunnes and working towards Graigue Bridge and onwards

Taken from Facebook. It's the time table from one of the stops on the CW2. Happy to see the last bus is 12:30am and not 12am like previously mentioned.

Someone timed the route and it'll take 8mins, say max 15mins with bad traffic.

Another announcement; this time via current Cathaoirleach of Carlow County Council for 2023-2024 & FF Cllr. Andrea Dalton that launch will be at 12 Noon on Thursday the 27th of July

• Advertisement

Slight issue there, re timing of route; he only timed it from Barrow Valley Retail Pk. to Carlow town bus park; the actual route is to Wexford Rd. Bus. Pk.; plus obviously it was done in a car & not on a bus with passengers boarding, disembarking and the time such things take up which will add on times.

That said I'd imagine a lot of both routes will be boarded from bus park to end points for CW1 & CW 2; the statistics from TFI, BE etc. will be quite telling in terms of demand at various stops, how many're going from where to where etc. but I sincerely think this is a positive, a game-changer for the town & I will 100% be using both routes.

1500 Leap Cards with credit will be distributed by the way; one expects some certainly will be done on the day so best get there for the launch; sure you might get into a photo op with our local Cllrs. & TD & Min. Ryan, Min. for State Malcolm Noonan etc. too (plus their fan boys, girls, social media gurus, Insta Huns/Bebo Stunnahz/Influencers etc.)

The mindset of "Why isn't it going t/here?" or "Why isn't it picking me up from, dropping me off at, my doorstep/post office/dole office/crack house/shopping centre/pub/workplace/school/college" has to change for it to be a success; I hope it does as it will lead to other routes like out Leighlin Rd., the Downs on Pollerton Rd. etc.

People had their opportunity to make FREE submissions on the routes, stops etc.; that they chose not to is on them, NOT TFI, BE or Carlow Co. Co.; it was well flagged on their socials, websites, in our local papers & on our local radio station; reliable sources for & of such information.

Now, the talking's over, the time is now to support CW 1 & CW 2! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I see yet another evolution with the NTA timetable prints: the operator is stated in plain text with a phone number! Much better than the logo that came with the C Spine schedules in Dublin, or the very original structure of splitting sheets by operators and having everything in the footnotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd imagine the max is going to be considerably longer at times. Going from the post office down over the bridge can be an absolute disaster and the same in reverse will be even worse when the Tyndall traffic is back again. Also noticed the stops going through graigue and they're going to need to enforce some of the parking rules if they don't want to cause tail backs in both directions. A lot of cars constantly park on the road at that pedestrian crossing near the football pitches.

If those are the busses above they're far too big imo. Something along the lines of the city imp (some blow ins may have experienced those) would have been more suited.

Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said that! I forgot the route from Graigue to the buspark continues after that!

As for the size of the busses I honestly think the streetlites are perfect. They work fine on the A1/A2 in Athlone and we've a bigger population! There'll be teething problems for sure but it's gonna be so great when it's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

IIRC years ago DB timetables used to state the garage the route worked from and the phone number for the garage to deal with complaints and lost property etc. But now everything goes through head office.

No mention of the Twitter handle, address and other bs just plain and simple phone number.

Call one cynical but......

Politicians (Cllrs., TD, Min. for State) & some hangers-on/groupies (we all know them/who they are) & local media rocked up to bus park on Friday the 9th of June for a "trial run of CW1" https://www.malcolmnoonan.com/post/new-bus-routes-launched-today-will-be-transformative-for-carlow-town

Now Thursday the 27th of July is the "Official Launch" at 12 Noon (presumably in the bus park; there'll be 1500 Leap Cards with credit on them & would imagine they'll be being given out on the day itself)

But it's not til Sunday the 30th of July itself that the actual buses, routes CW 1 & 2 begin running........

How many photo ops do the NTA, BE, TfI, Politicians & their groupies/hangers-on need......

Am (still) 100% supportive of bus services as I've said all along; this is a game-changer for the town & while there's always gonna be the Negative Ninnies who won't give up their cars if you told them the bus would pick 'em up at their doorstep & drop 'em right back to it, these services open up the town to so many; as per above Green Party link the services are targeted at areas of low car ownership too & this improves accessibility & permeability for those parts of the town.

Also for 55 Cents or €1.10 you can go from Wexford Rd. Business Pk. & any of the stops in between to Barrow Valley Retail Pk. (Dunnes in old money).

I.e It's the 1 Fare; you don't pay twice as per above link.

Do that in a taxi; Ken Blacks to Bus Pk. & Bus Pk. to Dunnes & it's gonna be €14 (7 x 2).

I thought the date was brought forward to the 27th for the full launch? My understanding from KCLR is that it's now 27/7 as the driver issues have been sorted. They're hardly going to take their pictures, go around from Graigue out the Wexford Road once and that's it? Full launch on Sunday?

Surely not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

New schedules always start on Sundays in Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus and Go Ahead Ireland (that’s how their rosters work - a Sunday to Saturday working week) - the Thursday will be the publicity launch with the leap cards etc.

Jaysus. But shur i suppose we've been waiting years for this bus service so another few days wait won't do us harm!

More flesh on the bones in terms of times from start/end points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Good to see even on a Sunday that the last bus is pretty much at midnight!

Was just reading there and unfortunately the NTA decided not to serve the train station directly with a stop. The closest stop will be the fire station. Disappointing but understandable I suppose given the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

True, yes. I suppose two things killed the direct garage mention: 59OCS handling everything and dual-garage operation once Network Direct kicked in.

Full map of route & stops (Crd. Cllr. Fintan Phelan FF)

Fares with & without Leap Card discounts for adults & children. Crd. Cathaoirleach & FF Cllr. Andrea Dalton for image)

I see this is marked as a trial service with routes being subject to change/cancellation in future, depending on popularity. Is this common and just the NTA covering their backs?

I'd be worried if they hadn't built in "tweaking"

That's true. Just thought it was odd they're saying it's a trial service as opposed to a fully fledged service just with the potential to be altered.

Semantics I know!!

• Advertisement

Kanes Gala on Burrin Rd.'re now stocking leap cards, the capping, topping-up etc. will take a bit of getting used to for us fuddy-duddies but we'll get there; and the a positive of leap cards is, of course, being able tap on, tap off & not having to dilly-dally round for change thus delaying the service you're boarding or disembarking from.

Advertisement