Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Both of these

Both of those however have the issue of not allowing viewers to legally vote with their feet if they are not happy with what is offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Same goes for TG4 and hardly anybody seems bovvered, even though I'd imagine only a tiny handful watch it any way regularly...

However if you want to stop funding it, all of it, you have the legal right to do so. Whatever the excesses we're seeing now under the licence fee funding model will become much worse over time when the right to walk away is removed.

What will change is that the public will become more resigned to it. Like the far greater inefficiencies in, for example, the HSE, people will just accept it because there's nothing they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks like a license fee from every household to support all public service broadcasting and a direct subsidy for RTE.

Newstalk is certainly a way better public service broadcaster than Radio1,and VM does a comparable job to RTE for news and current affairs.

Can only see RTE getting slimmed down in fairness.

In a democracy there's always something you can do. If enough people felt strongly enough about it they could elect a PD-type libertarian political party that proposed to abolish all public subsidies of broadcasting and let the free market decide what people watch/listen to...

• Advertisement

On the other hand look at how many people on the Tubridy payments thread have said that they would not be paying their licence fee. This will have a far greater effect of focusing minds than if, for example, RTE are funded out of general taxation. In the latter scenario, RTE can use their influence to increase their funding bit by bit year after year. They can, of course, (and do) lobby to increase the licence fee but what they can't do up until now is force people to pay the fee. Consequently they have had to maintain a small amount of respect for the viewer.

'Saying' they won't pay their licence fee. Mass refusal to pay in the current context isn't going to focus RTE minds on providing the service people really want, it'll only expedite the long-delayed move to a new funding system. And the government will no doubt provide a bailout to make up any interim shortfall...

Ultimately then it has to be regarded as unfortunate that the upshot of the RTE payments scandal and excesses is the acceleration of the removal of the right of the public to individually remove funding from them.

Currently, if you are not happy with RTE you can sack them. You can drop them as your supplier of media content.

I'm not sure taking away that right will make them more accountable to the public. Direct exchequer funding or by mandatory household charge will make them more sycophantic towards the government of the day but less directly accountable to the public I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think political party's would be wise to consider a new public service broadcaster and a reformed service, before considering change the method on which the broadcaster is funded.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

They are effectively with the planned distribution of the License Fee. I reackon we'll see a stripped down RTE with more home produced stuff on VM and independent radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Government could always scrap any funding of RTE and leave them to the free market. I'd close it down and then tender for a new broadcasting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RTE should be split now make RTE 1 both TV and Radio a PBS that airs news, Irish made documentaries, Irish sports, Irish current affairs, Irish kids TV etc funded by a fee.

TG4 can be part of this PBS.

Make RTE 2 a commercial entity that makes and sells Irish content to the international markets using international partners to fund the making of shows, Ireland has so many interantional TV shows and movies made here RTE really should be looking to get in on this more.

RTE 2 can also be the channel for buying in international content.

All the other RTE radio branded stations should be run as commercial stations and if the can't break even then they get folded into each other and not bailed out.

All profits from the commercial side gets put back into the PBS to make more Irish content.

What the reform of RTÉ is via the planned distribution of the License Fee?

______

Yesterday

I believe there's a plan to share the License Fee amongst all broadcasters for public service broadcasting and give RTE a subsidy.

Seems very fair,but I doubt RTE will exist in it's current bloated form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

That is the plan but RTE won’t change. This is Ireland and it will soon be forgotten like so many other scandals. RTE get currently €200m and wanted €500m. We have 15% non payment rate. If nobody could avoid the new tax then it is possible some of that money is achievable. Now let’s take other broadcasters taking a slice of that pie. I can’t see any way this can happen without a significant increase from €160.

You'll be sorely disappointed TBH. Why should VMTV or Sky or any commercial provider get any of the license fee for any of the services that they currently provide?

______

Yesterday

Don't see why they shouldn't if the License Fee is there to support public service broadcasting and they produce programmes for and about Ireland.

Is public service broadcasting just programming for and about Ireland?

Are those programmes good quality programming (not saying that RTÉ's have been over the years) and what to they really provide?

Take local radio programming, does a local radio service deserve license fee funding for a mid-morning chat show and a few GAA games? or should they be given license fee funding for having a full time Current Affairs programme on from 5 to 7?

Should we fund VMTV news and if so should advertising be reduced on VMTV channels?

And you still have the question as to how small RTÉ becomes? Because to do that you will require redundancies, and if you don't almost all of that fund will go to RTÉ in anycase.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

I read the first 50 pages and gave up. 321 pages is a bit much. Either way it’s a 2017 report with recommendations of €175 which is indexed (increased) every 2 years. Revenue commissioners is the preferred method of collecting as it also opens the possibility of copying Finland with a salary based charge. RTE had a deficit of €20m in 2016 for that year with close to 2000 staff and TG4 broke even with 84 people. For all the talk of other broadcasters, that’s not really what I read as it is wishy washy on the definition of public service broadcasting. It mentions share of viewers in Ireland with RTe1 taking about 17%. Then it breaks down quickly. Tv3/VM is defined as a commercial station with a tiny audience share. So reading between the lines, they aren’t getting anything. No mention of how these audience shares are devised ! Devil in the detail.

of all the news about RTE, tubs payments are not the story at all. That’s a distraction from the real story of execs living the life off the taxpayers money. Wilfully wasting huge sums on themselves.

They (government and RTE) need to be careful in this regard when it comes to revenue commissioners collecting this charge. It will be seen as 100% a tax and taxpayers money that is wasted. They can try sell this current storm as part licence fee and not straight from tax revenues but that won’t wash with the new charge.

• Advertisement

I made a submission and I attended the focus group and Adrian Lynch was on the same focus group I was on. It's collecting dust in the ministers office for the last 6 years.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Yes like every other scandal only the pigs at the trough changes, the tax payers will be tapped to bail them out and revenue will be tasked with enforcing the 160 payment, all on the PAYE sector, the top and bottom will avoid this of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I predict a lot of early retirements and timely resignations within RTE over the next couple of years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile on RTE watching the Ireland match at th eWorld Cup the commentary/sound is about 10 seconds ahead of the video feed..

RTÉ2 tried to make a joke of it, but they were faced with backlash, not the best time to be making jokes.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

If the government doubles the fee to €320, the size of the pie increases, then RTEs share remains the same in nominal terms and inflation eats them away. The government would not do it all at once, they must first lock in taxpayers via something like property tax, and, remove the current legal method to avoid paying i.e. get rid of the TV set.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

It depends on which parties are in govt after the next general election. Besides, I don't think the broadcasting charge, if it is brought in, would increase that much.

Also there would be the suggestion that you get 100% collection rates per household, along with those who did not have to pay.

From household the total amount from the license fee comes to €295m if everyone paid. On top of this you have businesses and holiday homes. This could push the total amount to €350m.

Some of this would still come from DSP, for over 75s etc.

Though sadly you don't fix the problem with RTÉ, and if you think you are fixing the problem that exists in RTÉ by pumping it with funding you be very sadly disappointed.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the government is serious about reform of RTÉ, there will be reform of RTÉ. Viewers won't necessarily forget this scandal.

Advertisement