Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

knee jerk reaction , it will linger for the first few rounds of the club championship and disappear , we have a calculated bunch on the county board at the moment they wont do anything rash , the players will vote him in for another year and hopefully today 12 months time we are reversing todays result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Maybe Lohan might bring in Fahey or O'Connell or both as selectors/coaches next year. New voice, new ideas. Freshen things up. Succession plan too. Let them stay managing the underage teams too. Can't have a big enough coaching set up these days.

id say he is too loyal to what he has , he is also notoriously stubborn, i agree though because fahey is a top coach but a nobody in the general public , i am sure questions would hang over how he would manage the pressure

i would have no fear of BOC , i know him well enough i worked with him just before he went to Australia in 2008 , he was clare captain at the time and left the panel to travel to the other side of the world , he spent the best part of 12 months outside laboring on building sites even though he was a qualified site engineer

brian o connell dose his own thing regardless of the status que , wihch was huge back then , he earned enough money outside to set up his own buisness when he came back he is more ruthless then lohan in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

Lohan needs a better backroom team. He needs a Kinnerck to see the changes on the day. Whatever the starting role for Morey, he should have adjusted earlier, At the point where KK were pinging balls into the corner forwards unchallenged we had to change.

We have the forwards to take on any backs, but 5 against 6 backs, and with Kelly moving out left too much space for any 4 forwards to cover. If you draw an accurate team like KK into scoring range, you are going to get hurt. For me, Lohans back room needs to move much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seadin

Funny thing is Clare had Kinnerck in 2013 when they won the All Ireland, they probably didn't realise how good he was back then. Clare must address their shooting for next season if they are to make the next step up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

They only got 1-5 from play I believe, and the goal we gifted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Think Kilkenny got 1 14 from play

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

The loss was self inflicted.

Starting sweeper was very costly. I can understand why it was done, but it was evident from early on it was not working and should not have waited until half time to change it.

Individual mistakes particularly the goal really killed us. The goal was just a horror show from both Hayes and Quilligan. Also Hayes gave away a completely needless line ball which proved costly, while Galvin Rodgers got in each others way to miss an almost certain Clare goal.

We had some excellent performances, particularly in O'Donnell, Duggan & Malone, but will be hard to recover from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I genuinely can't understand at all why it was done, you go 15 on 15 against Limerick but decide to play a sweeper against KK?

And you can't suddenly decide to just play a sweeper, it takes months even years to fine tune it. Morey didn't know what to do, he was lost, he ended up at wing forward at one stage pucking a ball wide and then KK countered straight down the channel where he was supposed to be and scored. People seem to think that playing as a sweeper is easy, shur no one marking you, free to roam around and pick up spare ball, its a far more difficult and technical job than that, look at Waterford when De Burca got injured, they had no one to step in. Going forward if Clare want to play a sweeper then it should be Tony Kelly, firstly he has great vision and he's mobile and has a good hurling brain and more importantly he is too easy to nullify in the forwards. Cathal barrett and Mikey Butler have shown how easy it actually is to nullify him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

@droppingball you are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yep, when you put it like that it's very difficult to argue...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

I thought Lohan and co were too slow in making changes, especially when the first half was going so badly. Making changes quicker + getting players to pass the ball rather than shoot on site are Clare's biggest improvement areas. Diarmaid Ryan is a great talent but made a lot of bad decisions and gave the ball away numerous times in the first half which he does in almost every game. Galvin took the ball off Rodgers when he was pulling on it 3 yards from goal.. criminal. Hayes got roasted. In big games, one of the Clare full back line tends to be completely beaten. Flanagan had a lot of joy in the 2022 Munster final, Gillane in 2023 and then Cody yesterday. That needs to be sorted out. With all the mistakes, ye were still there at the end and gave away the goal which proved the difference. Ye are not that far away but really need a Munster title at least next year.

Unpopular opinion warning!

Lohan is getting away with murder simply because he's not Davy!

Clare lost three Championship matches this year and everyone of them has his fingerprints all over them, from the rookie Goalkeeper against Tipp and the insistence on persevering with the short puckouts, to the corner back fiasco in the Munster Final where he simply refused to admit he was wrong and hung the poor young lad out to dry to the sh*t show with Morey at the weekend. Four years and he is making rookie mistakes like that, and he isn't going to change he's a stubborn fecker, but as I said he's not Davy so some are happy to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

Watch the last few minutes again to see the impact of not having an expert freetaker, and general inexperience / naivety:

Score is 1-22 to 1-20, 67m16s Hayes is fouled by Reid. Rogers comes way out (for him) to take the free, between his 45 & 65...he takes the free at 68m01s (KK brought on a sub in that time) and it goes well wide, distance was too much.

From the puckout the ball is sent to E Cody who gets an easy point, 68m33s, young Hogan a bit too raw for Cody 1-23 to 1-20

68m52s, David Fitz fouled by P Walsh, scoreable free about 68m out...Rogers takes a quick one on the ground to Ryan over on the sideline and under a bit of pressure. His delivery ends up going out for a 65 from a Duggan effort.

Rogers points the 65 on 70m24s (Clare brought on Shanagher before 65 is taken).

From the puckout, KK work it up to Mullins who flicks it on to Butler, Tony Kelly caught ball watching and let Butler off, end result a point for Cody on 71m10s, 1-24 to 1-21

My point is that it took Clare 2 minutes 21 seconds (from Rogers first and third frees being struck) with a good bit of fluting around in between, while Kilkenny got two relatively easy points (2nd one after MRs second free).

Had there been a clinical free taker to nail the first one and put a point between them, who knows...obviously at that stage fatigue is a factor too, concentration can lapse, but I found that spell very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Absolutely Clare need a free-taker who is accurate with 90-100% of the frees. And maybe we'd have won the last 2 Munster titles if we had.

But we simply don't have that. We have tried Tony Kelly, Duggan, Aiden McCarthy and now Rodgers.

Rodgers is probably the best of them, but basically a player like TJ Reid or Joe Canning who converts almost everything is not normal, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭supernova5

apart from the part about "young lad" [Nolan is probably 29] cant really disagree with any of that, watching this particular Clare team and the eventual outcomes of real crunch matches over the last number of years is like watching re-runs of Groundhog day, we know what Einstein's definitely of insanity is......

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shocs07

I think if ye want to progress he has to go. He spends more time giving out about referee's than anything else.

Serious bad calls made by him this year. Simply not tactically estute for modern day hurling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For the past few years I've been saying we need a free taker, you need to be scoring everything inside the opponents half and a good chunk of those in your own, having your corner forward on the frees also slows down the whole game plan and gives the opposition a short puck out.

We need cover from 5 to 12, we coped this year but how much more time does Conlon have? We were exposed against Limerick with Cleary being injured, we're nearly at the starge of it being harder to get off the team than on it, Reidy being brought on in an AI Semi Final being a prime example.

Tis all relative Super, 29 is awfully young when you are my age! lol I do admit I thought he was younger.

I'm not from Clare shocs just making an observation from the outside. I think Lohan would be a great guy and is to have around the training pitch and the dressing room but when making big calls or in play he definitely needs someone more astute and a bit calmer - but would he listen to them? He is a very stubborn man, which isn't always a bad thing but in this instance its holding him and the team back.

• Advertisement

Your bang on in terms of tactics, complaining about referees, complaining about media personal, complaining about TV pundits

It's almost groundhog Day, the only difference is lohan changed tactics at half time and went all out in the second half,

We were 5 points down playing a sweeper, we probably would have lost by 9 or 10 sticking to it , that's where Fitz got slated d by us

The other thing saving lohan is panel depth compared to Fitzgerald back in 14/15/16 where the panel was much stronger

It's up to the players now to vote him in or out , the board will back him for his final year, but I can't see him stay on any longer unless he won the all Ireland next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Gael85

What ever to Bobby Duggan Clarecastle, he was decent freetaker with 21s a few years ago?

Clare haven't a consistent freetaker since Colin Ryan. A couple lads taking frees for county not even first choice freetaker with their clubs. Does Shanagher take frees for Wolfe Tones?

He found himself behind both Colin Ryan and totts o Cornell on frees under Fitzgerald, was briefly tried out under Donal and Gerry but he was out of form at the time, his club Clarecastle had turned into a real whipping boy of Clare hurling and struggled to keep their senior status in place since

A number of players likes of bobby and Stephen o'halloran were huge prospects from Clarecastle the club secene didn't help their progress either

Niall deasy is still the best freetaker in the county but has never made an impact really at senior level

Yeah you argued this point last year when the rest of us were singing lohans praise

We had a heap of guys to try out over the league and they only got minimum game time

The team we had out for the league game against Westmeath was a joke, starting Conor cleary, David Fitzgerald, ect

If we have any hope of just getting back to where we were last Sunday next season, we have to use the league better, find out who we have and who we don't have before the league starts, not half way through a championship

As regards free taking, Rodgers looks like he doesn't fancy it either, so that one is as up in the air as it has been since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Iecrawfc

On Rodgers, I think sticking with him as freetaker is the way to go, he's an excellent prospect and will be there for the next 10 years, as he gains more experience his freetaking will come on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

See, there's the problem, he's an excellent prospect, he's isn't a guaranteed starter and he's not a guaranteed full match player either, in my opinion lamping inter-county frees onto a lad trying to secure his place on the team is far too risky.

Nailing my colours to the mast, I don't think Lohan's tenure has been great, it hasn't been bad and his performance off the field getting the county board in order gets him a lot of credit so him getting his 5 year term is warrented, but next year has to be a case of **** or get off the pot, at this stage I'd mark him on par with Donal & Gerry's performance and I'm worried that next season will go the same way as they did.

Looking at just onfield stuff, we

• Don't have a settled game plan, we started a sweeper last week but not when our only full back was out
    • Don't have options at 3 or 6
    • Our 6 is a converted All Star forward
    • Don't have a free taker
    • Don't have a settled goalie
    • Don't have options at 3 or 6
    • Don't have a squad
    • Subs aren't trusted

My fear is that we're reliant on lads with a lot of miles of the clock, relying on lads with 10+ years of intercounty hurling to start and finish a match for you isn't going to win you an All Ireland, Kilkenny brought on 4 subs the last day in their 30s who knew they were to be finishers, we brought on 1 lad who has played 55 minutes of division 3 club hurling this year, a reversal of our attempt of a sweeper and took off the original sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Watching from abroad, and not a Clareman so definitely bow to your superior knowledge on this, however surely Quilligan is nailed-on goalie. I know he didn't start against Tipp ( and the disastrous consequences that followed) but he's showed All-Star form this year, he'll surely be one of the three nominations?

He'll probably get a nomination alright, but he's well behind Quaid and the Murphy's, he has had a few clangers in the past which could happen at any stage again.

• Advertisement

unless murphy lets in 4 or 5 hes getting the goalkeepers award , in fairness he could be nominated for more

fitz , shane o donnell and kelly again like last year will be our 3 , cathal malone should be in the mix but o'donovan and fogerty will be the two midfielders with mullan being 11 so its almost impossible for him to get a look in , also the likes of cooney and niland were fantastic this year

we should stick him full forward next year to get him one (Malone)

Advertisement