Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV price war of 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭fafy

Interior only has minor cosmetic changes, and we don’t get the 12” screen they do on LHD, its coming next year on RHD.

Exterior is more obvious, removal of the black plastic section on the bonnet, front grill honeycomb is gone, and some rear lighting tweaks, but its relatively minor alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭creedp

Weren't the original ID3 and ID4 significantly discounted so anyone that bought at €34k well speced model got a great deal.

Will be interesting so see if EV prices increase by full €1.5k from 1 July or if the reputed tiny €200 to €300 margin per car is in reality just a little bit more generous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

The base ID.3 1st wasn't particularly well specced. Eg no reversing camera. You had to pay about an extra 7k for the Plus which had the matrix lights etc.

There were also extra incentives such as 2000kWh of free charging at Ionity and free home charger or free service pack (Incl tyres) or free pcp payments(Can't remember the details.)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

First 3 months of PCP payments were refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Not the same at all, they've spent billions in R&D, especially VW to go down the same road Toyota will in time and it's not just batteries they are buying either btw, drive trains etc. Toyota in the end will be proven right to have waited

VW statement today on EV's doesn't read good :) Job losses, plants closing, EV demand down, looking for more incentives lol and then you got Musk having monthly fire sales like Tesla are going into receivership lol

It's gonna be interesting few years that's for sure

"Volkswagen’s Emden plant in the northwest of Germany will remain closed for six weeks, according to a new report. Factory workers on the electric vehicle lines will get an extended one-month summer break, and one shift will be cancelled for two weeks.

Wulff also announced a reduction in the number of plant workers. 300 of the 1500 temporary workers will not have their contracts renewed in August 2023. The workforce reduction and extended holidays point to one conclusion: it’s a sales crisis.

Demand for EVs is down by 30 percent, compared to original production figures. Moreover, potential EV buyers are showing signs of reluctance, Wulff told Nordwest Zeitung. Production of the ID.7, originally slated for July 2023, has been pushed back to later this year.

Volkswagen announced last year that it had planned to invest nearly $1.1 billion in converting and retooling the Emden plant for MEB platform-based electric cars. It employs 8,000 workers at the facility"

The brand makes electric cars at multiple sites across the globe, four of which are in Germany: Emden, Hanover, Dresden, and Zwickau. Its international EV plants, where primarily the popular ID.4 is made, are located in the cities of Anting and Foshan in China, and Chattanooga, Tennessee in the US

Olaf Lies, the minister of economic affairs for the state of Lower Saxony, told the newspaper that Volkswagen’s decisions in Emden were “understandable.” To counter the sales slump, he called for a reduction in value-added tax (VAT) and additional EV incentives.

Volkswagen Group sales were up by 68 percent in Europe in Q1 2023 year over year, while US sales increased by a remarkable 98 percent. However, China sales were down by a worrying 25 percent, as it is VW Group’s largest market, and also the biggest plug-in car market by volume in the world"

Volkswagen Faces Headwinds In EV Market: Emden Plant Production Reduced (insideevs.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Your not comparing like with like though.

VW had a lot of incentives to get customers signed up for the 1st as there were so many delays and software issues. I waited 17months for mine and then dealt with all the software issues for the first few months of ownership. The base facelift is €40,500 OTR.

plus is there anything that’s not gone way up in price the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah that's kind of my view as well, the ID.4 1st Max that I got was around €57k new

Now it's €72k for what is largely the same car. The "improvements" are better Travel and Parking assist (whatever) and a Heat Pump (overhyped)

So I either pay off the loan and keep the car, trade down to a lower spec for the same amount of money, or go with a competitor (of which none really appeal to me)

It's for this reason I think I'll be paying off the loan and keeping the car for a few more years yet, I just don't see anything that makes the cost of changing worthwhile

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭creedp

In what market are VW seeking increased incentives? Europe / US markets up 68% /98%. Hard to argue for increased incentives in that context. Reality is the big legacies have been milking the EV incentives for the last few years while also increasing their margins on ICEs, blaming wars, supply constraints, etc, ETC. for ever increasing prices. Maybe it's time to look internally at reducing costs of manufacture /margins rather than seeking even more taxpayer incentives to sustain their current pricing model / restricted range of models which is unsustainable and a key contributor to a shrinking market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think waiting on Chinese OEM's to supply all the drivetrain parts will be the death of any manufacturer who goes down that route. If you aren't spending R&D money on the parts that drive the car you'll end up a glorified coach builder and lose any of the advantages that come from building an integrated system.

None of the traditional auto makers are buying drivetrains from the likes of BYD, the only difference between Toyota and VW is that they've joined the electrification push later.

I agree, but that's what's going to happen unless they put tariffs on them or something

Isn't that how all electronics are built these days, some may be assembled in Europe but it's mostly Eastern parts shipped over, a car assembly will be no different than iPhones, will be impossible to compete against the East

EV's are not complicated to make and that will be the autogiants downfall, the Chinese will be able to build amazing EV's much cheaper, while building a modern diesel engine requires real skill, an EV motor is simple, 1 in 3 jobs in places like Germany are in someway connected to the auto industry. i personally think this 2030 ICE ban will be scrapped very soon, when Germany and France start crying about job losses

It's great for the consumer though, might be able to get a decent EV at a reasonable price from China or because of China soon

• Advertisement

EU I presume going by the article

Yes fully agree, autogiants have taken the piss for years and I can't wait for the Chinese to bury a few of them, like you said the excuses for the extortionate prices have been endless, covid, semiconductors, Ukraine, emissions, wages, EU grants, while they made record profits year after year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Don’t think it will be such a quick win for the Chinese. Car buyers value a reputation for safety and reliability which takes decades to establish. Chinese will be starting from zero and some of them are bound to cut corners and get caught out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You sound like the people who forecasted the death of western automakers since the Japanese, then the Koreans, and now the Chinese entered the business.

We'll just a see a shift in market segments, the Euro manufacturers will just stop selling cars to cheap people who just want a box that can move.

They will be downsizing big time and lots of job losses then

The french and germans will be on the street protesting if they only do high end like you think, Germany is nothing without car industry employment

The Koreans and Japs have taken massive market share over last few decades, Japs almost killed the US car industry, its not a longshot to say the Chinese will do to the EU what the Japs did to the US in the 1970s, when Jap cars flooded the US market

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Mr Q

"1 in 3 jobs in places like Germany are in someway connected to the auto industry"

Are you sure that is correct? That would be around 15 million people.

That's just branding, Volvo, MG and even new Tesla Model 3 are Chinese cars now, some reassembled in EU countries like Volvo but Chinese.

BYD has a good reputation and they can always just go out and buy household brands like Ford if they choose to not start from zero

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

€600 gets you a better aftermarket reverse camera which integrates well

Saw it mentioned in an article before, its directly responsible for 1 million jobs alone and then you have all the indirect industry, cars and car parts exports represented 20% of Germanys GDP in 2021 and 34% of it's R&D expenditure.

How is Germany and the EU gonna survive without the engine is everyone's concern, there is a reason they've been dragged kicking and screaming into making EV's, they never wanted ICE to end and why would they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

Ford are basing (some of) their designs on MEB platform so it's only a small step to go for some BYD platform in the future. Where the Chinese are poor at the moment is the annoying software features, but once things standardise there it will a tough place to compete for the European makes. So far some of the European manufactures have managed to keep their head above the surface by focussing on posh models but I really think that most of the "Premium" makes are living on borrowed time and cashing in on their history without any substance.

Personally I think the big problem for the Chinese brands is interior design. They're a bit too quirky for the European market. The guitar strings in the Atto 3 are a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

It must be worrying for the Europeans though that the Chinese are not just building white goods but actually adding their own style. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, myself included, but the approach is very different from what the Koreans did back in 90's where they did bland but good cars to compete against the other volume makes. Now the Chinese are targeting "premium".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I love it when Irish people criticise physical goods that are manufactured in other countries as we do precious little here of our own volition.

😁

I think it's us copying UK consumers who did actually do all kinds of manufacturing in their country, once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there some bias here, people on these motor and ev forums are "engaged" buyers, they take an interest, they do research, and they debate. They are not the silent majority.

I don't think most families will give 1 hoot about the guitar strings (something constantly raised on fora and review videos). Price, space, and regarded as safe are the 3 things that will drive most sales in my opinion. thoughts? From what I have seen the interiors are absolutely fine in some of these newer cars.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 20 routetoot

I'm buying at moment. Choice of Stepway auto for 24k or a mg4 LR for 34k. That price gap is too big for me. I've ordered the Stepway to cheaply tide me over for next few years until EV prices come down or a better tech comes along.

I think cheap and boring is what sells cars to the masses. Weird design doesn't tend to age well. The top selling cars in Ireland are all pretty boring safe options from known manufacturers, I don't think BYD's interior styling is compatible with that yet.

Feel the exact same, borrowed time is a good way to put it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nissan Juke is IMO, one of the ugliest cars on the market, especially the MK1 version. but wierdly one of Nissan's best selling cars in Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There a 2021 ID.3 going for €25k which would probably have the same range as the MG4 LR, definitely gonna close the €1k price gap to the Stepway in a year or two

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/id-3-style-pro-58kwh-204hp-2021-immediate-sale/33696514

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Is it NIO with the stupid hello kitty type head assistant on the dash

• Advertisement

Advertisement