Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

I complained about this ridiculous decision previously in this thread. They built a Dual Carriageway from Turlough to Westport, and then plonked a roundabout into it.

Either a GSJ (if it was justified) or a bridge should have been built here for the (now) R309. Castlebar does not need four exits onto the road.

Consider the scenario - you're coming from the Turlough direction to Westport and you're flying along on the Castlebar Bypass @ 100km/h and, for no good reason, you either have to massively decelerate, or else come to a complete stop here.

Personally, I think it was interference by politicians, on behalf of some local vested interests, that got this built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

What was said here previously was that it was the expected high volume of traffic using that junction which is why it is a RAB and not a GSJ. I don't see why it would be a particularly high usage junction, only traffic from west of Castlebar looking to access certain parts of Castlebar would use it, for other parts of Castlebar they'd continue to another junction. Anything from east or south of Castlebar would use other junctions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You mean they think both roads would be low volume which is why they went with roundabout. Doesn't make sense if it both were high volume roads as a roundabout would just cause traffic jams.

If one or both were going to be high volume then a fly over would have made more sense as the traffic can move freely on both roads then. And just add ramps to access the new road if you were on the old road.

They were cheap skates which is why there is a roundabout. Nothing to do with high volume as I have pointed out earlier in this post.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are two options for junctions on a 2+2.

At grade roundabouts

Compact GSJs (ala N5/N60, N5/N84)

Compact GSJs are used when there isn’t much traffic expected to be switching between the mainline and the side road. At grade roundabouts are used for busy junctions.

Given the volumes on 2+2s and the context of junctions such as this there shouldn’t be any issues

At grade roundabouts are used for busy junctions.

What about the junctions on the M50. They are hardly low volume and they do not have a roundabout plonked halfway down the road?

When I was talking about fly overs I meant something like the junctions on the M50. They were cheap skates plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I know it's not a motorway but still it was a foolish decision to put a roundabout half way down a new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Westernview

I don't think the roundabout is such a big deal. I drove the whole road today and it didn't feel like it held me up much once I was bypassing both towns. Also while the new road was busy I noticed a fair bit of traffic still on the old N5, which is to be expected from the western outskirts of Castlebar and also the fact that the population between this roundabout and the first westport roundabout still has to use the old road as there is no access to the new road for these areas in between.

So the roundabout is probably there to give all 4 roads accessing it the opportunity to slow down but not get stuck in backed up traffic which may happen for cars on the old N5 coming off a GSJ. The roundabout on the Turlough road side is probably there for the same reason.

The main reason for the new road is to improve safety and relieve congestion in the 2 towns and I think the designers knew what they were doing.

Also the relatively new N4 section between Castlebaldwin and Coolooney also has roundabouts along it so it seems it's not unusual to have them on a 2+2.

The main reason for the main road is to improve safety and relieve congestion in the 2 towns

Westport will still be backed up as they only went to the north side of the town to relieve congestion they should have also built a ring road to the south side of the town so people travelling the new road wouldn't still have to drive through the town to get to that side of the town.

The man who you need to get onto to start pushing that will be delighted to have it called a Ring Road given it would be named after him. :)

• Advertisement

Well it will still reduce congestion to some degree at the westport end in terms of taking Allergan lorries, Kilmeena and Achill bound traffic as well as traffic from the northern side of Westport. Of course it wont be as good as a full ring road to the southern end but I never said it was. But anyway that's all a separate issue to the roundabout we were discussing but by all means move on to complaining about that as well.

My main point is that whether its a roundabout or GSJ at the half way point it has little or no impact on whats happening at either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The old N5 will still have considerable traffic using it, hence the roundabout.

Being able to bypass Castlebar is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭HBC08

I saw the Google car around Castlebar last week,maybe they were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Drove it yesterday evening to Newport. Fantastic piece of infrastructure. One point, Newport should be signposted from Castlebar via the main road. It’s a faster and safer route. You’re literally at the edge of Westport in minutes. You could almost call Castlebar and Westport twin towns now they are that close.

The moaning online is hilarious. People saying the €250 million should have been “given” to the hospital. That’s not how funding works and I wouldn’t trust the management of the hospital with a bucket.

Plenty of people from Westport & surroundings having to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance will be there quicker now and will have better outcomes.

There’ll also be a huge drop in casualties as a result of N5 + N59 accidents

Much better than giving to the HSE to piss up against a wall. €24bn is enough for them

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Also I’m a firm believer in building for the future. Build it and they will come. This new road will hopefully entice more investment and jobs in the area. I live in south Mayo and the upgrading of the Castlebar to Ballinrobe road is a must in my opinion along with the road to the motorway to Tuam via Kilmaine.

The moaners today would have been against the building of knock airport in the 80s.

100%. The money would go elsewhere.

People just love moaning....even the locals

- Dublin gets everything our roads are terrible!

- Ok we will do the biggest infrastructural project ever in Mayo improving safety, connectivity, reducing congestion and pollution in towns and boosting tourism

- We don't want it!!

The funny thing reading the comments of people complaining that the money is being spent on this route instead of other routes is that this project was kept going during the quiet period post 2011 by Enda, but we are slow at infrastructure delivery that it's only now being opened. 2 Taoiseachs later it took to get it delivered.

Hopefully the other N5 scheme gets built soon so Michael Ring gets use out of it before he retires

(Not for one second arguing against the project btw - having a senior FG deputy in my constituency helped massively with getting my beloved N22 scheme built).

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

But but but shure everone knows enda did nothign for mayo/castlebar. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭pjordan

Yep, but they're still talking about Pee's (and by extension Bev's) great achievement of getting the previous N5 bypass for Castlebar 30 years ago. "They might have been crooked but sure look what they done for the county!" You should try it sometime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Ya sure all Enda did was .

• build a new factory in Castlebar
    • keep the road from Westport tipping away and lead to getting it build
    • keep the other N5 project moving along

sure he did nothing for the county at all

Also,

• Additional 75 bed ward for Sacred Heart home.
    • 12 million euro Lough Lannagh leisure complex - an excellent facility IMO
    • Signed off a Strategic Development zone (SDZ) status for Knock Airport, which can potentially generate over 4000 new jobs. (unlikely it would have even been considered if he was not Taoiseach)

So yeah he did nothing. And remember the first half of his term was about getting the country off its knees when funding for capital spending was severely curtailed.

Post edited by Westernview on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

When did this thread turn in to a party political broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Threads here regularly cross over into politics, it seems to be considered entirely acceptable as long as a politician/political party is being criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I am not pro or anti Enda Kenny. Never voted for him but he always seemed to do well by Mayo. This is straying well in to FG election leaflet territory though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I didn't even want to post because I've basically written the same thing too many times at this stage, but since others brought it up...

I don't enjoy the near-constant party politics in this forum. I don't have any interest in politics. I don't care whether they're green or FF or FG or anyone. If I was interested in politics I'd be on the politics forum.

The idea that Enda Kenny is a great man for "getting de road done" is equally as sickening to me as Eamon Ryan stopping a road from being done for "reasons". I want tax money spent properly and don't enjoy reading about people abusing it. It's pure backwards stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry lads, that's my fault for starting it.

No more politics unless it has absolute relevance please.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Probably not surprising. A few weeks after the Tuam bypass opened I saw a car coming the wrong way down an off ramp at the Kilmaine road junction. Some people are just absolutely clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I still see cars on the wrong side of the N40 from time to time.

Some aged drivers might only be on a DC or Motorway a handfull of times a year and get all flustered. That'll be particularly acute in the North West where there just aren't as many roads like that. It's more a sign that our licensing system is crazy than any kind of issue with the road design IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Indeed, and some ancillary work may need to be done to protect people from themselves (and from others).

IIRC, the bollards at this junction of the M18 were installed in response to a motorist ending up on the wrong side of the Motorway. Since they have been installed, the problem has not re-occurred.

Advertisement