Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fergal Darcy axed from Today FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭HBC08

He seems annoyed going by that and was nt his idea to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

No sane person would volunteringly jack in a daytime slot on national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Does that post suggest he's going working for Supermacs? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They are the sponsor of his show. Can see them jumping ship to The Two Johnnies

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gerdy baby

We are all pretty fickle. And in 2 or 3 weeks most of us will have forgotten he was ever there. But if anybody hears where he goes doing whatever let us know, I live in North of Ireland so won't hear

• Advertisement

I think he just said his All Irish Sunday morning show is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Some come down from daytime national radio slot to Sunday morning slot.

Think that show is pre recorded, we'll see how long it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Finding 5000 listeners at that hour of the morning is no mean feat, I'd say plenty of primetime 2FM shows would kill for a 5K increase. Those JNLR numbers make sure that to the people who matter, Fergal isn't leaving the station with his tail between his legs and there's nothing the most savage boards radio critics can do about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have him on here in the background. He gets a lot of hate on here but it’s clear that boards critics are in the minority! He’s had a string of Irish artists on today and they’re all falling over themselves to thank him for his efforts in helping promote their music. All seems very genuine.

It also seems quite unusual that someone who’s been “axed” is getting the freedom to do a last show like this. Clearly his bosses think highly of him too (despite axing him!)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

I've been listening in today for most of his show today and would generally catch his show most days.

Hats off to Fergal, There is no other daytime presenter / Jock that has done more for Irish artists during Peaktime radio.

He has been dropping little hints and clues during the show, I have a feeling he may pop up on an other station sooner rather than later.

Turns out tomorrow (Sunday morning) is the last All Irish as well. As of 9am he's donezo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I tolerated Fergal when I started listening to his show more and more if I was out and about when it was on. But wouldn't be a huge fan of him, sad to say nothing better on.

Caught the start and end of Ray Foley's show today. My god I though Fergal was a bit full of himself, but that Ray fella is in the Premership division of full of himself compared to Fergal. I'll def be switching the dial in future for his show.

Neither of them were as full of themselves as their immediate predecessor, Tony Fenton (RIP) he was on first name terms with practically every music act he played on his show. "Here's another one from Bono and the boys"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Tony Fenton was a great DJ, and sadly the standard of DJ's / Presenters today is nowhere near to the standard of what Tony was at.

I even tuned into Gareth O'Callaghan's first new show on Saturday morning, again a top class DJ who knows how to present.

They just don't make them like they used to sadly.

Well, let me ask, would you still think the old Djs are/were superior if they had as little control of their music playlists as the radio presenters have today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

He was on first name terms with Bono and U2. They sang at his funeral and had a great amount of respect for him.

I was at his funeral and he would have loved that.

Any update on Fergal D'Arcy?

Isn't it kind of surprising that no other Radio station have given Fergy at gig ?

• Advertisement

I would wonder if he is technically on gardening leave or something to that affect limiting him from working for other stations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I miss Fergal. There I said it.

He's gone a whole year now, I doubt gardening leave would last longer than 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭squonk

Never listened to his show so don't know him at all but I hope he's working in the background doing something anyway. There are very few radio personalities in these parts I'd wish long term unemployment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

He is very active on social media, he just seems to be doing small gigs here and there and hanging on the coat tails of the likes of the Coronas.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Drifter100

Its a shame really. OK he was`nt in the top drawer of DJ`s but see what all the Bauer Media stations have now, they are simply employees pressing buttons for a playlist and promoting their cash call

The days of following a good DJ are gone I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

There

I listen to Dermot & Dave, Ray Foley and Claire Beck almost religiously, so not for me anyway.

First I've heard of it, Must be a trial at that time. He's almost a year and a half off the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Good man Ferg, glad to hear him back on the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Midnight to 2am graveyard slot... you have to start somewhere.

Advertisement