Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow town bus service

Options

Comments

Neither route stops at the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Thanks for the link PC; have addressed a number of issues in that forum tonight but the omittance of railway stops serving incoming trains both directions and also the hospital & school area (there's what, 4-5 Primary, National & Secondary Schools there not to mention Carlow College which will, in time, be linked to the railway station without having to leave the campus) are odd but as I've said over there this could be down to current road design/layout; turning right from Green Lane to Train Station's a no no just as turning right coming from St. Josephs Rd. back onto Green Lane is also a no-no currently; you gotta go left & then into filter lane, McGamhna Rd. & come back in by Pollerton Rd./Accommodation Rd./Hoseys & left onto Green Lane again by Carlow FRS before continuing what would've been a direct route to Barrack St. & Bus Pk.

Stops etc.'re not, pardon the pun, set in stone just yet.

Public Consultation Period closed 26th of Oct. 2020; Cllrs.'ve had this map shown to them during 2018 (as per a local FF Cllr. to me....) & local Chocolate Teapot FF TD (Senator then) would've'd access to it also; PCP would've, should've, been flagged on & in local media at the time of Autumn 2020 for reps. from us (unlike PP these're free to do, make) & on the Carlow Co. Co. site also.

Have sent in these queries to local media but wouldn't expect a reply before New Year obviously.

Dir. of Transport may well take on private representations if an email is sent (I did this) even if public consultation period is closed a year & 2 months.

No harm linking him to this & the Commuting forum post also.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

Is this really needed? The ones in Kilkenny always seem empty and they have a bigger population, as well as the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

only slightly, Kilkenny and Carlow are very similar in size. While the Kk one started off slowly (coinciding with Covid lockdowns) it’s definitely gotten busier of late as the service beds in. I’d expect the Carlow one the same and is definitely needed especially with the college and all. Decent public transport should be accessible for all not just the biggest cities and Carlow is more than big enough to warrant it

Didn't we have a bus service about 15 years ago, It was called Carlow link or something like that. Always looked empty to me.

I'm hoping this new service is a success and people use it. It'll be great for students attending the college as they can now look for accommodation on the line rather than just near the college.

• Advertisement

CW-KK GP TD Malcolm Noonan has an update on Carlow Town Bus Service https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=362458545883423&set=a.348716230590988

Carlow Town Bus Services x 2 Routes & Stops Draft Plan with a Q1 2023 provisional start scheduled https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5466589370093555&set=a.612712168814657

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

Great news. Hopefully now it's completely the January side of Q1 and not the late March !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Well considering how unfinished it still looks, I doubt it will be ready for January.

• Advertisement

Up and running by the end of April apparently! Excited to see it running

I see John Cassin has said it won't be running until July 🙄 why do these things take so long.

Yeah I was going through this thread & the Commuting & Transport one too & various dates were scheduled, announced by local & national politicians incl. Q3 2022, Q1 2023 & it's now gonna be Q3 2023......

Have seen the buses being trialed round the town in recent months; they're the same livery as KK & Athlones; presume this is a standard across all town bus services as driven (!) by BE/TfI/NTa etc.

Bus driver recruitment is underway on BE website; expect to see more buses being trialled locally in coming weeks to prepare drivers for the routes & intermediate stops & to gauge the times; every 30 mins. between 6am & 12 Midnight's both quite decent & also ambitious.

The services have serious potential & I do hope they're embraced; certain commenters on social media locally tend to be so against change it's laughable they're even on social media at all & not just sticking to crayon & paper!!

Yes the train station/hospital/Leos/CBS/St. Josephs/SMgS/Bishop Foley stop or lack thereof seems an odd omission but there's gotta be a bit of give & take + that junction is unsuitable for a right turn coming in from, along, Green Lane to St. Josephs Rd. ; as someone said in C&T thread on this, it's 350 metres on foot as opposed to 1.7 Kilometres round trip for a bus to service this area.

Along with increase in cycle paths, increased use of e-Scooters, this cross town bus service provides another option to try persuade those in the areas serviced by the buses to ditch the car; there's so many making short journeys from Tullow Rd. to work/school/shopping that would be better served, financially & physically, by using one or a mix of the multiple modes of alternative transport available locally.

Yeah hopefully there's a good uptake on it. I'll be using it myself more than the car all going well. So much easier and less stressful to just hop onto a bus and go downtown.

As it happens the "main" bus shelter (and I use that term loosely; I don't see the bus shelters, three in total, as being functional for Irish climate....) at the top-end of the coach park has been temporarily removed; this is to faciliate a living roof bus shelter to replace same.

Seems to've started out in Utrecht & spread to UK etc. ; strikes me as less of an opportunity for mindless vandalism & low maintenance for county council also https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/24/bus-shelter-roofs-turned-into-gardens-for-bees-butterflies-aoe

Unsure if the other bus shelter/s will also see a living roof added in due course and/or the one on Green Lane currently not being used by Bus Eireann or JJs on way in.

Routes for CW1 & 2 here & train station IS mentioned along with town park........but no bus park stop (unless in CW1 Route there's a typo.....) & on CW1 "only" as far as Tyndall College & NOT Dolmen Hotel.

Totally understand concerns about some Tullow Rd. estates being somewhat excluded but there's gotta be some give & take & the ideal is to not be more than 450m from a bus stop.

If we keep chopping & changing then the "July" start date will end up being "Yes, July, but which year?".

Sunday the 16th of July is the launch date as per KCLR 96 FMs 11am News this morning via Mayor Cllr. Fintan Phelan FF; Cllrs., Bus Eireann, NTA etc. boarded a trial bus this morning covering the two routes.

6am-12 Nidnight 7 days a week

55 Cents for U-24s & €1.10 Adults

https://kclr96fm.com/new-carlow-town-bus-service-to-be-trialed-later-today/

Some stats & other info from a local Cllr. this evening about CW 1 & 2

Free travel cards will also be accepted and it is estimated that over 30% of passengers will travel for free.

94% of Carlow town’s population will be within 800m of a bus stop, and 68% will be within 400m

The two new Carlow town bus routes, CW1 and CW2, will be operational seven days a week, with buses every 30 minutes. In the town centre where the 2 routes meet, there will be a bus roughly every 15 mins.

The buses will run from 6 am to 12 pm everyday. (Slightly later start on a Sunday). The early buses are time to allow passengers to connect to the early trains.

Fares are very affordable, at 55c for under 24s and €1.10 for an adult. That single fare also allows passengers to change from one route to another to continue their journey.

As per KCLR 96 FM today, Tuesday the 11th of July 2023 the wheels on the Carlow Town bus services won't be going round and round from Sunday the 16th of July 2023 as was previously announced; instead the latest date announced is Sunday the 30th of July & it's all down to driver recruitment issues..................

Ffffffffs!! Was thinking it seemed a bit too quiet for them to have the service up and running and all bus stops built within the next 5 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,370 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where is the bus depot going to be, I can’t see them parking up at the bus park for the night.

As per 2023-2024 Cathaoirleach Cllr. Andrea Dalton (FF) Bus Eireann have now brought forward the launch of CW1 & CW2 to Thursday the 27th of July at 12 Noon

The traffic in Carlow Town is already crazy.

All these bus stops are just going to make it 10 times worse.

It should calm down once people get used to the bus being available. The idea is people will take the bus instead of driving for those short inner town trips. The amount of people that go from Graigue to the town for the likes of An Post or shopping is mad, hopefully these journeys will now be taken by bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,370 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trying to get a bus past all the schools in the morings and evenings where parents park anywhere they feel like on footpaths double yellow lines etc will be a nightmare and cause big tail backs.

I just can't see those parents letting their kids take the town bus to school.

Call one cynical but......

Politicians (Cllrs., TD, Min. for State) & some hangers-on/groupies (we all know them/who they are) & local media rocked up to bus park on Friday the 9th of June for a "trial run of CW1" https://www.malcolmnoonan.com/post/new-bus-routes-launched-today-will-be-transformative-for-carlow-town

Now Thursday the 27th of July is the "Official Launch" at 12 Noon (presumably in the bus park; there'll be 1500 Leap Cards with credit on them & would imagine they'll be being given out on the day itself)

But it's not til Sunday the 30th of July itself that the actual buses, routes CW 1 & 2 begin running........

How many photo ops do the NTA, BE, TfI, Politicians & their groupies/hangers-on need......

Am (still) 100% supportive of bus services as I've said all along; this is a game-changer for the town & while there's always gonna be the Negative Ninnies who won't give up their cars if you told them the bus would pick 'em up at their doorstep & drop 'em right back to it, these services open up the town to so many; as per above Green Party link the services are targeted at areas of low car ownership too & this improves accessibility & permeability for those parts of the town.

Also for 55 Cents or €1.10 you can go from Wexford Rd. Business Pk. & any of the stops in between to Barrow Valley Retail Pk. (Dunnes in old money).

I.e It's the 1 Fare; you don't pay twice as per above link.

Do that in a taxi; Ken Blacks to Bus Pk. & Bus Pk. to Dunnes & it's gonna be €14 (7 x 2).

Bit more detail in terms of times from each start & end point

On this matter it appears to be behind the train station; bordering the Youth Centre car park; it's visible from platform in train station.

Access to it is off Green Lane if I've my geography correct.

Am 100% open to correction on this though........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

I saw one of the buses heading over from abbeyleix direction this morning.

• Advertisement

Full map of CW1 & 2 routes, stops, starts & ends (Crd. Cllr. Fintan Phelan FF)

Advertisement