Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's a fairly hefty delay. No change to the core gameplay though, looks like it'll stay that bullet sponge style.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,634 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

18 is too much. New game on launch doesn't mean much when it's a carbon copy of every other bland generic open world game with a map full of shyte that they put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I'd say something if they were hopping out unique releases, but copy/paste yearly additions are not worth that much per month. GP/PS+ is just about worth it, compare libraries! I hope in a positive way that it doesn't work out for them, because TV is already ruined by too many sub services, don't want the same in gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

When I first got uplay plus (as it was called back in the day 😁) it was through Stadia.

And as Stadia had a mobile app, I could pay through provider credit from Three!

I had access to the PC version and the Stadia version for 15 p/m and it was during a bunch of new releases, so felt great to have everything at launch.

Now they want 18 p/m for this cross service, that people who game exclusively on Xbox can't take advantage of the PC games (which has a bigger library) and there's no Three credit anymore (cos I moved providers) and there's no new releases on the horizon (that I can think of).

Not looking like the bargain it once was for me!

But, if a new game is on the way out and you sub for 2 months (36) and beat it, it could be worth it then! 🙂

EDIT:

I'm with you, would be nice if instead of charging 18, they maybe dropped it to 10, for Xbox only, with it's smaller library of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I don't know where they're getting this pay more for less mentality! Maybe it's a sign of the stupidity of the market. Can't imagine PC players paying extra just to play the same games on Xbox. Or maybe they do, I dunno, doesn't seem to match the pc mantra. And don't get me wrong, there are some good games in there. But it's a library full of copy/paste games at a time when people seem to be getting sick of that formula. Does not compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

PlayStation is acquiring Firewalk Studios

Based in Bellevue, WA, Firewalk was formed in 2018 as part of ProbablyMonsters, an independent AAA game company founded by CEO Harold Ryan (former CEO, President and Chairman at Bungie) that builds sustainable game teams focusing on original AAA games. Firewalk's team of best-in-class developers, led by industry veterans Tony Hsu (Studio Head, previously GM and SVP of Destiny at Activision) and Ryan Ellis (Game Director, previously Creative Director at Bungie), have years of collective expertise on some of gaming's most successful and impactful multiplayer titles. ProbablyMonsters and Firewalk announced an exclusive publishing partnership with SIE in April 2021 and now Firewalk will be the 20th studio to join PlayStation Studios.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who?

I'm guessing the company was set up to be acquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's an odd one. The company "probably monsters" sets up new studios. Firewalk was one of them. Sony seems to have bought firewalk? So probably monsters just goes back to building another new studio?

I guess if you are good at setting up studios then why not make that your business. I'm sure more often than not new studios fail because they were never set up for success in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling with the big players involved that it's a quid pro quo thing between them and Sony. Just business. Just kind of weird they announce it like that. It's a studio that has done nothing. I wouldnt mind if they bought a well known studio. I mean I've literally worked on more released games than them 😂

Apparently they're currently developing a AAA multiplayer game for PS5 and PC.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they were being funded by Sony from the start. The announcement is still weird. Makes sense for Sony since they said they were looking for service games to add to the portfolio but I don't think anyone outside Sony will care.

Retro, absolutely no problem if you can't or don't want to, but can you give any insight to the games you worked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭quokula

Led by the guy who was previously creative director at Bungie and who led the development of Destiny 2 before founding this studio. They've been going for 5 years, have around 150 employees and Sony have been involved with them for a while too. Sony have obviously been monitoring progress and they've seen enough to impress them behind closed doors to formally make the acquisition. It's kind of win-win. The founders take on the risk, knowing if it works out they get a pay day with a buyout, but if they don't produce something up to scratch then that's on them. For Sony they put in some early funding and help the team develop, but they retained the ability to walk away at any point without repercussions up until they've seen enough to be confident that this is a team that is worth fully bringing on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I came up with the idea for half life but Gabe Newell stole it from me. That then lead to creative lead on the ace combat series.

Joking aside, it was a now delisted game on ipad. Harry's Magic Tables. I coded the game part of the project by myself. Not much evidence of it, I think cnet has an entry on it.

Not the most prestigious of triple A games but I'm proud of it. The turn around time was about 4 months. The project was going to be scrapped because the team had promised too much in terms of the game but I got drafted on board because I told them I could code the AI for the game. It was kind of weird that I was drafted in to save the project as everyone else had computer science degrees of some sort and I was the only one that could do it with a 6 month crash course in coding.

It was part of the springboard courses so was essentially slave labour. Anyway it was handed over to gill and McMillan on time. And to my surprise it managed to sail through apple certification with no changes to my code. The app got a bit of press which might still be online as it was chosen to represent the course as it was the only games project that actually got completed let alone released. Unfortunately the publisher had this idea they could charge Minecraft prices for it so they priced it out of the market and by the time they lowered the price the press had well died down.

Anyway I enjoyed working on it even though I killed myself working 16 hours every day of the week to get it out the door. Proud of it. Then couldn't get into the industry as everything was a start up and they wanted me to work for free as the recession was in full swing.

Ireland isn't exactly a hub of triple A development but was fun being in it for a while and seeing how it worked and working in a properly managed dev team. Did a few game jams as well which were fun. Just the whole working for dole money and then being asked to work for free for every job wasn't appealing after I'd spent a year on the dole.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Ah that's class man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Time to put Ace Combat 7 and Days Gone into the swear filter so they appear as *** ****** * and **** ****

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That's pretty impressive. Fair play.

And here I was thinking I was great getting nearly 10k downloads for a stupid android soundboard app.

What I learned from coding is that even the simplest looking app can be quite complicated. I'm sure it was a decent chunk of work. I wouldn't be surprised if your soundboard got more downloads than Harry's!

• Advertisement

Yeah I did the same course in the Digital Hub. That game jogged my memory as I definitely heard of that before, I did the course in (2012/2013 I think)

I was there 2012-2013 as well. I think they got rid of the games part of the course shortly afterwards which is a shame.

That's a shame, some of the design classes were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My app got app store review bombed by (what I assume were) friends of a rival app. Icing on the cake.

The funniest moment I had was when the entire class turned against the lecturer who used to work for Sierra during a class. He was explaining how they used to pick which games got the bigger marketing budget and then the class figured out he was basically admitting that he was the one that shafted Homeworld out of its marketing budget and sent it out to die.

He was a decent guy and knew his stuff but there were a lot of Homeworld fans in the class!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's strange we have FANNG et al here, but AAA video game development didn't really take off. I think it's because we are risk averse as a nation/economy. And there is much more money available in "boring" software dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is Havok still used? Wasn't that Irish? I know it's not a game but it was used in plenty of AAA games.

Started up by a trinity lecturer and some students he hired. They had or might still have a small office in the digital hub on James street but they've been bought by Microsoft so not sure where they are now.

Oh its all the governments fault. During my time in the industry Canada was blowing up in terms of game dev because of tax cuts and they were poaching talent and developers. The UK government really screwed up by refusing to introduce their own tax cuts for their own videogame industry. So the Irish games industry was lobbying politicians to take the opportunity to introduce Irish tax cuts and poach UK talent and developers.

But being Irish politicians with no foresight they let the opportunity get away from them and the UK brought in their own cuts.

Another big reason is the lack of coding in Irish schools. The UK was on the ball introducing coding into the curriculum in the 80s. Pretty sure Ireland still hasn't. As a result you have a lot of uk coders in the industry that got their start with assembly on microcomputers and their coding stills are ahead of most other coders that learn higher level languages. There also so really great development studios over there for triple A games.

We did have Funcom Dublin. Seanseanson has a great YouTube video on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's now possible for a single person to create a game with AI generated art and sound and even a lot of the code. As a actual game for retail or a very good prototype.

So, that's one big hurdle out of the way for a good develope with a great game design.

Advertisement