Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Live - Real Time Transport Planner App

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I used the app this morning for a trip to connolly. The time shown was 10.41 with realtime shown beside it. 10.41 came and went and it still said 10.41. The display in the station showed that it was delayed. So much for being realtime. The info was available it just didn't show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭p_haugh

That's on Irish rails end to be fair, they're providing the data to the NTA which then in turn is fed into the app.

It isn't just an issue with TFI Live, even the Irish Rail app is prone to not showing the correct "real time" information, be it timings or the "live" train location.

Well Irish rail had the data as they displayed it in the station so I think it is presumptuous to assume Irish rail were the problem. If Irish Raul were not providing realtime data for the train then the TFI should not be showing it as realtime data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

How do you know it was a real time info, not the scheduled (theoretical) time of departure?

The app clearly wasn't showing real time info as the train was delayed and the app didn't show this. It did have the word realtime next to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭trellheim

this new app is really hard to use . Dublin Bus and the old TFI app have it beat in to the ground . I speak as mainly a DB user at the moment . I cannot see what on earth they had to throw out the old apps for

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I had the new app on my phone, and went to use it for real today to plan a trip from Ashbourne to Glasnevin, I've removed the app, and sent appropriate feedback to TFI, I'd seen comments about how bad it is, it's worse, there's so many fundamental bugs in it, and an inability to recognise things like a finger tap to identify a stop, an inability to be able to edit the name of favourites, and a complete shambles with stop numbering, so it can't recognise that in some locations, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann share the same stop but use different stop numbers. It also won't allow you to tap on an intermediate stop in the suggested route to see where that stop is on the map, it's that fundamentally flawed.

Some of the suggested routings it came up with were only a stupid joke, I know the area, and things like 3 changes between Finglas and Glasnevin was one supposed option. Unreal, but I suppose we shouldn't expect anything else from people who don't have to justify what they do, or how they do it, it's like the old App that couldn't give a bus from the airport to Ashbourne if you didn't know the stand number it uses at the airport, because the search didn't work. This new app is pretty much the same, and it's gone, and won't be back on the phone any time soon.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

When you look up the times and the notice sign shows , you go into the notice and it shows up the diversions, or tries to ! The page doesn't scroll! Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Sooo, just punched in a journey planner search for a trip from south Dublin suburbs to Greystones and it’s giving me options based on what appears to be weekday timetables. The 84x is prominent in suggestions. Other routes departure times don’t match route frequency on Sunday. Have verified that the date being specified (visibly anyway) is 26/3/23.

is this a known bug or a special clocks forward ball drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I saw this issue yesterday, looking for journey options for today, Sunday. It was giving times on C spine that are for the weekday timetable. Totally useless at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I have removed this app from my phone and suggesting others to do the same. It only takes up the space in my phone, similar to malware/spyware or any other trash, just this one is less harmful.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,105 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sadly it's the only way I know if my bus is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AX636

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Somehow the days and dates are screwed up in the database.

It’s displaying the schedules for the following day for any given date.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Luas green line wasn't operating over the weekend south of Ballaly for maintenance. Yet the app and journey planner were still showing it as operating normally. Absolutely useless. I only found out when I went to my stop and seen the destination on the front of the Luas. Nearly completely messed up my plans.

And were they showing live stop times ?

Neither the old or new app ever showed diversions in Limerick but not sure if they still showed phantom stop times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know what you mean. I just checked the app and it was showing that the luas at my stop was going all the way to bride's glen. I checked the journey planner multiple times over the past week including yesterday morning to see what times the luas was going and when it would get to Carrickmines and the journey planner showed that they were all going to Carrickmines. No mention anywhere that it wasn't going south of Ballaly. Even the displays that show the next luas arrivals were saying they were all going to Sandyford.

I thought your stop was one of the cancelled ones. I get you now.

So ya we have the same problem with buses. For instance my bus didn't show the Paddy's Day diversions. It was always that way on the old app down here as well.

Just tried it now and it was tracking a bus that was down as the dreaded (scheduled) on the app. Even tells you which livery the bus is.

Would have walked home if it wasn't for the site. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I see. I'd put money on someone has changed the First Day of Week setting somewhere on the back end from Monday to Sunday. Have seen it done with similar outcome elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It has now been fixed and the correct schedules are displaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,769 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The new app is a disaster. It trys to be everything for everyone and fails to be any good at all. The old app was far superior and much better. I still have it and still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

There was more planned maintenance work on the Green Line Luas this weekend with no service between Beechwood and Stephen’s Green.

Unlike previous years, there was no bus replacement service, presumably because of the driver shortage. Despite the partial closure affecting thousands of passengers there was no mention of it on the TFI website. Their social media channels do not operate at weekends and they provided no information in the days leading up to the work.

The new TFI Live app, which is currently being heavily promoted and is pinned to the top of their Twitter page, had no information of this disruption. If you used their journey planner it told you to use a tram which was not running. Luas stops on the app show a schedule of expected tram arrivals at closed stops.

How are TFI not on top of this? This is really basic stuff - are they not aware of changes to their services? Or do they know but don’t care enough to update for those of us using their apps, websites and social channels?

I emailed the NTA and Neasa Hourigan about it when it happened and I got back a rather useless boiler plate answer from both. Still if people start hounding them with emails everytime this happens it might lead to something changing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’ve never seen an app beg me to delete it so much as the TFI Real Time. I know they want people to migrate to the new apps but it actually came across as pushy rather than helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭halfpastneverr

I've deleted the old & new app! Bustimes.org is the best thing I've come across for buses in Dublin yet. Easy to use, shows all bus info and map is easy to navigate.

Why can't these app designers just create a basic version similar to it for regular commuters to track their buses and then a journey type planner one for other folks/tourists etc? the new TFI app is so user unfriendly to both sets of customers.

NTA/TFI have such a talent for disimproving services, hats off to them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 transportrian

yep, I used the old app but now after using the new one for a few weeks I always end up just going to bustimes because it's easier. Very bizarre that the new app isn't very user-friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

They've been blowing up my phone with notifications about the old app no longer being supported, pity they didn't put the same level of effort into the new one.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Honestly, I find the new app to be okay. There's a bit more latency with finding my location but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭VG31

The new app isn't great but it's definitely an improvement on the old app. The old app was terrible. My list of saved bus stops was frequently erased meaning I'd regularly have to re-add them which was very frustrating. You couldn't even change the order. The old live map wasn't much use either.

Advertisement