Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah agree with all of this. I’d like it to be Coombes on the bench (assuming Doris is out) but wouldn’t surprise me if it was Timoney given his ability to cover all three back row positions.

It's mad that Cian Prendergast's name never even enters the discussion, people have completely forgotten he exists.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he's ahead of Coombes and I'd be very confident he's ahead of Timoney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Who is the referee for Ireland England.

England's scrum is based on blatant cheating from Genge not being called.

There are certain referees that will blow him in the first scrum and he stops trying (and becomes quiet a poor scrumager) while other referees will let him go all game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Prendergast is next on the line

He warned up yesterday

He can cover 6 and 8

No reason to have Coombes/Tim or anyone else, if Doris is out (I pray he's not), it's Cian 20

At 19

N.Murray next, maybe called in the squad this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Team for next week will almost pick itself, Herring in at 2 assuming neither make it. Baird and Conan will start, Henshaw in at 13. Only big call in the starting XV is at 9.

the bench is where it will be interesting 16,19,20 & 23 are up for grabs.

I think Coombes is likely at 20, Treadwell at 19 and 23 is most likely to be a call based on things like Henshaws fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

England haven't dominated anyone at Scrum or Lineout for the better part of two years - They are unlikely to start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I see Tuilagi is eligible for selection. He's been a bit of a nemesis of ours in the past. Maybe he's past his best, and it takes more than one new man into the England 15 for us to start to worry about them, but I'd have preferred to see Lawrence all the same.

I have been surprised that Murray hasn’t been at least called into a wider squad this year given his age, athletic profile, great lineout performances all season and he also has a bit of niggly aggression to his game too.

Couldn’t see him called up this week, but imagine he’ll be involved post RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Criminal that he still gets elite games, the man is a menace to the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Prendergast was the only backrow warming up pre match on Sunday I believe, would suggest he is ahead of the others

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wasn't aware of that , that probably does mean he's a bit further up the pecking order , but if Conan is starting who would go to 8 in the event of him getting injured?

Just thinking in terms of balance/cover for the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id imagine Healy would go to 8 and win man of the match if Conan got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Prendergast has lined up at 8 a few times for Connacht. Personally would not be keen on that against England though

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Not sure on ref

England caused alot of trouble last year with 14 men

I know England are in a bad place and Ireland are flying it, but the Injuries are mounting and beirne is a big loss and if Doris is missing that's another big loss at the breakdown and in carrying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ross Molony and Tom Stewart called into squad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Kleyn is hard done by, he's had an excellent season.

EDIT: at this stage, rightly or wrongly, Farrell has his pool of players. I've my doubts that anyone that hasn't already been involved will be involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm inclined to agree tbh. As an aside, last time round, I think there were a couple who became eligble for the RWC warm-ups thru the residency (Kleyn himself being one). I'm not sure if there's anyone who becomes available this summer?

I can swallow Stewart ahead of Heffernan, Connacht have only 2 hookers available so better for us and you'd hope Sheehan/Herring on saturday.

BUT Molony instead of N.Murray, it's not understandable, the later is not just in form, but perfectly regularly performing

Anyway Treadwell will be 19 it's just a pure short-term precautionaury call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is Treadwell injured?

The Molony callup suggests Baird will start vs. England. The alternative was to plonk in a like-for-like replacement for Hendy, i.e., a bigger lump. In which case you'd have seen Kleyn or Treadwell called up.

The risk is now the elements. If we get heavy rain, England could really get purchase in the scrum and set piece.

Aside from that, I think Baird will be favored due to his linespeed which was very effective at disrupting the Scottish attack. He just gets out there and makes a nuisance of himself around the 12/13 channel, even if he doesn't line up a ball carrier. England going Smith-Tuilagi would be very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Treadwell is already in camp

I think Treadwell had already been called into the squad after the Beirne injury, no? I'd have to double check but pretty sure he's already with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah good.

That actually allows us a couple of options.

England could really get purchase in the scrum and set piece.

This might have been true for the England of several years ago , but the English scrum and lineout have been consistently poor this season and indeed they weren't great last year either.

At the risk of starting WW3 in here...

When Penny was selected, I think one poster suggested if they started selecting Leinster players like Ed Byrne (he was last summer) and Ross Molony (he has been now), they'd change their mind with regards Leinster players getting favoured in marginal calls.

The point of differentiation being that Penny is a young, high-potential prospect, vs Byrne and Molony being 2 solid pro's who've likely hit their ceiling.

I'm genuinely curious if this would give anyone pause for thought? Or if that particular poster has actually changed their mind? (I'd have to go back and check who it was tho).

Delighted for Stewart. He's been excellent any time I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

There was never even a remote chance that Niall Murray was going to be called in with 3-4 days of training before a Grand Slam decider having never been in the squad before. Whoever was called up needs to be up to speed with all calls, otherwise the quality of training would suffer. His time will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I wonder if Kleyn has asked not to be considered for Ireland or there's some other personal reasons going on given that he hasn't been capped since the RWC and some of the furore and negative press around his selection there.

Our lock pool has become pretty shallow since departures of Roux and Dillane along with the retirement of Toner so it's difficult to form an explanation on grounds of rugby reasons for why he hasn't been involved. He's clearly a superior player than Treadwell or Molony while Baird usually only plays 6 for Leinster. He also fills the niche as a powerful TH lock which we don't have many of and is an experienced lineout caller.

I wonder if Kleyn has asked not to be considered for Ireland or there's some other personal reasons going on

I'd strongly doubt that, tbh. He's been quoted since the 2019 RWC that he'd love to get back in playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Is the fact that they've only called up Stewart and not a second hooker indicative that they expect one of Sheehan/Kelleher to be available?

They need 3 Hookers ready to go on match day if we include the "24th man" cover.

I can't see them not having another player involved in training during the week if there was any chance they might be needed at the last minute.

Advertisement