Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashton Pound being investigated

Options
  • 31-07-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

From Dublin Live website today (I can't post link, sorry) - Ashton Pound have the contract for three Dublin councils (Fingal, Dublin City Council and South Dublin CC). Unpleasant reading but I'm glad it's being investigated.

"Ashton Dog Pound under garda investigation after claims dogs given lethal drug by untrained staff.

A Dublin pound is under investigation by gardai after a number of dogs were allegedly improperly administered a lethal drug by untrained staff members.

Two dogs, a Bichon Frise and an Akita, were allegedly given Dolethal, a controlled drug normally only used by trained vets, on Friday.

The Bichon Frise suffered a suspected overdose and was found dead the next day while it is alleged the Akita was left to suffer horribly for days until it was taken into the care of gardai.

The dogs were due to be euthanized because they were vicious.

It's understood inspectors from the Department of Agriculture are assisting with the investigation.

A garda spokesman told Dublin Live investigations into the case are ongoing.

He said: "Gardaí are investigating an Animal Welfare incident in Ashtown, Dublin. No further information available. Investigations are ongoing."

Dublin Live has contacted Ashton Dog Pound for comment."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ashton-dog-pound-under-garda-18691664.amp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Only been up there the once and my god it's grim. Hope this isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It should be shut down if it is.
    If the Akita is vicious I imagine it has a grim fate despite being rescued

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The vet in the article is the head vet where we go. I find him great, just has loads of ideas when something isn’t working, B can be nervous but is relaxed around him. He saw Lucy for her final visit when they weren’t even open and was just so compassionate.

Surely there is a criminal case here if these allegations are proven?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, please note that where you are quoting a news article you must provide a link to the original source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

That place is a right kip, has always been a kip and should be shut down and the license given to someone else.

Compare them with the likes of Meath pound or Roscommon pound, they are world's apart. Both of these pounds are far more active about trying to find rescue places/homes for dogs and facilities are world's apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rainagain

OP, please note that where you are quoting a news article you must provide a link to the original source.

I couldn't as I am new to boards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

rainagain wrote: »
    I couldn't as I am new to boards.

Ok, I forgot new users cant post links. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kathleen37 wrote: »

I was going to post that link too. You can tell just by looking at the state of the buildings and the cages those poor dogs are being kept in that they don't give a damn. How did they get and keep their contract? Does nobody ever inspect the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

tk123 wrote: »
    The vet in the article is the head vet where we go. I find him great, just has loads of ideas when something isn’t working, B can be nervous but is relaxed around him. He saw Lucy for her final visit when they weren’t even open and was just so compassionate.

Yeah so compassionate that he allows untrained people to deliver doses of a lethal drug so he doesn't have to waste his time hanging around. My dog was pts last year. It didn't take that long from sedation to giving the final injection. He's being paid to do this so it's not like he's doing it on a voluntary basis. His licence needs to be stripped and charges pressed against him for cruelty to animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Yeah so compassionate that he allows untrained people to deliver doses of a lethal drug so he doesn't have to waste his time hanging around. My dog was pts last year. It didn't take that long from sedation to giving the final injection. He's being paid to do this so it's not like he's doing it on a voluntary basis. His licence needs to be stripped and charges pressed against him for cruelty to animals.

We have have what I would class as an extremely right wing organisation’s account of what is happening there. I do not subscribe to their belief system and they would class me as a murderer due to my voting preference ..
    Would love to see another account.. that isn’t Dublin Live churning out somebody’s else’s work. I’m not saying the place isn’t a hell hole but I’d rather see a more main stream and balanced report...ie owners/staff being questioned in the article and not just one person. The other crying vet - who are they and why wouldn’t they give their name? The owners will more than likely walk free here.

That vet should lose his licence. He has knowingly stood over animal cruelty. Although the management of Ashton have failed in their duty of care and again stood over this neglect.

There are too many things wrong in this case for the facility to remain open

The pound has been the subject of questions in official council meetings before.

Dublin City Council cllr asked this question at official DCC meeting in March this year, but I don't know what the answer was (Iink to pdf)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://councilmeetings.dublincity.ie/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=27543&ved=2ahUKEwil0seurfrqAhVRr3EKHbMWBpQQFjAPegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw2owPjBwgOaS3cn7kGcx-TU&cshid=1596296953208

COUNCILLOR CIERAN PERRY
    To ask the Chief Executive in relation to the Dog Pound, can the Chief Executive
    answer the following questions?:
    a) When is the contract with Ashton Pound due for renewal?
    b) What is the current cost of the contract?
    c) Do all four Local Authorities have a contract with Ashton Pound?

Fingal Council last year. I hope a thorough investigation happens.

"Call for new dog rescue centre for Fingal is rejected
    May 04 2019 12:00 AM

Calls for the council, in conjunction with other Dublin local authorities, to construct a purpose built dog rescue centre in Fingal were opposed by Fingal County Council's executive recently, despite councillors claiming an existing facility at Ashtown was not being run in a 'satisfactory' manner.

A motion at a recent council meeting heard that the operation of the rescue centre in Ashtown was an 'absolute disgrace.'"

Full article
    https://amp.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/call-for-new-dog-rescue-centre-for-fingal-is-rejected-38061395.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

mojesius wrote: »
    That place is a right kip, has always been a kip and should be shut down and the license given to someone else.

Compare them with the likes of Meath pound or Roscommon pound, they are world's apart. Both of these pounds are far more active about trying to find rescue places/homes for dogs and facilities are world's apart.

And Carlow/Kilkenny.
    I called in there unannounced one grey and rainy day to ask about a dog. I was shown around and all the dogs were in there individual little “cells” with cosy beds on legs and heaters on in every one of them. I was super impressed! And I know they go above and beyond to find homes, to get veterinary care, and to release dogs to rescue centres. I’m sure their budget is no where near as big as Fingal’s so it just shows what can be done with a bit of determination and commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I adopted my dog from Ashton. The place is every bit as disgusting as reports say. My dog is long haired and was covered in piss and faeces. He hair was so long he could barely see and had matted hair all over his body. The place stinks, it’s dark and cold and no place for an animal. I can’t understand why after numerous reports to the council and protests it’s still functioning as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Evening star

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I agree completly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Evening star

Gael23 wrote: »
    That vet should lose his licence. He has knowingly stood over animal cruelty. Although the management of Ashton have failed in their duty of care and again stood over this neglect.

There are too many things wrong in this case for the facility to remain open
    I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I visited this pound in 2014 and it stank to high heaven. I couldn't raise a member of staff on the phone, by shouting or beeping my horn. I gave up in abject disgust.

• Advertisement

Must have gone downhill. We adopted two from Ashton back in 2009.

Wasn't a great place but we didn't see any neglect either.

Compared to the adoption crowd that consistently refused us any dogs because we were both working (wife part-time) and our garden wasn't big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Must have gone downhill. We adopted two from Ashton back in 2009.

Wasn't a great place but we didn't see any neglect either.

Compared to the adoption crowd that consistently refused us any dogs because we were both working (wife part-time) and our garden wasn't big enough.

Rescues, one in particular, used to work very hard with the pound back then. That relationship ended a few years ago unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Nagle will lose his license if those allegations are true - Dolethal shouldn't ever be in the hands of anyone without a license either. Using phenobarb orally is a recognized shelter medicine technique and approved by the AVMA but the vet should be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Just heard on the news that gardai have seized 32 dogs from a property in swords (possibly stolen) and have taken them to Ashton pound.

I would have thought given the pound is currently under investigation, that maybe they would cease bringing more unfortunate souls to the place? Would have thought they’ve been through enough at this stage.......

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

at least they can t kill them as they are under garda scrutiny

at least they can t kill them as they are under garda scrutiny

I’m sure they have the syringes filled and ready and

The owner has been given a €30,000 fine and lost the contract with DCC. Progress but he should have gone to jail IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I knew before I even went looking who the judge was going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Advertisement