Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names that have fallen out of fashion

Options
  • 18-02-2023 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

When was the last time you saw a baby Pascal or a baby Nancy?

Over to you...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Or an Eamonn… there was a religious, almost extremist I guess living near us growing up… everyone referred to him as Amen.…you literally hear no young fellas now called Eamonn.

a friend of the family was called Wincie or Wincy I’m not sure of the spelling but that was short for Wincelot. 51,868th popular name of all time according to google. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not the sort of thing which can be judged by what people observe locally. The CSO keep national records, and they show that Nancy is more common in recent years than back in the day. Pascal and Paschal have been out of favour since the 1980's.

https://visual.cso.ie/?body=entity/babynames

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Attracta

Assumpta

Mary

Joseph

John Paul

Bridget

Margaret

Denis

Philip

Martin

Now it's all celebrity or obscure Irish names, bar a few old ones like Jack and Molly.

*Hoping my name doesn't appear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not too many Myrtles around these days. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Had this discussion with someone the other day, there are names that are solidly "elderly" and ones which are much more "middle-aged". I can't picture anyone named "Martina" for example who's younger than 40 but older than 65. Not sure about the male names though - maybe Alan or Derek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Enoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Karen, that name is simply not given anymore 😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don't see many people under 40 called Mark or Andrew or Peter. Definately not many young Mary's or Bridget's about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Kathleen

Edith

Veronica

Gobnait

Richard

Gerard

Raymond

Bernard

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Mervyn's are now critically endangered according to David Attenborough.

Climate change is a ruthless master that shows dodo-esque disregard to Polar Bears and Mervyn's that hungry 17th century sailors would be proud of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Quintan

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

I've always liked Fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dublingirl83

eugene

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

Agnes. I actually knew four Agnes (Agni?) over my life but they were all really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gladys

Tadgh

Most what were thought of as saint's names are getting rare.

Peter, Bridie/Bridget, Mary, Simon, Thomas, etc

Weirdly for a once hyper Catholic country, Jesus never became a name unlike in Hispanic countries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Adolf

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder was there male baby born last week on the 14th named Valantine it was a not uncommon name in Ireland at one stage. I was in an old graveyard in Tippeary one time and all the males seemed to be named Corneilus, Charles and Jerrmiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Aquinas and Aloysius. Used to be found back in the 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ulick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nobody has posted 'Nigel' yet???? Surely one of the most old fashioned names there is. Is there a Nigel under 50 in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I think it's really interesting to see names that were so common in the 80s are really dying out. My primary school class was full of Jennifers, Fionas, Julies, Lindas, and Claires. There were fewer than 20 babies named each of these in the 2021 statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Suppose Karen is now a no-no for girls?

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pronsious ? Ambrose , Attracta , Bridgid Bridge

Taidg? Colin.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Farquar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Shove on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anoyone called Jack or Charles/Charlie is likely to be either over 60 or under 15.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

Same with girls names like Jessica, Rebecca, Lorraine, Michelle. My school was full of them & you wouldn't hear of anyone naming their baby that now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Phyllis….the mother has a cousin Phyllis but she’s literally the only one I know first hand, never encountered one anywhere else. Don’t think I’ve met anyone or even heard of anybody in mine or surrounding generations called Phyllis…but I’m aware of a couple of others from way back….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭paul71

????

The reverse is true.

Jack is currently the most popular baby name in Ireland. It was pretty rare 50 years ago.

What is becoming rare is Patrick, 19th on the boys list in 2021.

Advertisement