Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you buy?

Options
  • 02-12-2022 3:49pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My rigid was stolen, my replacement (also rigid) isn't great and its time for me to accept that I am no longer the young buck whose shoulders and body can take all those shocks. It is now taking me days to recover from some rides. Finally time to give up the dream and buy something with suspension.

What is the most general all rounder for Irish trails, bare in mind, I like technical and non technical alike, and get a laugh from other MTBers when I turn upto trails on my rigid or BMX. I am technically quite competent, just not fast as you can't be on some routes with a rigid (although I have tried and know how to fall with style and a smile on my face).

What would your one bike type to get you around everything?

(Note I got a bonus from work which has inspired this line of thought)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Whats your budget, as this will impact your choices.

And do you want a Full sus or Hardtail?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't know is the answer to both, I am not spending stupid money for the sake of it but I will spend good money if its worth it. This said, I get around most trails on a rigid, slowly, so a really good hardtail is fine as there isn't a huge amount of really unrideable stuff in Ireland and comfort is a bonus, not a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

i would recommend a trail bike to be honest.

After a while Hardtails become hard on the bones!! I moved from a HT to the Full Suss. its like a magic carpet ride.

A decent spec Full Sus Trail bike with 150mm up front and 140back is enough to get down all the rough natural stuff around.

It is hard to beat the online only brands for price, so take a look at Canyon.

The spectral starts around 2.5k, a friend has one and its a great machine.

Trek are also good, and you have the bonus of seeing them in the flesh in shops here. Again around the 2.5k mark.

This is really the starting price point for new full sus.

For hardtail you could be looking at around 1.5k for a decent one.

There are a lot of brand, all are good. its hard to get a bad bike at this price point.

Just avoid halfords what ever you do...

Some good deals in the second hand market too.... Have a look on MTB buy and sell on Facebook.

Cheers, not a fan of the Facebook MTB pages as it just feels like where all the stolen bikes go for sale. Obviously not true but I never feel confident that I am not picking up stolen grear.

Anyway, as life goes, given with one hand, taken away with the other. Dog just got very sick and has to go to an othamologist which is putting too big a dent in the funds.

This time next year Rodney....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sorry to hear that, keep an eye on Donedeal. I would get something like a vitus mythique, ideally a couple of years old second hand, should be able to get one for about 1200e

• Advertisement

Well the dog is still unwell but has avoided surgery, at the same time a Cube Stereo 150 came up, 2021, and I got it for half price having only been ridden about 30 times. May as well have come off the shop floor. Problem solved.

Right, so loving the bike, only issue I am aware of is coming from a slow moving rigid, I've never felt the need for a full face helmet or much of the safety gear.

Do I need one? What else do I need, so far all I have is knee pads and shorts in regards MTB specific gear. Bree hill looks like the fastest I am goign to be going in regards heading downhill, any other gear bar the full face needed?

Also, never realised, fair play to those getting up hills on full sus bikes, I can do almost any hill on a rigid or a CX bike but the full sus just seems to stop dead on the steep bumps so that needs practice. Not that it needs more power, must be my technique, just seem to struggle to keep the wheel down while still forward enough to not fall back.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Gloves, fullface enduro lid (TLD Stage, e.g.), hydro backpack or hippack, elbowpads, 5-10 sticky-soled shoes, go tubeless and run lower PSIs for more grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭prunudo

Full face is a no brainer imo, your teeth and face will thank you and a helmet is a lot cheaper than multiple trips to the dentist. Even in trail centre's there is so many rocks, stumps and other solid objects on the side of the trail. Everyone perceives risk differently, but that would be my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ram82

Get a ff helmet, pads on knees and elbows, defo gloves. I got an O'neal protection top/jacket recently with chest, spine, elbow and shoulder pads. It's surprisingly comfortable and you don't feel wearing it after 5min of ride. It not only protects in case of a fall but it also unblocked something in my head and allowed me to push a bit harder, go faster, try stuff that I would be afraid of if I didn't have it

• Advertisement

Excellent, have most of that already. FF is on the way. Can't afford body armour at the minute but will put it on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Unrelated but it's nice to see full face helmets being recommended. I wore one 10 years ago and they weren't common outside of big downhill stuff, some MTB forums didn't have the kindest opinions for people wearing them on basic trails but it's very easy to get hurt in mountain biking.

Looks like there's a lot of choice these days, lightweight and lots of vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Very nice. I remember taking a test on a carbon cube stereo 160 years ago at a demo day in Carrick. was a 27.5 and by far the nicest bike I tested.

anyway yep full face lid for sure. I got a fox pro frame and very happy with it. not noticeable once its on, very light and well ventilated.

You will get the odd look as people might wonder if you intend on sending 60 foot gaps but its becoming more normal.

My son in law whose been off the bike for a few years said the same thing, who cares what it looks like, better than how you'll look with no teeth and wrapped up, drinking through a straw for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Might start wearing a full face MTB helmet on the commute to work/shops, so dangerous, better to be protected..

If it makes you feel good, fire away. I imagine that the injury risks and relative rates of injury here are different but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Considering a judge took 20% off a woman's injury claim for not wearing a helmet, it's not as much of a joke as you'd think. (She got a concussion, which helmets don't prevent against)

Full face for commuting is definetly overkill, half shell is 100% fine unless you have a medical condition...

For scooting around the Coillte trails in Ticknock etc. FF is something i'd never consider.. half shell MTB helmet is perfect...

Of course a full face is overkill for commuting, I don't think anyone would ever actually consider that. I was making a joke on top of your joke since apparently now if you're hit by a truck you'll need to be wrapped in bubble wrap just to get a full claim...

Neither would I, have used my road hat around there most of the time, I am planning on going faster on more technical downhills though. Most Coillte trails, Ballinatoe you can get around on a CX bike without issue, I happily got around there on a BMX on one occasion.

• Advertisement

Most Coillte trails are basically "narrow fireroad" trails, CX bike is useable, if you've seen any of Enduro Racer Greg Callaghan's video's of him on both Coillte and natural trails on his gravel bike...

Getting back to the subject in question, a modern hardtail with a 130mm fork is fine for the majority of Irish trails, even places like "The Gap" unless you plan on trying to keep up with Greg Callaghan or fancy yourself as the next Ronan Dunne maybe then go for a 150/170mm enduro bike and full face/body armour, everywhere else is the equivalent of installing a cage and harness in your car to drive to the shops...

:facepalm:

So I shouldn't wear a seatbelt because I'm a good driver is what you are saying ?

All joking aside, a road helmet was fine for the stuff I was doing which was neither fast nor difficult, it won't be for what I plan to be doing which will probably lead to my first broken bone in 40years. Which will be this sort of stuff: https://m.facebook.com/OnYourRothar/videos/idms-down-hill-race-at-breeroad-gapdh-mtb-idms-irish-downhill-mountainbike-serie/1204357299742106/&ved=2ahUKEwiu7qyk_Pn8AhWQWcAKHS-rAnYQwqsBegQIDhAF&usg=AOvVaw351Zowbwqsi5-4Nyfl2P-E

Good stuff, wish I was brave enough to try gaps even half that size. Jumping in general is something I'm pretty **** at.

That's in Carrick, isn't it? That's a lot more intimidating when you're there in person than it looks on that video. And the run-in is tricky. Landing is the good thing about it though.

If you plan to throw yourself down the side of a hill for a DH race, then like doing a trackday at Mondello you have to wear a full face helmet...

But for the vast majority of users on the Coillte trails and natural ones too, a good half shell helmet is perfect, a full face is overkill...

You don't want to wear a full face, we get it. But many people do wear them and that its their perogative. You shouldn't be trying to put people off wearing safety gear by belittling the risk. Personally wouldn't be without the full face whether its a lap of Ballinastoe or doing trails in Djouce, but as I say each to their own.

Where exactly did I expressly say "Don't wear safety gear".... like you I merely expressed my opinion that for the majority of users on Coillte trails a full face helmet is overkill... I never once said "don't wear safety gear, so you just made that up...

Like I stated above, a good half shell MTB helmet is perfectly fine, not to mention the fact that you can hear better in case of other trail users coming up behind you etc...

You're implying a full face is overkill and people don't need them. The Coillte trails in Ballinastoe are no longer 'narrow fireroads', they are full of features, rocks and stumps. Yes you can wear a half shell, but wearing a full face isn't a bad idea all things considered.

Anyway, thats my opinion, you have yours, main thing is to enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement

But we were talking about me specifically, if I wasn't going to do interesting things I'm not used to, I could have just stuck with my CX bike or my rigid bike.

Advertisement