Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 5/1/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A few generations ago more than a million uneducated, penniless, non english speaking disease ridden immigrants left Ireland and went to the United states seeking refuge from famine and economic warfare against the Irish by the English

America was built by those immigrants and refugees,

Modern Ireland was built by Polish and eastern European and Turkish migrants during the celtic tiger era

Ireland has overwhelmingly benefitted from migration on both sides of the balance sheet, and the world has hugely benefitted from Irish migrants both voluntary, and refugee migrants.

I absolutely hate your small minded anti humanity rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The Celtic tiger era that bankrupted the country😂

What a great idea that turned out to be ffs

We cannot abandon humans seeking refuge.

We need to reduce the causes of unwilling migration. Unwilling, is where people were forced to leave their homes against their will by circumstances against their control.

The things we control here, are the western supported arms dealerships that send weapons to war torn regions to be used against civillians

and economic policies that allow unfair exploitation of assets that displace local peoples

And climate change policies that will result in millions of climate refugees (people displaced due to excessive heat, floods, drought, famine, resource conflicts exacerbated by climate change)

So what are our options going forward in a world where up to 20% of the global population could become displaced through conflict and environmental changes?

The celtic tiger era didn't bankrupt the country. It was the lack of response to the danger signs of an overheating property market that bankrupted the country

Celtic tiger was between about 1995 to 2008. If we had taken measures to cool the economy in 2006 we would have been fine

Some of those measures would have been to simply not allow the banks to exceed traditional lending limits and to prevent sub prime lending by the likes of Anglo Irish Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If we're not going to put pressure on our 'friends' to not commit atrocities, we should be prepared to take in the victims of those crimes and help them to recover.

If we are to have any notion that we as a nation uphold values of justice or compassion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Refugee from what?? If the place they resort to refugee becomes exactly like the place they left. Hows that work exactly? This not going to be nice but I'll say it. If ya cant grow a weed outside your back door dont have 11 plus kids. I can grow lettuce in my flower box outside my window according to my green leader. But I can only afford 2 kids to provide shelter and food in my western lifestyle. Maybe there's a moral to the story there huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Refugees arrving here in their droves and many young irish, leaving in their droves, seeking refuge in other countries! Ironically being squeezed on accomodation more and more, due to said refugees... paying mental tax rates over a pittance and qualifying for nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Irish aren't leaving in droves or in any other measurement though. What's this droves talk we ain't cattle!!!. Let me just put due to said refugees... ya cuz now I look like I can read good and do other stuff good too...!

The poster you are responding to seemed to acknowledge that they were bad and didn't deny otherwise, but also pointed out that we had access to medical services at the very least.

No alternative unfortunately though only a hard-left that will prove equally (and possibly more corrupt) over time

In this parallel universe you'll have left ireland out of protest for having Eamon Ryan as Leader, so..... something something

Said all the racists who opposed Irish immigration to america during the famine

Nobody yearns for the bad old days of the irish doldrums of the 80s

What we do is recognise that hundreds of thousands of irish people left Ireland seeking better lives as economic migrants during those years, and everywhere we went we made a mostly positive contribution.

Just like how the eastern Europeans made a positive contribution to Ireland in recent decades

Ireland seeded the world with a hundred million Irish diaspora.

We should be the least racist country on earth,

You are the one who said Ryan is taoiseach in your scenario

Christ, you don't even have the integrity to support your own hypothetical scenario

Fook me did you even read what I posted. You want everyone living western lifestyle. The price being ffs. Ya numptie. What irish. The irish that left to live shite lives in the us in the 1800s?

I'm pretty sure I could find loads of examples of 'Americans' living in Boston or New York or Newfoundland who said those exact sentiments about the Irish coming in escaping from the famine

'They can't feed themselves because they have too many kids'

'If ya cant grow a weed outside your back door dont have 11 plus kids.'

Like, there were definitely american residents saying the irish shouldn't be allowed into america just because they were rubbish at growing potatoes....

Grand so. Your the same guy talking about conservation in the green forum yet your the guy on here talking about people living by the exact opposite. Wtf are you smoking? Rubbish potatoes huh?.

There has to be realism in this world.

Ya want rainbows and unicorns.

Ya do realise most people are on your side. We just don't want to wreck the little people have through total madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

It's about time we dropped the lolly pops and rainbows view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

almost half of 18-34 year olds are going to vanish from Ireland... noice for all the fugees to fill the gap and breed us out of existence. I've a tunnel to sell ye...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Michael Martin had zero issue stating that there would be no limit to the amount of refugees we would take - all for a quick soundbite and a pat on the head from his superiors

And they come and he has no where to put them

What a f**king fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,814 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It will probably get to the stage where there are zero fitness, sports facilities left in the country to be used by Irish citizens.

Feck all hotels and what is available will be a couple of hundred a night.

in addition, parts of West Africa are in a jocker with wars, famine, terrorism… example….Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger, which are most affected by the crisis. Each of these countries experienced significant instability and violence during the last 2 years…Spillover effects of the crisis on neighbouring West African states such as Ivory Coast and Benin…

the world or certain parts are in an absolute jocker. This isn’t getting better anytime soon… the opposite… it’s going to get multiples worse. Africa as I’ve said is a continent awash with war, violence, corruption. Over the various African states there are 35 fully blown armed conflicts being played out currently… mass poverty, unimaginable poverty, mass corruption and violence….

Immigration, asylum is now the aspirational dream of the masses….we’ve tried to help this continent and these countries for decades… sent trillions of dollars,pounds,euros etc, sent experts, food, hell sent anything and everything….

you / we can only do so much. Letting these regions, countries, regimes die / fail ? Better then importing problems here.

we’ve done an astronomical amount but…sometimes you need to realise that throwing good money after bad, to try and fix something you didn’t fûcking break…. Makes zero sense.

The EU I’m reading has pledged 150 billion euros ($170 billion) for investment in Africa..

But the continent’s leaders were hoping for more, including vaccine patent waivers and the redirecting of billions of dollars of potential International Monetary Fund reserves from richer nations to more vulnerable ones to aid their recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.

150 billion euros and the reply… “ is that it ??? “ 🤪

zero refugee policy ? Nope but a more limiting and closed door one with fast track removals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

And those Irish immigrants (of which I am one) were given free accommodations by America and given money to live and given free medical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No of course not, we should help who we can.

We should reduce the time for decisions, enforce deportation orders and actually try control our borders.

Anyone without a passport on arrival should be placed in a basic facility until identified and forcebly deported.

Anyone who commits a crime while awaiting a decision, deport them.

Anyone who commits a serious crime while not a citizen deport them.

Look at tiered benefits based on time in employment and previous wages (taxes paid), similar to the continent. Those arriving who haven't worked in s yet get very little.

Stop providing accommodation for all (I thought they were actually doing this).

Don't take lectures from economic migrants who should have been booted years ago (MASI)

Most of all noone should be waiting 6 months for a decision. Throw the money at staff not at accommodation. Turn this around quicker, and help genuine cases.

We have the tools, our politicians just don't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Oh I no 100% Sinn Fein wouldn’t change a thing either. But the current mess is without a shadow of a doubt down primarily to the greed & policy’s of Fianna Fail & Fianna Gael.

There making their wealthy supporters/ friends richer at the expense of everything else.

Their is a solution out their for all this mess though.

And some country has to take a chance on it & develop policies holistically.

Using the holistical decision making/frame work developed by the Savoury Institutions around the world.

There is no other option.

There’s always an alternative.

People need to learn about holistical management. The first party that can develop policies that address our social/ economic & environment needs will stay in power for a long long time.

If anybody is reading this I suggest you look up the Savoury Institute on YouTube or whatever social media & watch some of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,572 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ireland's hard line on the Single Market has led to a radicalisation of the Tories

Too funny. 😂

• Advertisement

100% this

money isn’t the problem.

the problem in these country’s is their lands are destroyed by the current mess of agriculture policies & management.

Their land is turning to desertification at an alarming rate. When agricultural management goes bad, it goes very bad. There’s ruins all over the world & civilisations collapsed because of their agriculture.

Advertisement