Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forspoken (PC/PS5)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I ended up actually really positive on the demo

Brief tip, there are 3 levels of charge to your R2 attack. You can hold it down for super attacks, or you can hold it down after doing a parkour, spell cooldown or a r2 spam combo to instantly charge it. That's where a lot of your damage comes from. You can do a bit single target blast of damage from your palms, a dragoon jump with an aoe, or a massive line AOE. The rock spells also get powered up. You could probably start to route out some pretty powerful combos off of it, eg doing a 'Charge' spell into an instant charged arc slam to clear a path and so on

The game is still kinda clunky, feels like an even floatier Control. But I think in the full game with more interactive enemies with different ways of pressuring you the combat will have a neat flow.

Here's a video where I figured some of this stuff out. Hopefully the main game will have swarms of something more than these sleepy gators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KeYqEVfAZc

I'm day 1 for the main game, reviews be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Things not looking good for this. Review embargo is 1 day before release and plenty of reviewers haven't received review copies yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're getting ready to send out copies to every 'content creator' under the sun that asks for a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't realise it was after release. Not good. Usually they give them out to influencers as they are totally not impartial and usually lick up to the devs and publishers to get more free tat. You often get influencers get code they can show off before the review embargo if it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, I've been ignoring everything about this. I played the demo, I got some enjoyment out of it and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin. If it's not good, it's about €45 back towards Hogwarts Legacy a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭brady12

With everything coming out around this re significant graphical down grading from what they shown us and reviewers not getting copies until monday or not all ( and no pc codes ) you can nearly put house on it behind a mess at launch and / or s***e

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why is there so much negativity around this game? Seemed to start before the demo. Think was after that trailer where she was just talking, leading to a load of memes.

And while I didn't enjoy the demo, mainly because I didn't really get the systems, but I'll probably check it out at some point.

• Advertisement

I think the dialogue is one of the main reasons people are hating on it. Square Enix not sending review copies also didn't help. Also the demo didn't help at all by just throwing you into the game with all abilities unlocked. I'm thinking it's probably going to score between 70 and 80

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well I have it preloaded so I'll report back if its good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Also judging by the system requirements for PC it's going to be an awful port with very little optimization.

My guess is it'll be very cheap in 3 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah I might not be day 1 anymore, maybe day 2 until some other people run through it on PC

Or I buy a 4090 to play a 7/10 game. Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A lot of the criticism so far towards the game have centered on cringy dialogue in the trailers and during gameplay. It's hard to know just how bad it'll be throughout the game, but it definitely does seem pretty bad in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched some leaked footage. I had no intentions of getting this but thought it might be something for down the road. The constant cursing is so jarring, awful AWFUL writing, i mean seriously what is going on with game writing the last year? So many big releases have cringey dialogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More importantly, we had games like Norco, Citizen Sleeper and Immortality in the past year, offering some of the very best writing we've ever seen in video games :)

I put it down to people of one generation trying to copy the speech of 'influencers' from the next generation, who are in turn trying to appeal to the young teens from the next next generation. And so you end up with dialogue and speech that no one actually genuinely uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"gnarly" is back? Dude! Bogus!

Yeah it seems the common complaint these days is too much talking. Like Aloy in Horizon. though makes more sense when they have someone to talk to. Aloy just thinks out loud a lot it seems. Then the other common complaint about giving away the solutions to puzzles right away. Wonder how many of these ones complaining also complain about Link being silent.

I just finished Guardians of the galaxy and while they talk constantly, I never once thought "I wish they'd shut up".

Yeah I quite enjoyed most of the dialogue in GOTG even though it was constant, but it all felt fairly contextual based on the map and your decisions, and the mix of characters helped keep it interesting enough. Though the words they came up with to replace swear words were used far too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Makes you appreciate the Gordon Freeman's of the gaming world :)

Like JU mentioned with the Indies, we see incredible writing in games so I wonder do these AAA's actually have better writing and then a suit who wants to appeal to the Fortnite tweens tells them to make it more rad. If so, your morale would be in the toilet writing something like this.

Basically the execs see marvel and the likes of horizon, which badly try to ape the marvel/Joss whedon writing style, at the top of the charts and then mandate that this kind of writing must be in the game because it sells. It's why everything from Sony and ubisoft is the same cookie cutter open world game, it sells. These games companies aren't making art, they are making a product and if you buy it you are part of the problem.

Review embargo is up. Reception thus far seems to be mostly bad, with some maybe okay if you get into the combat system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Both the Polygon and Eurogamer note the game actually gets good at the very end... and then, naturally, it ends 😂

It is refreshing at least to see a ~15 hour single-player AAA game. Shame it doesn't sound like a very good one!

I'm guessing this is why Square Enix didn't provide more review codes, they already knew it wasn't going to down well . Kind of disappointed, another game I was looking forward that was completely dead on arrival (Saint's Row, Gotham Knights)

Still picking it up. I liked the demo, I liked the idea and had a bit of fun with it. And that's what I'm after in gaming, fun. Immortals Fenyx Rising took the Ubisoft open world formula and made it fun, for the most part. I game to get away from real life, so it mimicking real life (in difficulty or narrative) puts me off. If the game manages to transport me to their world, they've won most the battle with me already.

The only issue I see is with the power progression, and by the time you have everything at your disposal, the game ends. But I'm a one and done anyway and it's only to tie me over until PSVR2 and Hogwarts Legacy. I'm not expecting a GOTY contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thought the demo was fairly bad and sounds like it's more of the same, pass from me, glad I didn't preorder it or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ACG was very critical in his review and he's usually spot on I find.

I think this game is going to end up a low key hit. It doesn't sound like a terrible so I can see people picking it up and going to bat for it as a good game and to ignore the reviews.

I really don't see this making the sales that Square Enix need. Game seems like a technical mess as well from the DF video.

• Advertisement

I've maybe 10 hours put into this. It's nothing fantastic, but im enjoying it so far. The world looks amazing, when not covered in fog, which is when you're in the fog... but, it looks good imo.

I'm playing on performance, which is the only 60fps mode. I tried the other 2, which are basically the same, but the drop to 30fps was immediately nauseating. But in performance its buttery smooth most the time. Its a fast enough game that rewards quick and acrobatic play, so it needs that 60.

Combat is fun. Takes a getting used to, but slowly getting there. Only having got the Edge last night, I have mapped the dash O and jump X to the back buttons so kinda relearning that and getting used to using 8 fingers for the first time on a controller. Fun! Using the paddles which feel better for this, the nubs were too high for the constant use. Combat is fluid, still learning and unlocking. Still only 1 power. But fun and different.

Traversal is grand, but im looking forward to unlocking more to make it a bit quicker. World is littered with traversal options yet to be unlocked, and it looks massive! Thought I uncovered a good bit. Realised the zoomed out map button. Nope! Huge. So get me that hoverboard thingy quick!

Loads of stuff to collect, lots of lore. I'm reading as much as I did for Mass Effect. Each little bit adds some more world building or lore, stories. Take it or leave it, most icons are clearly marked so you can avoid the ones you're not interested in. If you fancy a virgin attempt at it, you can turn them all off and just wing it. Encounter things as you see them. Option is there.

Characters are alright, budget Paul Bettany being the standout so far, but most giving a good crack at it. Most. Free is alright. Angstry angry teen with a sad backstory, nothing new. Yeah, she curses, sometimes unnecessarily but she is from New York. And I curse just as much, and would probably curse more in her situation. I would just curse at different times..I also imagine they're developing her, so I'll wait and see.

So far, I'm enjoying it. Its a popcorn game, turn off the brain and try and get immersed and just enjoy it. It may give me open world fatigue, but im in for now at least. Enough to keep me going forward. It has until Feb 10th anyway.

Advertisement