Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Very much this. I sometimes watch an Irish broadcast and ask myself it the commentator actually likes the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Will Richie Arnold be cited for the tackle on Joey? When is the dealine? Shocking it was missed by the TMO.

https://twitter.com/AntMo1977/status/1617199554704596994?s=20&t=cORj8vGDuXL3hDVsCLYwgQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Having groups of 4 playing home and away for 6 rounds followed by a 2-leg Rof16 would add 2 more rounds so completely unsuitable.

If having 6 rounds in the pools it would have to go straight to the quarters, so with 6 pools that would be top teams only plus 2 runners-up, so most teams would be out with a few rounds to go and loads of dead rubbers so 6 pools of 4 with 6 rounds is a non-runner.

If shrinking the teams back to 20 would then have to figure out how to keep the 3 leagues happy with that. Maybe achievable by having 7 URC, 7 Top14 and 6 Prem teams if the leagues would agree to it.

Then would have all the old problems again of teams not bothering for 6 rounds as they have no expectations of qualifying, or half-way through realising they can’t qualify and putting out B teams for the final rounds, and close-fought groups get less chance of qualifying, any pools with teams not bothering will benefit and get best runner-up not on merit, no round of 16 possible to fit in as the pools would take up too much time, ranking determined more by getting an easier pool draw than the teams’ relative performances, and due to there being 3 leagues and 5 pools trying to fit them in inevitably leads to lop-sided pools, and then pools of 4 require that teams from the same league will end up playing each other twice on top of playing in their own league, and then the chances of meeting again in the playoffs are higher (could have a pool where a team tops it and ranks 3rd, with second place ranking 6th, (or 2nd & 7th, or 1st and 8th) and then meeting directly in the quarters again) and topping your pool is no guarantee of getting a home match in the quarters. Also have to squeeze 6 rounds into the earlier part of the season, instead of two blocks of 2 weeks would need either 2 blocks of 3 weeks or 3 blocks of 2 weeks, and then a long wait to the quarters, whereas a round of 16 or 2 rounds of the round of 16 can be pushed back to April which fits the schedule a bit better.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I guess because highlights of all games are on Youtube and streaming has dramatically changed habits of viewers. I never watch ITV premiership rugby highlights programme due to seeing them on the internet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I forgot the top 8 went into the playoffs in the URC. So it's 13 points off the playoffs in both tournaments.

Up to the end of the Pro12 era, the Ire/Sco/Wal/Ita tournament was a bit of a laughing stock, even among fans of the teams, albeit with 4 winners in 4 years it was competitice at the top before Leinster started walking the league every yera. There's been a significant change with the arrival of the SA teams, an injection of quality, a clash of styles and a shake up of the table that makes it a properly competitive competition in my view.

It's arguably more competitive than the Champions' Cup, at least the pool stages.

The Top14 will always be competitive up to a point, with a core of top teams making the playoffs, teams which come from mid-table to challenge for a couple of years then die off, one or two yo-yo sides and the perennial mid-table, 'Aston Villa' sides who are invariably safe from relegation but not in the hunt for promotion. I'm not sure what motivates fans of Pau, for example.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the English premiership but, financial woes aside, they seem to have a reasonably competitive league with the title changing hands a lot lately. It looks like only 5 teams have ever won it in the history of the competition though and there are a lot of clubs there who seem to be forever in limbo between the relegation spots and the play-offs. Have Gloucester ever had a meaningful end of season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, exactly this. Anyone who really wants to see highlights of a match can do so.

And while RTE haven't always been great for the league, TG4 have been absolutely amazing year after year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It wasn't necessarily missed, it may have just been deemed legal.

Either way, its definitely not a red card - to me its a borderline penalty for failure to wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You're digifriendly.

Bizarrely, lots of people still watch live tv

(I don't either btw)

Having a weekly URC highlights show with some enthusiastic and positive presenters that tell a narrative about the season each week would certainly attract some interest, either live, or on catchup or on Youtube.

Munster have an Access Munster service that they've started this year. Its been getting great feedback because it is full of characters and great stories

Rugby is actually really interesting when its presented in an engaging way. The likes of Austin Healy on commentary is such a put off. Whinging non stop about the game does not make the neutrals want to watch more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah, people who go looking can find them. But you don't grow the game by relying on people who already are big enough fans to do that. You grow the game by putting it in the spotlight and showing casual viewers what it has to offer week on week.

The GAA are doing it right. They have the Live games, the streaming and the highlights broadcast packages sorted from now to 2027

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Head first into his head. Seen reds given for similar plenty of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

To me, I think the Euro competition as it stands is somewhat doomed. Not by format, but by attitude of the non URC teams.

The French have been entirely consistent over the past 10 years, some teams take it, others leave it. They're all happy to cash in and fill their boots to varying degrees.

The English have flipped and flopped, when they were doing well, they made a power play to tear up the old competition and start again. (Safe to say the commercial projections haven't worked out as they said). And now they are not doing well, its all about how the tournament is broken, the salary cap impedes them, the URC teams get to rotate, why should we care etc etc. Which again is a back handed power play for money, the stance will be to keep them in, it needs to be commercially attractive because the emotional connection is weak.

And then at the back of the queue, you have the URC teams who are so keen to have pan "Europe" competition, that they have to accept a lot of the terms thrown at them.

I am just glad the SA teams have made the URC a much better competition so if the European Cup gets sidelined, the provinces are in a league big/good enough to justify their existence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I am just glad the SA teams have made the URC a much better competition so if the European Cup gets sidelined, the provinces are in a league big/good enough to justify their existence.

Yeah, I fear it might come to that at some point. Not sure what the future holds for the English game if they're stuck with 10-11 clubs, no promotion/relegation, no Europe... they might end up begging the Welsh to quit the URC for the Premiership.

Its not a great angle, but I don't think his head comes anywhere near Carbery - its into his chest. There is just a whiplash effect.

I still reckon the Premiership and URC will some day merge. And tbh, if I'm the IRFU, I'd be moving asap to make that happen before the English eye up a private deal to poach the SA teams. We know how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think this is far less likely since the SA involvement in the URC.

Nor do I think SA moving to the English league is remotely on the cards.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed.

much more likely the welsh would eventually move to the premiership, and then we could have a mainly irish / bokke league with 2 italians and scots.

turn it into a proper 12 team round robin home and away league, 22 regular rounds with SFs and Final

Everyone is forgetting the bottom line.

The Welsh are no use to the English.

The SA TV audience, on the other hand...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We may have seen the end of the current format. URC CEO Martin Anayi says it's not working.

“It’s generally accepted that the format is too complicated,” Anayi told the official BKT URC website.

“There is a desire from a lot of fans and media to go back to an easily understandable group stage, moving away from the two conference structure. People want simplicity with a group format that makes sense and is a lot clearer.

“At the heart of it, we have still got a very compelling competition, with some great rugby, we just need to focus on the format a bit more.”

HEINEKEN CHAMPIONS CUP – Round of 16

(Pool stage rankings in brackets / All kick-offs local times)

Friday 31 March

Match 5: Leicester Tigers (B4) v Edinburgh Rugby (A5), Mattioli Woods Welford Road (20.00)

BT Sport / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport

Saturday 1 April

Match 3: Cell C Sharks (A3) v Munster Rugby (B6), Hollywoodbets Kings Park (13.30)

SuperSport / BT Sport / beIN SPORTS

Match 6: DHL Stormers (B3) v Harlequins (A6), DHL Stadium (16.00)

SuperSport / BT Sport / beIN SPORTS

Match 1: Leinster Rugby (A1) v Ulster Rugby (B8), Aviva Stadium (17.30)

RTE / BT Sport / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport

Match 8: Stade Rochelais (B1) v Gloucester Rugby (A8), Stade Marcel Deflandre (18.30)

beIN SPORTS / France TV / BT Sport / SuperSport

Sunday 2 April

Match 2: Exeter Chiefs (A2) v Montpellier Hérault Rugby (B7), Sandy Park (12.30)

ITV / BT Sport / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport

Match 4: Saracens (A4) v Ospreys (B5), StoneX Stadium (15.00)

BT Sport / S4C / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport

Match 7: Stade Toulousain (B2) v Vodacom Bulls (A7), Le Stadium (16.00)

France TV / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport / BT Sport

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

FTA picks are Leinster v Ulster (RTE - first time Ulster have got a FTA game in ROI in a while), Exeter v Montpellier (ITV1) and Saracens v Ospreys (S4C).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

11 home + 11 away games means 7 European games every year for the South Africans but 4 in South Africa every year for the European teams. It's certainly do-able

2 rounds extra is one more than what we had with the old 6-pool system and last years format. It would be a challenge for some clubs depth but more exciting in the pool stages and less dead rubbers I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He says the english clubs are against adding more fixtures.

I cant see that being the case when they have lost up to 3 home game as it currently stands…

He didn't, that's Murray Kinsella bit. I've found the original article on the URC site (which is actually mainly about the URC with a small bit about the HCC as the end) and Kinsella left out the beginning of the quote. Here's the full quote on the HCC.

On his own involvement moving forward, he adds: “I am taking a much more active role to try and get the European competitions back to where they once were.

“It’s generally accepted that the format is too complicated. There is a desire from a lot of fans and media to go back to an easily understandable group stage, moving away from the two conference structure. People want simplicity with a group format that makes sense and is a lot clearer.

“At the heart of it, we have still got a very compelling competition, with some great rugby, we just need to focus on the format a bit more.”

Whoever said it the point is still valid, the GP doesn't seem to be doing any talking about getting clubs back for next season so they should have no problem playing 3 European fixtures.

The coffers of any of the English sides would welcome Irish opposition with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Telegraph reports that the format of Champions Cup is expected to be overhauled. The new format has yet to be decided but there could be a return to the old system.

"It is understood that among the options being considered is a return to format that featured in the competition up until 2014 – when EPCR took charge from the now-defunct European Rugby Cup – which would see a return to a qualifying stage of six pools of four clubs, which would add an extra weekend to the competition."

You would hope that the URC and the EPC put their heads together on fixtures.

With most pools having a SA team you cant expect them to fly north 3 times for Europe and a few more times for URC fixtures, and expecting URC teams to fly south for one european game and separately for league games is a bit much.

There is a logistical nightmare to be worked through.

I wonder could something like a festival weekend work twice in the group stages Where all teams go somewhere like Paris / london or barcelona with its many stadiums and play a group game at a neutral venue. Friday / sat / sun games for all teams in two venues.

Could be a big novelty for travelling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'll believe it when I see it.

'Which would add an extra week to the competition'. You'd swear it wasn't a 9 week tournament only last season.

If the clubs want 3 home games back and the IRFU want to return to the old format, it sounds like we'll be going back to groups of 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd say all the URC Clubs would want the guarantee of 3 EPC home games. Definitely the Irish clubs want them as they're money spinners for us.

Advertisement