Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A totally illogical fear you had as a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭eggy81

Marshmallow man from ghostbusters. Used to have a fever dream that I was in an enclosed space with an ever expanding marshmallow man who expanded until everyone suffocated. Weird weird dream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Being abducted by aliens, particularly when driving at night. Maybe I was a bit young to be watching the x-files.

🙈🙉🙊

• So most people’s fears involved clowns &/or the dark…

…where the above was my very worst nightmare. They were very popular in the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Being involved in a shipwreck.

Any time we went on a boat I always kept my T-shirt tucked into my waistband because I KNEW that anyone involved in a shipwreck had a T-shirt with frayed zig zag type thing going on, so I figured that if I kept my T-shirt tucked in, it couldn’t get frayed/ripped and the boat would sail safely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had none . but my brother would run out of the room and hide when The Incredible Hulk came on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Worzel Gommidge! How was he seen as a suitable character for a children’s cartoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“It commenced when I started playing with my aunt’s ornaments.”

Excellent OP. Credit where it’s due.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

I used to be terrified that the school bus would overturn when the wheel mounted a high pavement turning a certain corner.

It worried me sick every morning and the driver never, ever managed to get round without doing it.

I should have walked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Nuns , terrified of them , particularly when I found out they turn into bat's when they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,240 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My mother used say if I didn't behave a man would come and take me away.

Which lead to me having a fear of men coming to take me away. I'd have nightmare about a man driving me away in a van. Once he landed in a helicopter an my mother just handed me over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No Dougal, they do when they get very old not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Fear of creepie crawlies isn't irrational. It's ingrained because they can be poisonous, like being afraid of the dark because you can't see threats. Also in the dark the brain tries to make out faces from shadows, whether animal or human i.e. threats. One can't help being afraid, it's a survival instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

For anybody that remembers it, the painting known as "the crying boy"

For some unknown reason, as a kid we had one of those hanging on the stairs in my house. The staircase was one step up to the right and then ten steps straight up with that horrible creepy thing staring at you all the way. The last two steps went to the right again, and I can't count how many times I tripped and fell up those two steps to get past the creepy little crying fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The x-files theme music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

My mother told me that if I got into a stranger’s car I’d be chopped up and eaten. She even explained (broadly) how the different parts would be cooked. Apparently the most sought after part was my dick so I was most worried about that getting fried. Needless to say I was very suspicious of strangers in cars. Fine if they didn’t have a car though.

I was also scared of fog for no reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,240 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was about four I use kick up a massive scene if we had to get a taxi. I'd loose the plot, kick the doors, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,487 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My teacher being out sick and the class being split up for the day. Absolute terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Had a poster for Nightmare on Elm Street 3 on my wall. Before falling asleep I was terrified Freddie would jump out of the poster and hundreds of minature Freddies would run towards me.

Eventually I had had enough and did the obvious thing .. I moved my wardrobe to cover the poster. It was still there years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

It.

I still see that damn clown when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

• Luminous clocks. My parents told me they had radiation in the phosphorous paint and it could give you cancer. (In truth it gave some of the factory girls who hand painted the luminous paint cancer if they licked the brush to wet them.) My parents wouldn’t have one in the house but I thought they were cool & magical, also fearsome too. My friend down the road had one in her house, and when I told that friend how dangerous they were she got worried.

The clock in question sat on the mantelpiece, on either side an armchair, one being favoured by her father, the other her aunt. The poor mother was too busy working to ever get sitting down in the living room. The kids generally sat on the sofa facing the dangerous clock, the rays coming straight at ya. So my friend formed a strategy. Reasoning that it was just not fair for the kids to get cancer, the clock had to be turned in another direction. Turning to the right meant the father would get cancer, so that wasn’t on either. She said there was only one thing for it but to turn the clock to face the maiden aunt, having no children meant she was the most dispensable person to occupy the room. So the clock got turned in the hope that the adults wouldn’t notice the valiant attempts of the life-saving measures taken by one of the children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wasn’t afraid of anything, aside from… power cuts.

the ‘dark’ at night didn’t bother me but as…. in the nineteen hateies power cuts were regular enough. Be a few a year..maybe or 5 or 6 a year…Always seemed to happen around 8 in the evening… last well into the next morning…

Sitting there, watching your favourite TV show, a match, whatever and the sudden descent ….into darkness, blackness and quiet.

In winter the folks would fill the hot water bottles immediately from the tap to help keep us warm.

what used to get me was the absolute quiet. I always enjoyed listening to the radio, reading or playing a tape before bed, but no power = no entertainment of any regard, no TV, no light aside from the little torch which I kept in the drawer… I’d use that to read a book. Had a little metal improvised clip holder for it. 😎

I wasn’t scared to death but an eerie uncomfortableness which was no fun …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wizard of Oz flying monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

How can people be like 'i remember i was 4 at the time'.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Theres a whole background freakout about that painting.

https://moroccoenglish.com/unexplained-mysteries-the-crying-boy-painting/

Karl Pilkington explains in one episode of the ricky gervais show how the same painting were causin fires an' that.

"By the end of November (1985), belief in the painting's curse was widespread enough that The Sun was organising mass bonfires of the paintings, sent in by readers."

Of course they were, thats The Sun for you.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah he was lovely and exaclty like so many old local yokels!

The description of that in a Dickens novel is utterly terrifying

There was some olde style 'Jason and the argonauts, sparticus, greek mythology type film, with fighting skeletons.

I wasnt a big fan of those creepy bastards.

Also, theres a superman film where he gets caught inside a car compactor and comes out as a robot or some bullsht, that freaked me out.

Nah. Very few toxic in North of Englamd and it never occurred to me until your post. Irrationally terrified of these nasty thiings running amok. The thought of as being toxic never occurred to me Oh and we were given an Encyclopoadia at a youn age and there was a full page photo of Bird Eating spider with a bright prey in its filthy clutches.. cesutha ter never occurred to me. Oh and never terrified of mice and rats that can REALLY bite etc. Used to try to tame them, Even thinking of spiders... Shudders... And LOVE the dark. Never a fear. I wander up the drive here in the pitchy black. Not all the same we are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,487 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For a moment you had me wondering what Dickens novel featured Godilla. 😁

Another one here for Worzel Gummidge and The Hulk. I used to run and hide behind the couch. My folks still take the piss out of me to this day.

Do any of you remember the Look and Read: Dark Towers episodes? It was a BBC children's thing that we watched in school. Another thing that freaked me out as a kid.

I was apparently a really jumpy kid :eek:

Advertisement