Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhyped overrated Irish music

Options
  • 21-01-2023 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Over the years ... I have seen how RTE and other forms of the Irish media overhype what becomes overrated music ... we saw it with Boyzone, Westlife ... and we cannot forget Six ... we see it each year with those Eurovision singers ... Donna and Joe, Black Daisy, Chris Doran, Ryan Dolan ... even the names are getting alike now as well as their style !! ...

Then it is these singer songwriters ... all writing tuneless melodies and puzzling lyrics ... profound riddles that make no sense to anyone except the creator ... we have a Gavin James one day and a Dermot Kennedy the next ... we have an Imelda May turning into one of them and all (yes her original style was good ... but not what she does now) ... we get a Tubbers plugging them and telling us how 'lucky' we are to have such 'talent' on display ...

It just seems today if someone can write any auld 'song' then they have a sporting chance to climb to dizzying levels of fame until people realise they are not as 'good' as the hype around them ... where are the great interpreters of songs gone? ... artists versatile enough to writer their own and cover the classics ... artists who can sing multiple genres and make it work ... I am sure they are still out there but RTE and the like will not give them a chance when they are too busy promoting their new found darlings ... or worse again trying to revive hasbeens like Ronan Keating, Lee Matthews Mulhern and Eoghan Quigg ... ex talent show, boyband and/or Eurovision fodder ...

Music has gone down the swanny here in Ireland ... and that will remain as long as talent show, boyband, Eurovision or any guy who presents as a 'songwriter' is picked before genuine interpreters of proper songs and music ... listen to any modern Irish act in pop and then listen to one in 'country' or 'folk' today and they sound the same ... once you'd know one genre from another ... and they are all here today/gone tomorrow because despite the hype no one is really interested in them longterm ... and as long as the media keep hyping these overrated music entities this will not change and modern music's abysmal reputation remains ... to the detriment of proper up and coming singers/musicians ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

What on earth is an interpreter of song?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Agreed on Imelda May, vastly overrated IMO. Also Glen Hansard. One admittedly great single with The Frame's "Revelate", but aside from that nothing he has done has ever impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Well he has staying power and two very popular films to his name at least.

Every country has their local favourites that they plug.

Are you saying they aren't a patch on Joe Dolan and Dicky Rock these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Aslan.

Was at a gig of theirs once and they had so little they played Crazy World three times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the cranberries. 'linger' is fine, but 'zombie' is the most overrated, dreary POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Dermot Kennedy. Is there a word to describe that style of vocals that he does? Ed Sheeran has it amongst others where they "curl" certains words in an exaggerated way.

- "Ooh darrrlin' I louuve yaaou" type of thing. It's very irritating but the kids can't get enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

main thing in ireland is to get the right agent with connections into montrose, then you are set for life

the likes of gavin James or oddball Hansard are ample proof

That second song Imelda and Glen did on the Tubridy Show before Christmas was one of the worst things I have ever heard ... proof both are overrated and overhyped ... both prob had 1-2 good songs from years back but that's it ...

Exactly ... these 2 are so overrated and have never truly impressed me ...

I remember that Gavin James guy on that moon landing anniversary programme in 2019 at the height of RTE's obsession with him ... his performance and appearance on the programme had nothing to do with the topic .. he sang one of his own yokes ... could sing neither Fly me to the moon ... or Viva Las Vegas !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The coronas, bell x1 and all the other friends of RTE that Dee Forbes is tirelessly trying to elevate to superstardom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I hope nobody is even thinking of naming the Fontaines DC in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭newmember2

Well I'm thinking of naming Conor O'Brien of the Villagers purely on the fact I cannot stand the high-pitched 'squeaking' that he calls singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Record sales and net worth will tell us how they are rated everything else is just pure opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Aslan are absolute scutter and Christys vocals are fairly sketchy to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Xander10

You seem to have created a list of "artists" than no musical person would rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thin Lizzy. I'm not saying they're bad but I don't get the national obsession. There are about 10 different tribute bands doing the rounds, far more than for U2. I'm not a huge fan of either band but U2 have far more classic songs and yet Lizzy are still considered some sort of national icons. Outside of Ireland most people would only know "The Boy are back in Town" and maybe "Whiskey in the Jar".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you saying that the best song released in 2022 was the one which sold the most?

i assume it's to do with the fact that lizzy predate U2 by 7 or 8 years; the first irish rock or pop band to make it big internationally. metallica are noted fans, which does no harm to their profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

You are right about Thin Lizzy outside of Ireland but that is to a casual music fan. Outside of Ireland, rock fans often site Thin Lizzy as vastly underrated. A lot of rock bands point towards them as a major influence. They also had their heyday in the 1970's, well before anyone else (in Ireland).

Also, thier live album 'Live and Dangerous' is often cited as one of the best live rock albums of all time. Seriously it's a fantastic album, that should be listed to by any Irish rock fan.

I’m an alternative,indie, metal , punk , synth man my self and of course since I was a kid you would struggle to see anything remotely alternative on rte . I would guess rte see shows like other voices as alternative but let’s face it it’s almost the other extreme, contrived, pretentious pretend rock /indie.

although suicidal tendencies did film for jo maxi at 5am on the way to the airport 😂😂

I always get the impression alternative music intimidates Irish media and can provide “lols” for themselves.

personally and this is not influenced by my own taste , but I think it’s time we sent one of our own metal acts to the Eurovision and put on a mighty production.

kevin shields was a huge influence on 90s alt (grunge) and you would never know he lives here , never acknowledged by rte , yet being interviewed by every other country 😂

Dave fanning gave rob Trujillo a good knowledgeable interview before slane .

there’s an rte radio one documentary about prince and it’s brilliant check it out

the klf on the late late show was amazing Also therapy did a savage tune

luckily we have more than enough podcasts to seek out the amazing underworld that is very much alive

RAMMSTEIN FOR SLANE

but I think it’s time we sent one of our own metal acts to the Eurovision and put on a mighty production.

my brother-in-law's gaelic doom metal band entered the irish leg of eurovision once. fanning loved them, the other two judges didn't; they simply weren't eurovision material. and then lordi won that year. their drummer got a drunken text that night from fanning, apologising for them not being picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Monitor1985

People get very angry when I point out Phil Lynott wasn't even Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I came here to do exactly that. Fontaines DC are just plain shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Have to disagree there. Where's the Sun is an amazing single. So is Loving Me Lately. This Is is a classic. My favourite song of theirs is the little known The Gallery which I think was a b-side. Christy was a great songwriter.

Now The Coronas on the other hand is band I really dislike. Can't understand why they have such a following.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Coronas, The Script, Dermot Kennedy, The Frames / Hansard, Mundy, Imelda May ( such a one trick Pony ), Fontaines DC.

Blandsville dot com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Boomtown rats, kila and the mary wallopers, all dirge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Denise Chaila

Advertisement