Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Think met.ie was down temporarily or something as it came back after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

It happened to me on a version before 2022.12. one of the late November updates.

In pyscript -> modules -> weatherforecast.py on Line 23, I just changed it to "return radiation". That sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Impossible to search this thread, but does anyone know what the default password and username is for the Solis wifi dongle? I've tried admin admin and admin 123456789 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭con747

I've the Solis S3-WIFI-ST datalogger which appears to be from a different manufacturer, which wasn't accepting 123456789, I had to do a reset to get it working. Thank anyway for the link.

Post edited by Manion on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

My S3-WIFI-ST was configured by my installer and I eventually found the password for the admin user was set to my own WiFi password.

No idea if that is something that happens as part of the initial dongle setup, or just the installer set it to that value himself. But worth a try to see if yours is the same.

Mine did that itself. I don't think it should be doing that. The installer left the stick for me to setup.

It's odd, I had to do a reset and it worked fine. Separately, does anyone else find the solis app data wildly inaccurate. I've a Shelly EM on the feedin from the AC side of the inverter and it's telling me I'm providing 30watts. The battery app is saying about the same, while the solis is saying 120 watts. Bit of a problem as I was going to rely on the solis monitoring to get the true solar generator value since the Shelly cannot differentiate between Battery and Solar input.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭prosaic

solis and S3-WIFI-ST logger

Can anyone point to where someone has kept SolisCloud connected and got local access for data/configuration?

It requires some hardware mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 viewofthehill

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have been looking at the data coming from the monitoring apps (I am using Solarman Smart and Sofar View) and I was getting different readings between the data on the app around consumption and the reading on the D/N meter. I exported out the data to have a look and it seems that the logger is not recording any consumption in the cumulative consumption when there is no battery activity and no solar generation (see below from 21/11/22) It seems like power usage is being recorded but daily and cumulative totals are not being updated as well as Energy purchased statistics giving inaccurate figures at the end of the day. Is there any way around this or is the only solution to charge the battery for 5 minutes just before midnight? Any help appreciated

• Advertisement

The cumulative totals could be calculated. Just add up the minute by minute power values (divide by 60 to convert kW to kWh for each minute, assuming your time points are in minutes).

With S3-WIFI-ST you can have Solis Cloud & timed charge/discharge control via the Solis Cloud app. You need to request the control from Solis support.

For local access and Solis Cloud you would need the DLS-W logger. This will allow for local access, control, and integration with homeassistant etc. while also retaining Solis Cloud support and access. Solis have advised that remote control via app doesn't work properly with this logger.

Oh. What should you put in the support ticket? I just got access to the monitoring API, I assume it's the same process?

Same process yeah . Its remote control for timed charge/discharge settings.

Thanks! I must see how to get the old logger.

That's another question. How to get the monitor api access? How to ask?

How do solis access the new logger? Are there unpublished web server commands? Internally, the logger must talk to the inverter using same serial protocol?

Does the logger encrypt (https) packets? Might see if I could hook it up to a better router than what I have and log packets.

It seems bizarre that solis wants people to use their servers when allowing customers access directly would reduce their server load.

Just got approved there, it's class. Basically everything you can do from the control panel you can do in app or via solis.

*Also please note if you are using a DLS-W, DLS-L or RF-LINK datalogger we recommend to upgrade to S3-WIFI-ST, S2-WL-ST or S3-GPRS-ST for better functionality.  

If you get an error showing "Data error please contact webmaster" you absolutely need to upgrade your logger.  

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Just got Home Assistant up and running, have been able to integrate a few things so far such as myenergi and my Honeywell evohome.

What easy to follow guides would you recommend for setting up a nice dashboard which can integrate the stats from myenergi and the solis inverter onto one page. Ideally I'd like to show the Eddie, Zappi, house, battery and I've 3 solar strings, 1.2kW East, 1.6kW South and 4kW West as 3 different inputs. The South and East are connected to the Solis while the East is a legacy system that was installed as part of the house build 7-8 years ago. Another cool thing I'd like to do is be able to calculate the energy use by what's used during night and day tariff separately?

As an aside is there anything that can monitor gas usage?

A chance would be a fine thing. Firstly look into Grafana, InfluxDB and Home assistant together. Loads of youtube videos. The posts above are all about how to set up day/night tariff meters in HA, so are a good starting point. For the solis data, you should request the monitoring API: https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/support/solutions/articles/44002212561-api-access-soliscloud and https://github.com/hultenvp/solis-sensor

I'm wondering, In what way do folks calculate their consumption rate? Solis appears to calculate it as total power to the inverter DC over total export, so including any power from the battery.

Is the default behaviour of the solis when meeting consumption demand from the battery to put power into the battery or to ease off drain on the battery?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Consumption rate?

As in how much solar used directly(ie goes from solar to a load) or general house use?

Not sure what you mean by the second question...

• Advertisement

Yep. There are a few assumptions I made when doing my calculations before getting solar, one of them was the consumption rate (ratio?) which is the proportion of solar generated that is self used. Apparently the average in Ireland is only 60%. It was a big part of my motivation to get batteries as they directly smooth out consumption. I estimated I could get to 90% early enough. Currently I’m using 98% of what I generate, less system losses, but it’s winter.

it does seem to be impossible to prevent some degree of export even when operating off batteries, I find I’m exporting a couple hundred watts a day at the moment. I’ve gone through the data sheet for the inverter power meter and the ct clamp each have an accuracy error of 1% for a combined accuracy error of 2%. So given that I’m pulling 12 kWh typically, I suppose that’s reasonable.

Hence my question on consumption calculation. I generated 2kWh yesterday and the battery provided 10kWh. I exported 200 Wh. Should I calculate consumption rate as 90% or 98%.

my second question is basically will the battery charge from solar if there is demand is less than production?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Second question, it's easy, yes batteries will charge if there is excess solar.

200wh over the whole day isn't too bad, that also could be in the measurement error, say over 10 hrs, is only 20w an hour.

Unfortunately the solis doesn't seem to have a way to "trim" the import/export.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone have a decent Yaml for for Sofar and HA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Is there a difference between the DLS-W+A and the DLS-W-A? Maybe one of these is a typo on a website?

My work uses a dutch VPN so brought me to this when I googled....

and another one is +A (can't share link for some reason) but they look the same.

Chris

I can't find any mention of the +A -A aside from that site. It could be their own naming or perhaps the A is denoting inclusion of the aerial or not. I'm just guessing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks! My first day looking for one so didn't want to get wrong thing. They seem good value but only delivery to Netherlands!

I looked into a few places that claimed to be selling the solarman models but after a bit of digging where actually selling the newer ones. It can just be sloppy product details.

Best bet is probably to post up in the for sale/wanted thread or on the Facebook group. Quite a few people have changed to the new logger who wanted the app access. That means the old Solarman logger sitting on a shelf somewhere. I did the reverse and sold my S3 logger to someone here. The place I bought the older one is out of stock now.

• Advertisement

I believe the S2-WL-ST is the sweet spot for Solis cloud and modbus compatibility though I don't have one. Solis themselves told me S2-WL-ST will work with Solid cloud and the HA Integration also lists it as supported.

https://github.com/fboundy/ha_solis_modbus

Advertisement