Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar Being Paid Disability Benefit for Lactose Intolerance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,693 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Can't disagree with your diagnosis but we don't do gulags/penal colonies and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

One can only hope he has a short shelf life and doesn't end up costing us too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Keep feeding him cheese sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

People who break the law in circumstances such as these should not be entitled

to any social welfare or benefits. That might have a positive effect of the mentality

of those considering breaking the law.

Well he will be a guest of the state until he is released.

Not sure that leaving people on the side of the road with no money for food, shelter etc. is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭BagofWeed

I know a guy who got it last year after giving up alcohol by saying that he now has a food addiction and is just drinking minerals all day, "can't pass a shop without going in to get coke/orange Red Bull etc", and is too bloated to work. Whereas his friend who almost died and had numerous hospital stays and operations and has serious depression was refused. Both applications went in around the same time and both ended up at Social Welfare Appeals.

A lot depends on what your doctor writes on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

This window scrambling Milk Tray man is about as intolerant of dairy as I am intolerant of winning the euromillions.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If he is a Traveller, he would be more likely to have that sort of condition. It seems strange that it was remarked on in court, and the newspaper reports do not give any useful details.

"The Beutler test for babies in Travelling community

If you're a member of the Travelling community, your baby will be tested for a condition called galactosaemia soon after birth. The risk of galactosaemia is 80 times higher in the Travelling community."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭standardg60

What has that got to do with anything?

If he was able to commit burglaries he shouldn't have been on DA

This gadge's profession has been revealed as a "burglar". If he actually has a lactose intolerance condition, he'd be far better off in various legitimate modes of employment rather than the most stressful and illegal modes such as a bone fide burgling criminal. But no, can't be having that for these lads who basically think they can do what they like and laugh in our faces while they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Imagine you're a doctor, knowing that your patient may see what you wrote.

You could write retardation, obesity,lethargy, alcoholism.

Or you could write lactose intolerance.

No brained.

Imagine you're a doctor, knowing your patient is a local bone fide criminal.

You will probably write whatever the patient wants you to write.

Why not? Revenue and the CAB don't care, so why should the local doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,032 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You might as well put down dandruff, probably qualify for DA the way things are developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

culture boss, lactose intolerant and tax paying intolerant as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, the DA benefit rate could be increased if we removed all the non-disabled people from DA.

I know three people on DA.

None would match a reasonable person's definition of disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It's not the doctors, I know someone who was refused for Sever depression. It's entirely up to some random in the departments whim. Yes doctors sign off but its civil servants doing this.

The doc won't sign off on a condition the patient doesn't have.

Granting DB is an administrative decision which is sometimes a pragmatic solution to an unsolvable problem as things stand at the moment.

It's not right but the reality is that the real solutions would cost a lot more.

Unpalatable I know but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,032 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Weird that they are not doctors within the department signing it off though is what I was thinking.

decision makers on medical issues who have no medial training hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Nermal

You must have a different solution in mind to me.

Solutions are thin on the ground here.

So far we have had put them in a penal colony or leave them destitute.

I don't see either of those as runners.

You might as well give yours it can't be any worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭timmyntc

He is well entitled to the disability benefits, it's clear his disability is interfering with his work.

Think about it - how is he supposed to sneak into people's houses if he cant stop farting?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Just heard a prisoner found dead in the prison with dietary requirements..

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

The first thing that needs to happen is whoever signed off on this as a disability payment needs to be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you ll find most long term unemployed and prosecuted criminals have in fact underlying psychological issues and disorders, that have never been truly attended to, so the story fits the evidence.......

....go humans....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭Xander10

Long term? He is only 23

Lactose intolerance is very easy to manage, just avoid dairy. Not really a cause for being unable to work.

yup, many of these disorders are genetic in nature, so the person would simply be born with them, so potentially this person has had some of these issues from birth, some of which are actually diagnosable from a young age, so....

its also common that some complex disorders manifest in anxiety related issues, which can sometimes manifest in gastrointestinal problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

RTE news : Investigation after death of inmate at Limerick Prison

http://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2023/0112/1346288-prisoner-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife is Asian and like many Asians is lactose intolerant, I'll tell her she doesn't need to work as a healthcare assistant anymore for a pittance, she can get disability instead and stay at home cooking me some delicious lactose free dinners, winner winner chicken for dinner!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

happy days, she might be better off, both physically and mentally, and society might be better off to, as she, and her loved ones would probably be much happier....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I misread the tittle and thought he had an intolerance to this!

Lots of others in similar positions to this guy I'd say.

Advertisement