Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

100% and it differs day to day.. especially Ken's mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really enjoyed that 07 Vialli interview. Eoin had a very annoying accent back in the day though, weird how it's changed so much. Ken sounds the exact same though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Another one to add to the sound complaints. It's terrible at times. Low for speaking and then blows the ears off you for audiobeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was trying to listen in the car and the Indo rugby guy was just unintelligible most of the time, whack up the volume it's still muffled, then somebody else speaks and nearly deafens me. Sounded like that guy was using a 1990s Nokia he found in a drawer for a mic

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I had forgotten about Parker and Lovejoy, a real blast from the past.

Young Eoin calling Gullit an arrogant arsehole was the best bit of the Vialli interview.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Maybe he borrowed the mic from Miguel Delaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The irony being that Giles would probably agree with ken on this.

The part about the move out of Man-u, the piers Morgan interview and it not being about money was great. But ken always hated ronaldo, he finally gets to put the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah, Parker & Lovejoy and US Murph after five a side before going out for beers. That was Friday evening.

Those were the days.

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just listened to the Vialli interview. Jaysus but young Eoin used take an age to ask a question...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I don't think the seasoned journalist we know now would roll over and have his belly tickled by Jack Charlton when he started going off about fish and chips in that old interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Agreed that the audio levels were all over the place between segments last week. Ken also has the annoying trait of practically whispering the last few words of one sentence and then blaring out the first few words of the next sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've long thought that audio levels on SC were too low (compared to all the other podcasts I listen to and even SC on RTE) but they're they pits lately.

Much too low in general, and then up and down far too much between different contributors / audio beds.

I often have my phone on max, headphones on max, and still can't make parts out if there's any sort of background noise at all, the one I was listening to yesterday when out for a walk got drowned out if ONE car went past.

Sort it out lads.

Doesn't help that many of Ken's most cutting / funny remarks are half mumbled!

Eoin isn't as trebly as he used to be(!) but still cuts through noise a bit better than Ken.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

which is kens bigger devils advocate topic at the mo, Eddie Howe or Ronaldo.

He could not would not say Newcastle are well coached, like he can put in all the caveats then, immoral taking Saudi money, good buys making an impact etc. but you would have to acknowledge Howe has them going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

only catching up on thread now after making my previous post. Absolutely.

The point that Matt Targett, Nick Pope etc are not world beaters is not the strongest counter point to Kens contrarianism because the petrol dollars also helps you lure players from rivals mid-season. It’s just still undeniable IMO that NFC are better coached than they used to be, like the overnight change to Chelsea when Tuchel replaced Frank. But sure content is as content does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

agree with ken on ronaldo tbf. do think howe has done a good job though. hes tactically sound and has a lot of players playing above their ability but they are also helped by the(unlimited) money having lads like bruno + trippier there. bruno is a brilliant player easily man city/liverpool level. youd forget their mega signing isak has barely played.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't even like Ronaldo but Ken talks about him like he's been the Portuguese Robbie Keane. Bit ridiculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Yeah, he's talking pure shite for the sake of it and he knows well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Eoin pushed back but he could have pushed back stronger. In one champions league knockout season Ronaldo scored 5 goals in a tight quarter final tie with Bayern. He scored a hat trick in the semi first leg vs athleti. And 2 in the final. For almost any other player this would be a performance that would ascend them to football royalty but for Ronaldo it was just Ronaldo being Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Generally getting 8 or 9 CL goals in a season is amazing. Ronaldo had seasons getting 15,16 and 17. Its not like a Gary Lineker right place right time tap in merchant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,232 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To give Ken and Murph the benefit of the doubt, I don't think they were saying he isn't an absolutely elite level player, but just that he's maybe top 10 ever, rather than top 2 or 3. The comparison with Gerd Müller seems decent I think, another fella who smashed in astronomical goal figures, and lead his own team to 3 European Cups in a row (at a time when it was much harder to get into), scoring more than a goal a game in the EC across a 5 year period. (And scoring 10 goals in 6 games at the 1970 World Cup).

• Advertisement

It’s a dreadful comparison. Gerd muller never ever scored from outside the area. He was a brilliant penalty box finisher. Ronaldo scored routinely from distance. He scored using his pace to get in areas he had no right to be in. He scored headers and bicycles where his spring off the ground was an awesome sight to behold. He was a much superior player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭jones

I think there's an element of Ken just not liking Ronaldo. Whatever about his current incarnation he was brilliant.

I was always in the Messi camp but there was a stage a few years ago (when Portugal won the euros) where you'd be hard pressed defending that Ronaldo was not the best player in the world at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ronaldo has been causing Ken discomfort for a long long time. The fact that two weeks after the world cup he was talking more about Ronaldo then Messi says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

portugal winning is irrelevant in the debate though. its always been about player v player not players team vs players team. argentina could have lost 3-0 to france or croatia and messi would still be miles ahead as the best of his generation. he effects the game in 2/3rds of the pitch, ronaldos never done that. that is why he'll always be 1 in a million

Messi is better than Ronaldo. That’s not being debated.

the debate was the status Ken bestowed on Ronaldo as not an all time great and whether that was credible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ronaldo was a key reason Portugal won though. Ronaldo also affects the game all over the pitch. At one point his pace was so quick that the defense couldn't play a high line. This affects the whole opposition team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm amazed they never gave a mention to how Ronaldo must be sitting in Saudi Arabia watching on as he is (likely) replaced by Wout Weghorst. Imagine how angry he must be over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Not as angry as when he finds out he’s not in South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Excluding frees 7% of Ronaldo's goals have been from outside the box so 'scored routinely from distance' is exaggerating it a bit.

He was a great finisher no doubt about it.

I think he's destroyed his legacy the last couple of years.

Brazilian Ronaldo was better imo. Can't comment much on Muller wasn't around to seen him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Since 2010 Messi and Ronaldo have the most goals from outside the box… so in football only Messi in can say he routinely scored from outside the box ?

Advertisement