Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current hospital / A&E crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Northernlily

"We as a nation are the big problems with the hospitals"

Yeah sure we are. It's not like there are kids waiting 2 years + to get treatment for scoliosis. It's all our fault though. FFS, you would swear attacking the health system is a personal attack on some of it's ardent defenders.

Wait till it happens your own kids then I'm sure you will be lashing out. I'm alright jack morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Widowmaker

it isn't even efficiency. The HSE is a racket.

The two things it excels at (and why a lot of junior consultants leave at the end of their training) is corruption and bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not at this moment in time. You are wrong. That would be a patients' perspective at a normal busy time and if you don't mind me saying, would be fairly limited.

II have worked through this for the last 40 years and thankfully no longer have to. But this is much worse than any other year currently.

I know normally that what you say may be applicable.

But now the heat is on there will be extra scrutiny on who is coming in, whether they can be postponed safely with a referral for procedures at a later date or to be done on the NTPF in a private facility. There will be consultant led teams clearing bed blockers( as you refer to above) on the wards, discharging and sending to step down care anybody that can be.

You won't get people in for elective procedures or day cases. All will be cancelled Thise beds will be used as A&E overflow.

Thats how this situation works whenever there is a crisis. The problem is the double whammy of high Covid cases and Flu cases also requiring admission for oxygen and IV antibiotics and monitoring.

ICU is not overwhelmed.. yet.

Problem is not only lack of beds in acute hospitals but lack of step down hospitals (all those down graded and closed by successive governments) and lack of community nurses and community care (again poor policy decisions and no commitment by government to Sláintecare which could have alleviated this pressure on hospital led care)

The lack of nursing and medical staff due to attrition after Covid along with high costs of housing in cities, and emigration is another issue.

Not much point making more beds if there are no staff to run them.

We in nursing have been calling these issues out for many years and successive governments have tinkered around the edges but not taken the Healthcare system in hand and progressed a complete and ongoing reform . Slaintecare for all its failingswould have been a big improvement and was agreed as the way to go but is dying for lack of attention by one taoiseach after another.

You watch Leo pass the buck and Donnelly " overseeing" emergency measures that are already ongoing, vis a vis UHL. They will try to take the credit for what is already being done but as usual none of the blame, and once this crisis is over it'll be shoved behind the door until the next crisis, with nothing of any note or import done in the meantime.

Bit cynical I know, but all the positivity and hope gets knocked out of you when you have faced this year after year, all your working life.

Nobody should go near a hospital with Norovirus on them unless they are a frail child or adult eg with diabetes. The so-called “vomiting bug” is spectacular in its power to be projectile make make you feel you wish you had already expired. When I had a serious bowel condition and got it I didn’t go near a medical facility so as not to pass on this highly contagious virus. I’m careful to try and not get this virus now as I had all my colon removed and get dehydrated rapidly as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Ireland needs a hugely expanded privatized primary care service.

At least with that the middle class can actually get to see a doctor for them and their kids. You pay money and you get a service. Its not cheap but at least it works.

The current situation is a huge disaster. Even if you are paying for prviate insurance, willing to pay the high GP fees you still can't see a GP within any reasonable time frame. Its causing so much pain and worry to patients as well as stressing the hospitals to hell.

Fail. Fail.Fail.

Start again with vastly expanded private clinic chains. Get private investment in to open more clinics and hire more doctors. They dont need to be surgeons just reasonably competent and AVAILABLE to see you. TIMELY treatment is a very important health metric. Clinics can then compete to offer better services.

GP system is absolute ****, a relic from the dinosaur age that charges high fees but can't keep up with the demands on it (increased population, aging population ) nor are they willing to work weekends and evenings much either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

Something I've noticed seems to be going on seems to be a refusal to use minor injuries units (or maybe people don't know about them). One of my kids has had a bad run of sporting injuries so we've been in and out of our local one a few times. Never more than a couple of hours from sign in to departure, including triage, xray and assessment. Neighbours with similar aged teens have complained about having to wait 6/8 hours at A&E further away or pay a fortune at one of the private clinics, and it never seemed to occur to them to go to the minor injuries unit. (Added bonus, when we had a fracture in one case, we also were able to attend a more local fracture clinic and then get passed straight on to the hospital physio service... the length of the wait for second appointment is another matter mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

All our family work in healthcare, it’s the price of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Well thankfully we do have people like your family . Hopefully sometime in the future the burden and work load is eased for all frontline staff. Probably no quick fixes unfortunately,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

And when you do get through at least in my experience its to a secretary that oversteps the mark and wants to know dr/patient level info. Listen it can't be easy for GP's or the staff. It is a total disaster and must be very stressful to work under such pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Interesting tweet from an academic in Limerick. Not the first time patients were hidden.

Happened in Galway several times before.

Hospital denies ‘hiding’ patients on trolleys for Taoiseach’s visit – The Irish Times

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

I only recently learned about them. There is no mention of such things at the GP and pharmacy and the only place I learned about their existence was the A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

An old work colleague of mine managed to dislocate her knee on the way to work one morning. She stumbled into the office in serious pain. I told her not to go to the A&E in the Mater but to go to their injuries unit instead. She didn't know about it before that. She later told me that it was great, they had her seen to fairly quickly. Probably would have been 6+ hours in A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They or you should have kicked up more of fuss, you pay your PRIS and are entitled to the treatment under the public systems, a medical card has nothing to do with it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I wonder can anyone produce a list of them and what they cover and what times they are open?

Id happily go to one if I knew id be looked after.

Lovely, so much of the country is nowhere near one!

That would explain why I haven't heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

But are they closer than the nearest A&E? I think that's the key piece. They aren't designed to take the place of a GP, but to relieve pressure on A&E for more minor issues. In my case, I'd have to drive past the Injury unit, and for quite a bit more to get to the A&E. Mind you I think there should be a minor injuries unit alongside every A&E - if not more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

I stumbled across one just before Christmas. I had a bit of a fall on a ladder while clearing some leaves and had a pretty nasty bang and gash on my head after head butting the side of the house.😯

I did the typical male thing and had a cup of tea and a sit down, hoping that would work, but the next day decided to get it checked out as I had a headache and my eye was starting to swell. I googled my options expecting to find the out of hours doctor service and came across the injuries unit at Loughlinstown.

They gave me the once over, dressed my cut and I was in and out in around 90 minutes with a prescription and some advice on follow ups etc.

Brilliant service

For me absolutely further away, like 50km more.

Id agree, more of them would be brilliant and ideally 24/7. This would even allow triage nurses to send you to one if it was closer rather than sitting in A&E days with something like a broken finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Exactly, they should be everywhere. We have one in our town. Amongst the family, we've had to use it 4 or 5 times (cuts that required stitches, a broken foot, broken rib) and it was great. Never spent more than 90 minutes in there, and that was including x-rays. They're only open during the day, though, and there's limits to what they'll treat. But still, they would take a huge load of A&Es if used properly and were more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

GPs and Southdoc ( the out of hours service ) are referring cases to hospitals without even seeing at least they are down my way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Triage teams in E.D.s should be empowered to turn away cases that can be perfectly well dealt with at minor injury clinics or private centres or primary care centres.

I know thats not how the system is supposed to work, but minor breaks, sprains and bruising simply cannot be at the E.D. in this period. The very old and very young and those with serious respiratory illness must be prioritised.

Obviously complex orthopaedic injuries should still come to the E.D., but not little Johnny's broken wrist or collar bone.

If breaks are not tended to in a timely manner further damage can be done.

Internal bleeding needs to be looked for in breaks and in the case of a dislocated collar bone swelling would make putting it back very difficult/Painful.

Well on Liveline today there was reported a case of 3 spinal fractures in a woman who had been turned away from A&E in agony, barely able to move, only for the fractures to be noted to patient a few weeks later when she returned in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Maybe that will include nursing staff not objecting to getting additional help like in the case of increased responsibilities given to HCAs or the recruitment of Theatre Assistants.

Last time I had a minor injury was related to my left foot. Called to VHI in Carrickmines, seen by a Nurse Practitioner who diagnosed a soft tissue injury and advised to keep walking as normally as bearable, which I did. Right advice, was walking miles soon after!

I was way too unwell at the time to kick up any fuss, living alone. Surgeon was from Spain, not used to our social health services. I was just told blank by St Vincent’s Hospital I wasn’t entitled to a visiting nurse without a medical card. The open wound was horrific for a while, but I’ve very strong healing powers and within a few weeks brought myself to the soothing sea waters of Salthill, Galway, where I had to swim out to rescue a stranger’s dog’s ball as said canine was reluctant to swim out quite that far 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The prevailing 'compo culture' is partly to blame. Up to the 1990's or so, GP's would treat a large range of ailments and injuries but now they refer almost everything on to cover their backsides in case they may have missed something bigger. It's years since I've heard of a GP doing suturing, when once it was commonplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Totally agree, GP's referring everyone to A&E purely to cover their arses.

If the patient doesn't go to A&E then they can just say they told them to, not their fault.

GP's need to start stepping up to the mark and actually treating people.

Advertisement