Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Christmas tree lights should be multicoloured and decorations should be built up over a few years. The more mismatched the better. White lights(or any single colour) on designer trees with a "theme" bought last week in IKEA, or Aldi. Nope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This ‘win at all costs’ mentality in sport is not a good thing. For example, your man Emi Martinez is an utter disgrace and sets a dreadful example to young football fans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm afraid good Sir, that the all white light "themed" Christmas tree is soooo terribly non U and obviously recently suburban, all feature walls and never lit candles, one step away from the barnyard nouveau it deserves all the haughty derision it gets. 😂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Your payment into the system should reflect what you get out. A basic living payment, a basic pension and so on for those that never work but for those that do, they get more. I don't mean the pathetic difference in state pensions, a genuine difference on a scale.

Social housing should have a time limit. No housing for life and your kids life and their kids life.

A ten strike limit on crime. People with 90+ convictions are the same people that have never worked, never will work and take take take. They are parasites and at some stage need to be treated as such. I'm not quite ready to squash them but they shouldn't be allowed to continue to feed of decent people

It's true though. Most of these views are just standard.

The Eamon Ryan opinion is a bit more unpopular though - and I fully agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Also, tinsel looks good on a tree, especially the stringy stuff, draped across the branches. A dead or plastic tree in your living room, draped with lights is going to look tacky, regardless of whether you're deluded enough to think your white lights and IKEA tat are somehow tasteful. It's supposed to look tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ladies, don't have kids if you want the top jobs, it's that simple.

Or get a cushy public service number, or move to Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anybody who uses their phone or reads while using the toilet are a little bit disgusting

If a book is hard to read or hard to understand for an average young reader then the writer should be ignored as they have no respect for people's time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You lost all credibility when you said all Ukrainian woman are fat munters, most of them are unreal, you should go to Specsavers, or back to Russia maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

You’re just not edgy enough to hate friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Ban alcohol and promote the use of safe legislated ecstasy. Watch all crime get cut in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

Please stop saying “again”as if your some sort of authority on any of these matters.

Stop trying to sound like a university lecturer or some ****.

And yes, some people do choose to be on the lower socioeconomic scale. They have free education like the rest of us up to university level and can apply for grants and if they’re low enough will get help to go to university, though it’ll probably need to be local as they won’t be able to get accommodation anywhere else due to other cluster fcuk decisions taken by government.

Granted there are some who have little hope but we’ve made the welfare route a viable option for people who grow up in that situation and even people who grew up further up the scale.

It’s an undeniable truth.

And how does a welfare recipient pay income tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

1. Not everyone on the housing list should be entitled to a house, ive friends living in council housing estates and theyve neighbours keeping them up half the night playing loud music and threatening violence when asked to turn it down if you make a housing estate unsafe, intimidating or youre bothering neighbours and you got the house through the state, you should have the house taken off you or moved out the countryside somewhere where theres no one around you for you to annoy!
    2. Anyone who abuses kids, is unfit to be a parent or has multiple children that they cant afford should be sterilised.

I think you dont understand that the majority of people availaing of these services have degrees and other qualifications, allot of them are single nurses, teachers, childcare workers, cleaners, shop workers that work full time but earn very little, all valued members of society which would collapse without them. There are allot of people who wont work & will never work and have a generally entitled attitude theyre usually the ones who cause havoc on the council estates & give the rest of the people in low socioeconomic classes a bad name but theyre by no means the only ones reliant on social housing and supports. Theres also a large number of people in our society who have cognitive and learning difficulties that prevent them from fully integrating into society, they cant work and if they do, they will often be part time and on very low incomes.

I think the greedy entitled people who create unsafe or unfriendly environments for neighbours should be booted out and the house given to someone who will appreciate and take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My WOKE enlightened betters tell me you “ are punching down “

I’m no Tory, but I’m not really getting the hatred for Sunak here

Oh god thats awful and so cringy! He's serving homeless people in a fancy suit and with a camera on him, asking him so youve been here before and nearly starts an argument with him because 'he's worked in finance before' and the homeless man hasnt! Is it something he'd like to get into? Like the poor homeless man is a 16 year old student trying to figure out what course he wants to study when he leaves school. The absolute entitled pleb hasnt a notion on how to talk to people and you can feel the tension like he's really looking down on that man whose homeless. Not an ounce of human empathy in Sunak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Edited out

Post edited by mikemac2 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Most dogs are savage, hair-shedding little messers that wreck your furniture and require constant walks and expenditure. I've never owned a dog and only rarely encounter a nice pleasant friendly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

This will be a controversial view in here but I think diversity is great. I was sitting in a cafe the other day next to two black teenagers and I could hear them chatting to each other “as Gaeilge.”

Now I’m even older than most of the posters on this site (who are all middle aged boomers themselves). I remember a time when there were virtually no black Irish people in Ireland and you only heard Irish in the classroom.

It really lifted my spirits to hear these two young black girls nattering away to each other, in a language other than English no less. True diversity. We’ve come a long long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Not exactly controversial but.

I believe the sun should never set upon an argument.

I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands.

I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you.

I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do.

I believe that beauty magazines promote low self esteem.

I believe I'm loved when I'm completely by myself alone.

I believe in Karma what you give is what you get returned.

I believe you can't appreciate real love until you've been burned.

I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side.

I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye.

I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality.

I believe that trust is more important than monogamy.

I believe that your most attractive features are your heart and soul.

I believe that family is worth more than money or gold.

I believe the struggle for financial freedom isn't fair.

I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.

I believe forgiveness is the key to your unhappiness.

I believe that wedded bliss negates the need to be undressed.

I believe that God does not endorse TV evangelists.

I believe in love surviving death into eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I believe that's copypasta.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I've only watched that clip so I don't know if there's more but it seems like a friendly conversation to me, and while he may have made a slip of the tongue, at least he talked to the guy like a normal person, and didn't talk down to him or patronise him like a lot of bleeding hearts would have done in the same situation in order to make themselves look better.

There was really nothing in that clip to get worked up about, but certain media and opposition are going to take every chance to win points with the working classes by showing how 'out of touch' he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

If you don’t use your vote you should lose it. 3 no shows = no vote for 10 years.

Couples who have kids with genetic disabilities should not have any more after the first defective one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The best thing that could happen to Irish rugby right now is Johnny Sexton getting an injury that sidelines him for months or maybe even ends his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Would you not just wish he would retire rather than that he would get a nasty injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tayto cheese and onion are , and have always been, pure muck.

Advertisement