Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they do seem to be; you can see them reflecting off small reflective flashes on the cyclist's shoes, and on the kerbing and verge on the left. could just be a cheap camera with poor low light performance.

That's it, I've the same philosophy on the bike, in the car or on foot .... don't make it worse and don't be getting agro over it ... though I need to work on that last one a little unfortunately :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Irish motorways are a bizarre one for this, the number of times on the M11 or M4 I have seen a car overtaking another and then the car being overtaken accelerates to match the overtaking cars speed. Its not accidental or someone speeding up with a downhill. And they continue until the other car either drops the hammer or drops anchor, at which point they slow down to the speed they were already doing. It is very bizarre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it can be a psychological thing. with an open road in front of you, you've no real reference to your speed bar your speedo, and you can bleed off speed. if someone then overtakes you, you gain that reference, and as that car is travelling faster, you speed up to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's very apparent driving with cruise control on, you can spot the variances very easily. Most often I see people driving fast, then slow down - I overtake and they're on their phone. Then they presumably finish whatever they were doing with it and speed up again.

Nice of them to take that extra care while they're endangering everyone. <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its like the thing of the "fast lane" on the dual carriageway. Some people will be in it all day even if not moving faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bought a couple of sets of tyres from them a couple of months ago. It was about €130 total, and all duty/VAT etc was included in the price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭JMcL

Had the close cousin of this last night on the way back down the M9 from the CX. Driver "overtaking" at 100km/h, but not actually overtaking, then when they FINALLY get past, pull back over to the left (the ones that don't are another matter) and take off like a hare

Hopefully this is ok to ask here but has anyone tried Fulgaz it's an app that has real routes filmed by cyclists. Although on some of the Iron Man routes they are filmed by a car.

They charge €98 for a full year but they allow you to add a family member for free, so the cost split between two people would be €49 per year or just over €4 per month.

Anyone interested in going halves with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is there still CAT charged on something bought from the UL via Facebook marketplace? It’s a clothing item second hand so he could literally stick it on a Jiffy bag & post.

Yep, even if they mark it as a gift/present and say nothing was paid, then revenue make up their own mind on what its worth. Might get away with it if its under 45euro but to be honest, if you are buying it then you pay tax on it. Intentionally marking it as a gift is a big no no. How much is it, just as well to go official and get them to include a customs letter on the top of it (declare value and what it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You'll probably have to get them to do a customs declaration anyways with the codes etc, because otherwise it could end up in customs purgatory and just end up being sent back. Even for gifts have heard people trying to send packages etc from the states back to family in Ireland and it getting rejected after sitting there for weeks because they don't have the right tariff codes etc on it, post Brexit changes.

I wonder if you'd be better off using AddressPal, might work out a tad bit more expensive but could be less of a headache

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got done for something from northern Ireland and am having an ongoing row with an post. Even revenue said to me they have discretion when proof is valid to not collect charges

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thanks lads for the information. It doesn’t look to be worth the risk of customs purgatory even though it’s a sub £45 item.

Have a lovely day everyone

Knee deep in Lego here !!!!! Bikes ? Cycling? What are they ???? 😂

Grandson got a bike, so that's as close as I'll get for a few days to cycling.

My wife finally got that I wasn't joking when I said I wanted Lego for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Both of my boys are young enough to ask for Lego for Christmas, but old enough not to want me to help them assemble it anymore

• Advertisement

i think the niblings are happy with what they got; from youngest to oldest, it was lego, an electric guitar (shared between two), cash and cash.

My jaw was on the floor when I saw the Lego Millennium Falcon in Smyths, €850 though 😯

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It comes with two crews (so you can display the classic or new films).

That means it is only €425 per movie group!

Fairly sure the imperial star destroyer and death Star were cheaper in Denmark

They're something else. I watched a couple of videos of them and was highly impressed at the details. Buying one would almost surely require a locked room from where they could be assembled safely away from kids and partners grubby hands!!!!!!!

It's amazing the almost universal appeal Lego has though isn't it. It was an entire aisle floor to ceiling in Smyths.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Friend of mine bought it and built it. It's class.

Lego rocks!

christmas curmudgeon here. lego is pointless if it can just be used to make what's on the cover of the box.

and i speak as someone for whom getting this was a highlight of my childhood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I hate getting (and really hated it as a kid) a thing to make, or a set.

Big red box and whatever comes to your head is the best bit of Lego. I got a set once a a kid and its still my biggest Lego disappointment!

• Advertisement

The sets used to be a hit more generic.

I know I received a moon base, an Amazonian tribal base yoke, and an Alamo / civil war type fort.

They had so many different configurations if you wanted them to.

Now I've some sort of star wars set and an Obi wan to put together in the morning

One year I got a k'nex (underappreciated), mecano and Lego set.

Advertisement