Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

240 Bed Student Accommodation In Westside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This proposed development is a far cry from the Rahoon flats for goodness sake.

As for arguments about the proposed height - if all buildings have to be restricted to 3 or less floors, then we will be making the traffic worse, as it means more sprawl, people living farther away from city/university/shops who have to drive

Student accommodation there is the perfect spot - you can walk to shops, walk to college, walk to town. You will never need to drive anywhere if you live in this proposed development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Homelander

Trying to draw parallels between a high-end student accommodation block and the Rahoon flats is beyond grasping at straws.

I can respect where Mike Cubbard is coming from but that's just comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Less than half of Irish 18-24 year olds hold a driving license. And, for the minority that do hold a license, it does not automatically follow that they have the use of their own car. This block will make up a tiny fraction of the total accommodation taken up by students in Galway. If no carparking is offered at this block then logically the minority who want carparking should consider some of the many other accommodation offerings. And students who don't need carparking will probably find this new block attractive for its proximity to the college and to other amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Haha yes because the students will be lighting Bon fires and joyriding!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rustyfrog

"the minority who want carparking should consider some of the many other accommodation offerings"

It's not like students have a range of options like 20 years ago. They'll snap up wherever they can secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

I'm not sure if you even read what I wrote before you posted.

Sprawl? These are short-term student accommodation - in other words; proposed short-term lets which won't in any way lead to sustainable accommodation for our own. Also, a lot of the students at Universities are non-EU bearing in mind Ireland's notoriously lax student Visa system and the unsustainable third-level business model and the Irish Government looks to deregulate planning laws to allow building over a car park at Dunnes Stores in Westside Shopping Centre, Galway! I also wonder if these units might be converted into a centre for asylum seekers at some point in the future. This development is also an over-intensification of this area of Rahoon Galway despite experts previously warning the Government about the dangers of over-intensification.

They should be made take down all of the SHD's that An Bord Pleanala gave approval for over the last 6 years which resulted in an over-intensification of areas. India recently demolished 100-metre skyscrapers outside for 850 flats as stern warning to developers amid rampant bad planning practice. This could be done here also only it would declare the SHD's retroactively. It would of course be resisted by Leo Varadkar because it would show up his bad policies under Fine Gael. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Homelander

What do you mean, "for our own". Students, whether they come from abroad, from Galway, or some other county, need to live somewhere during college term. Dedicated student blocks are a good thing, frees up the general market. How you can try twist this is beyond me.

What do you mean, de-regulate planning laws? The operator of the shopping centre is on board with the plan, obviously, so I'm not sure what is being de-regulated here. Change of use is a valid planning regulation.

First, it was comparisons to Rahoon Flats.....now it's only been given planning permission and you're moving onto it being converted into an asylum seeker centre. This ridiculous hyperbole is doing you zero favors.

Over intensification and it's dangers.....it's a 240 bed student block in an urban zone smack bang in Galway City a stones throw from the university it will serve. Grasping at straws doesn't even begin to cover the ridiculous arguments you're trying to make.

The most basic Google search for the India reference shows they were demolished because they were in blatant breach of planning regulations. So it's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "bad planning practice", and everything to do with developers ignoring the law. In no way comparable to this development.

Again, I can respect Mike Cubbard's views on the character of area/impact on nearby estates, but you're just posting absolute nonsense.

I won't even get into the comical argument that strategic housing developments granted over the past six years should be all universally demolished, putting aside we're in the midst of a housing crisis.

I know. I spoke to dozens of people in Galway City who are mind boggled how An Bord Pleanala gave the approval for this. So many are saying it replicates the former Rahoon Flats, in a way I can see they have a point.

An Taisce and the Shantalla Residents Association seriously need to appeal this crazy An Bord Pleanala decision via Judicial Review. I hope people also remember that Fine Gael railroaded this undemocratic SHD planning legislation on people which is effectively a deregulation of Irish planning laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rustyfrog

"which won't in any way lead to sustainable accommodation for our own"

Groups of students are filling up former family homes across the city for silly money that families can't compete with.

It also creates tensions in "quiet neighborhoods" when students are enjoying life late into the evenings and the neighborhoods have to be up at 7am for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Its the foreigner's now. Sure at least they won't have cars so that's that problem solved

Post edited by xckjoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

Saw Mike Hubbard's daft, dramatic comments and just wanted to say that I think this development would be hugely positive for Westside and Galway. Student accommodation is so badly needed in the city centre and this is a 5 minute walk to NUIG. The whole "out of character" with the area is a terrible counter-argument for a part of Galway that looks the exact same as it did in the 1980s - a large, low level industrial estate. Why should we keep that "character"? The building in the drawing looks beautiful and will be the nicest building on the that side of the city.

The parking of student cars is something that needs to be planned for but it should in absolutely no way stop this from going ahead. Ireland is less car dependent that it was 30 years ago but families are much better off, hence, more students having cars. However, this can be managed by the university, local authorities, and the shopping centre to communicate with and put in policies that mean no cars should be parked in the surrounding area.

Build the accommodation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You should send that in to the local freesheet - except it is a 15 minute walk to OG! https://www.advertiser.ie/contact

Most of the public discourse appears to be against this development purely because of eh, reasons

The proposal have a website and a detailed transportation assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

Sounds like cubbard is against the gentrification of the westside which i find hilarious

Not in his backyard - something something, rahoon flats.

This proposed building would be some of the most well serviced buildings in Galway - right by a bus stop, 5 minutes walk to 2 supermarkets, 2 takeaways, an off license, 10mins from UHG and NUI, 5minutes walk from westside running track and park.. etc etc

You cannot find a better place for such a building. You really cant. And all you are losing is some car parking spots and the "view" from the road of Boyle sports and a low-rise Dunnes stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How do you reckon those buildings will look from Siobhan McKenna Rd?

While I agree its an excellent place for student accommodation, its certainly not city-centre, and going from 3 stories max in the rest of the neighbourhood to seven is a major jump.

Like it or not, Rahoon Flats did major damage to the public perception of high rise. The councillors are simply reflecting public opinion in the area, which is exactly what they are elected and paid to do.

Siobhan mcKenna road is lined with trees, you wouldnt see much anyways.

And sure there are plenty of bigger eyesores at street level in that neck of the woods than high rises 100s of meters away.

How do you reckon those buildings will look from Siobhan McKenna Rd?

I'm not sure there's any point on SMK road that this will be viewable from but even if there was thats not a reason not to build them

While I agree its an excellent place for student accommodation, its certainly not city-centre, and going from 3 stories max in the rest of the neighbourhood to seven is a major jump.

There is no requirement for student accomodation to be located in the city center so not an issue.

7 stories is not a big deal. With any luck it'll lead to more high density properties such as this in other well served sites around the city

Like it or not, Rahoon Flats did major damage to the public perception of high rise. The councillors are simply reflecting public opinion in the area, which is exactly what they are elected and paid to do.

Again, equating the rahoon flats with this is just moronic twaddle in the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@Mrs OBumble The councillors are simply reflecting public opinion in the area, which is exactly what they are elected and paid to do.

Do you really view the role of elected representatives that narrowly? Is there no room in your definition for leadership; for using their position to obtain a more in depth understanding of issues affecting the community, coming to conclusions based on that understanding, and going back to constituents and making recommendations, which may go against the positions voters initially express based on limited information or narrowly focussed messaging, and trying to inform and persuade?

You think that the residents of Westside are moronic twaddlers? Charming.

Suggest you don't tell them that to their faces.

How many seven story building are in your neighbourhood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

My issue with this development, (not that I necessarily object to it, per se) is that it is another example of developer led 'planning'. As usual in Galway, there is no vision for how the city should/will develop. If we had a plan to develop the Westside into a high-rise, high-density area, then maybe this could be the first part of it. But sadly, there is no plan. We're just waiting for the next developer to announce where the next big build will be and I'm pretty sure it won't be Westside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Am a resident of the area I welcome this Development and look forward to both the Higgins site getting Developed. I will see them all when I step outside my front door

We need more housing for residents, students etc and this is good a location as any + near two biggest employers West of the Corrib (and possible City)

Bring it on!

Delighted you have such a positive attitude to the development.

Please speak to your neighbours and convince them, too.

I agree - LAP's are sadly lacking. Headford Road is another example of this. What is our Council planning Dept (not the Cllrs) doing? Reacting not leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Will there be objections to this just opposite? Out of character etc

The owners have sought permission to demolish the first floor office space at the building to make way for three storeys with 60 apartments – 27 on the first floor; 27 on the second floor and six penthouse apartments.

7 3

7 3

7 3

Can you see the difference?

Actually its 4 stories tall, not 3. 3 extra in place of the 1st floor offices.

I think they should built it taller, only 4 stories in a unit of that size above a supermarket and beside a bus stop is a wasted opportunity

4 is fine, its very near the UHG helipad so it might not even get the additional 3 floors - they could just build over more of the surface car parking and have it underneath the apartments. It was a wasted opportunity that they did not do this the first time around when this place was built.

It's interesting to see from the comments here that most of the supporters of these over-intensified developments appear to be from outside the locality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Those pesky foreigner's are back to get us with their plans from Moscow to build unexpectedly large student accommodation. Next stop communism

Advertisement