Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teenagers no lights

• 11-12-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

last couple of weeks amount of teenagers going home 5 ish without any high vis or any lights is nuts , do schools not teach how important lights are any more ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭cletus

Yeah we teach it in bike safety class. My school runs two classes a week in it. Unfortunately it's an optional subject, so I'd say the kids you're seeing took home ec. instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Surely this isn't on the schools, is it not the responsibility of the parents? My two cycling age kids are 8 and 4 and they have lights on their bikes - I wouldn't let them out the door without them and I'll be following that up when they're teenagers too.

Defo there is a trend of boys on black Fiido bikes, in black duffle coats with no lights over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Cough, cough, cough... I don't wish to derail the thread but when I was a 'teenagent' back in the 80's my bike dint'even have brakes!!!

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They can't teach common sense in school. And sure, if they're hit by a car, there's a nice little claim going for them after taking zero responsibility for their safety. It's not just teenagers either. Plenty of fully grown men and women cycling in all black, no lights at all.

Not sure if it's any better than the cyclists with the flashing lights bright enough to burn your eyes out!!! We really need enforceable laws and regulation for this lack of, or dangerously bright lights.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got it,

Minors should take responsibility for if they get killed and motorists who drive 2 tonne metal boxes at speed shouldn't take responsibility for vulnerable road users they hit.

Oh and bike lights can be too bright or not bright enough but car lights are grand and dark coloured cars are grand,

🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Road deaths in Ireland in the 1980s

1981 572

1982 533

1983 535

1984 465

1985 410

1986 387

1987 462

1988 463

1989 460

Road deaths in Ireland in the 2010s (keep in mind there are over twice as many cars as there were in the 80s)

2010 212

2011 186

2012 163

2013 188

2014 192

2015 162

2016 182

2017 155

2018 137

2019 140

2020 147

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No that isn't what he meant. It's the cyclist's responsibility to have lights and make themselves as visible as possible by wearing hi-viz etc, as was pointed out earlier with young children it's the responsibility of the parents to make sure this is done. I'd prefer to see a too bright light than a person in black mashed against my windscreen.

I don't think it was possible for you to ram anymore horse sh!t into your reply than you managed. Well done to you 😂

Minors should be made to be responsible for their safety when using roads also used by 2 tonne metal boxes. My kids cycle to school and I make damn sure they have lights, helmets and hi-viz on. At the very least, these teenagers need to make an effort at being seen by the operators of these metal boxes. This means appropriate front and rear lights (powered on) and a high-viz covering. Cyclists wearing clothing the same colour as the road are far more likely to be struck by a metal box and dare I say it, to strike a parked metal box if they are that careless.

This thread is about cyclists (specifically teeenage cyclists) with no light. If you want to open a thread about car lights and colours, please feel free to do that rather than derail the thread with irrelevant nonsense in an effort to score a few "cyclists good, motorists bad" likes.

Stay Free

Master of the Universe

Actually in all situations it's the driver of the car that's responsible for not crashing into cyclists, pedestrians or anything else. Doesn't actually matter how luminescent they are.

Yes, cyclists should all wear high vis / have lights and are idiots for cycling around in the dark without, but ultimately they are not the one operating the 2 tonne metal box than can kill people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

teenagers do stupid stuff, like running in front of traffic, not wearing bikes on lights etc. drive slower in residential areas where you're likely to come across teenagers at night and try to be more aware of your surroundings. don't look at your phone for one.

• Advertisement

I do not understand why cyclists get so offended at the suggestion that they should wear high vis. And don't get me started on the fools zipping around on e-scooters.

There is no comparison between a cyclist in dark clothing, and a dark car. For one, a cyclist is much narrower. For two, a dark car will have great big red or white lights on them, depending on what direction you're facing.

If you want to compare this to some bike lights I've seen which appear to be not much bigger than a cigarette packet, and you expect that is going to stand out amongst all the red lights on the road on a dark night and be enough by itself to protect you, then with all due respect, you're being foolish.

Wear the damn high viz.

never have never will. i must be the only person who doesn't have issues seeing people walking or cycling or any other things when i'm driving. lights are sufficient for bikes in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This thread is about cyclists (specifically teeenage cyclists) with no light. If you want to open a thread about car lights and colours, please feel free to do that rather than derail the thread with irrelevant nonsense in an effort to score a few "cyclists good, motorists bad" likes.

mod note: if you want to police the thread, ask a mod to do it, it's not your job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing i will say, is that some standardisation/regulation of lights would be welcome. even standardisation of mounts, so if your light was stolen or broken, you wouldn't have to change the mount too when replacing it.

isn't nearly every light used by cyclists now against the national regs, because the regs stipulate the surface area of the light and not brightness?

we have a megathread about hi-vis, best take that there. because we generally tend to send all debate about hi-vis to it anyway.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057136508/hi-vis-discussion-thread-read-post-1/p93

Then on your own head be it. I hope some day you don't end up in an accident because you neglected to make yourself as visible as possible on the road, especially after dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

iirc the regs are 2 inch surface area, and light visible x yards away. So yes, I'd say every modern led light (including those given out by the gardai as part of "road safety" initiatives are technically in breach of the legislation).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you are upset motorcyclists don't wear hi viz? 😂

Plenty of cars drive in stealth mode in the evenings with no lights on, visibility could easily be improved by cars being in hi viz colours.I don't understand why motorists get so offended when its suggested cars should be in hiz viz colours, they travel at speed, its important people see them.

Safety should be the priority for any car owner.

I don't wear hi viz when cycling, if a motorist can't see my bike they are beyond blind and shouldn't be on the road.

As for teenagers on bikes with no lights, the real reason this is a problem is mostly the wrong types of bikes are sold in shops. Most places sell mountain bikes which are simply not practical when it comes to lights, mudguards etc. They are SUV's of the bike world, vast majority don't need them and they actually only make cycling harder due to size, weight and tyre width.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I too have no issue seeing people, cyclists, animals, or even road detritus when travelling on roads at suitable speeds with my headlights on. The only time I've recently cursed a cyclist was one who passed me on the inside whilst I was attempting a turn and was invisible due to the complete lack of a front light (in fog).

• Advertisement

Should safety not be the priority for everyone on the road? Cyclists included?

Yes in my opinion motorcyclists should wear high viz too, and most I see do. I wear a high viz sleeve myself when out walking after dark. I have a collar with high viz on my pet so they can be better seen in the dark!

As I said, I don't understand the resistance to taking such a simple measure. It just seems like taking a petty stand and cutting your nose of to spite your own face, and if an accident does occur, whose going to come off worst?

But following mod instruction, (post 16) I'll leave it there.

thanks so much for your concern. i suggest you drive slower and put your phone in the glove compartment when driving too especially at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not just teens although it’s most a teen issue.

Safety on our roads is a culture thing. Enabling that culture is the responsibility of cyclists and motorists and indeed pedestrians. All Road users.

if you want to participate in enabling a safer culture on our roads for drivers, cyclists and indeed pedestrians…..part of that is lighting up, being visible. It’s for this reason the RSA are still having to advocate ‘be safe be seen’ and have a campaign to do so… if some in the cycling community want to moan about everyone else and demand better road safety.. they need to realise they have a responsibility themselves in that regard too…

From RSA.ie….. “Cyclists are reminded that at night you must a have a white light to the front and a red light to the back on your bicycle. These are the minimum lighting requirements laid down by law. However, to be even more visible to motorists at night, you should consider wearing a reflective armband, ‘Sam Browne’ reflective belt or reflective vest.”

but according to some cyclists… ‘ drivers should just be more careful ‘…..? no, yesterday in the fog, around dusk too…I observed cyclists without a single light and without illuminative clothing….many of course were compliant helping and enabling that culture of safe roads for everyone…hi vis, lights etc…

Hi vis vest costs about 5 euros. Get them anywhere.

USB rechargeable front and rear light 21.50 in Halfords.

26.50…. so it can’t be the money that is stopping people…. There really isn’t an excuse.

What's with the aggressive tone and smart remarks? Was I uncivil to you? You know nothing about me, or my driving habits, so quit it with the attitude. You don't need to be so rude. Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It's dangerous, drivers can't see them until they're on top of them. Yellow jackets with reflective strips should be obligatory in dull and dark conditions. For pedestrians, too.

I find it's even worse in the rain, with street and car lights reflected off wet surfaces it can be very difficult to see people in dark coats. I came close to running down two girls crossing the road a few years back in those conditions.

And will you be keeping a builders vest on your passenger seat, so you can pull it on when you get out of the car to go to the shop/cafe/wherever? You know, for when you're a pedestrian?

I'm not sure of the point of this thread anyway. How many of the teenagers with no lights on their bikes does the OP think will be reading this thread?

oh for f**ks sake. high vis should be obligatory for pedestrians. how about reducing speed limits to 20km/h for cars when conditions are bad?

any more ad hominem like this and you'll be taking a holiday from this thread.

pointless thread anyway we already have the hi viz one for people to give out about cyclists

• Advertisement

Clearly all clothing should be hi viz in order for this to happen, we can't have drivers slowing down...don't be silly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies to EviePie, MB had not warned everyone to drop Hi Vis. This is a warning to everyone. If you want to mention Hi Vis, go to the megathread, have a read of it first in case you want different opinions. This thread will only refer to lights and teenagers being teenagers.

Any issues please drop me a PM

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Of course it matters how luminescent they are, you completely contradict yourself in the second paragraph 🤔🤔. I don't drive around with my lights off at night, I'd like cyclists to return the favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The vast majority of teenagers don't drive so they are unaware of how difficult it can be to see them.

(In my experience, it's the same for adult cyclists who don't drive - they tend to have no lights or very poor lights).

Not just teens. We live near an industrial park, at about half 7 in the morning I see maybe up to a dozen adults cycling across junctions in dark clothing, no lights. Mad.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Stay Free

There were at least a few cars as well 😂

As previously mentioned, the issues with no lights stem from the wrong types of bikes being sold in this country. It's like selling cars without mudflaps and lights.

Is this like a new version of pink unicornism? We can't see those mystical invisible cyclsts and pedestrians, but we have faith in the belief that they exist.

Reminds me of a conversation I had at a dinner table not too long ago. We were discussing a friend of mine who had been hit by a car while cycling in the hard shoulder in daylight. One of the people atthe table started saying that, she knew it wasn't his fault, but you know the way cyclists come out of nowhere, sometimes. I pointed out that for the 80 or so miles I'd cycled the previous week, I was always somewhere. I've yet to master the trick of appearing randomly on a road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I see quite a few people on e-bikes/Scooters who have a really, really bright front light, bit no rear light! I see them because they are coming towards me. I have sympathy for the motorists who come across these muppets from behind.

I also saw a guy walking along the Naul road with his back to oncoming traffic. No lights, bright clothing etc.

finally, it was amazing that I saw them at all...when I arrived at work I realized the front lights on my car were off! (I had Front Fog lights and DRL's and i assumed my lights were bad due to frost/ice on the lens)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mud flaps? I've never bought a car that had mud flaps fitted. And if I had, they'd be coming off straight away. Bit like wearing wellington boots with a suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whatboutery alert. But I've lost count of the amount of drivers I've had to tell to put on their lights the last few weeks.

End of the day, some people are just morons. It's not just folks on bikes.

worth mentioning, there have been a few visitors to this thread who are not familiar with the cycling forum; the vast majority of posters in the cycling forum are fond of their lights. there's multiple threads about what the best lights are for various situations. most posters here are big fans of lights, but are wary about lights (and other factors which belong in The Other Thread) being offered as primary factors in cyclist safety.

in short, when cyclists talk about things which can affect their safety, they tend to talk about woeful road design, lack of enforcement of road traffic law etc.; when non-cyclists talk about cyclist safety, they tend to talk about things more obvious to a non-cyclist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I cycled through Dublin city centre a week ago in the dark and was surprised at the number of people on bikes with no rear light. I also saw the gardai pulling over a deliveroo rider who had no rear light. I recall waiting at the lights on the south quays at O'Connell bridge and thinking that I was one of a few on bikes who had rear lights (or front lights).

That said, I don't think that I didn't see any of them. I also believe that the drivers travelling along the quays at the same time as me also saw them all given the vast majority were in excess of the speed limit and many were also preoccupied with their phone.

The main reason why there are people amongst all categories of road users who break rules is the lack of enforcement. The gardai pulling over the deliveroo lad was the first time I've ever seen that in a long time. No speed vans, no stopping drivers on their phones. Why would one stick to the rules when so many others couldn't be arsed?

In addition, the legislation on bike lights needs to come out of the sixties and be more specific. We need to specify minimum lumens for rear lights - too many people have lights that meet the mandatory size but have poor intensity from a reasonable distance. Maybe then the RSA and Gardai will stop giving out those crap yokes that give out less light as a toy from a Christmas cracker.

we see a lot of deliveroo cyclists where we live; the guys with both front and rear lights are probably in the minority.

Master of the Universe

There's legal responsibility and personal responsibility.

As a driver you are legally responsible for not crashing into people and cyclists, whether they are lit up or not. That was the first part of my post.

The second part of my post is personal responsibility, cycling without lights at night is a really stupid, reckless thing to do. It doesn't, however, legally absolve you of anything if you crash into someone not lit up, so the ultimate responsibility still lies with you, the driver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It doesn't absolve the driver but it will play a large part in mitigation during sentencing. To be honest, any cyclist without half decent lights on them is a fool in this day and age. Halfords do half decent ones for next to nothing. As a driver, I have never had an issue seeing someone at night, I certainly don't see them until they are really close if they don't have lights on but I still see them in time. If they have lights though, I can see them from nearly 1km away or further if line of sight allows.

Aside from the legal side of things where the cyclist is in the wrong for no lights at night, the other thing is, law aside, people drive like sh1te in Ireland, and if someone hits me because they were not paying attention and I had no lights, I have to accept that if i had decent lights, it would have greatly increased my chances of not getting hit. It doesn't reduce it to zero, as if they aren't looking, they won't see you but it will reduce the chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭boardlady

I agree with you completely. And I agree with the op that there are loads of unlit teens cycling around in the past few weeks.

But I also have to say that my kid is a teen now and all those lovely 'rules' I had when he was younger - like the helmet and the hi-vis - are more easily abandoned by him now. More often that not, he leaves the house without even a jacket on, never mind any form of cycling protection. I don't say this lightly, it terrifies me, but unfortunately our 'control' of them eeks away as they become teens.

As for the adults without lights etc, the mind boggles. I often think people don't consider things from other points of view. I'm a big walker, and I have one neighbour at least who I am convinced will kill me some day. He flies past me, gravel whizzing, waving gleefully. He never walks anywhere so has no idea of how fast he is passing me on country roads with no footpaths. Equally, cyclists who don't drive (most teens) haven't a clue just how invisible they are to traffic. Drivers, who don't cycle, are guilty of not considering the cyclists too perhaps ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

E-scooters

Bane of my life. Often no lights, kids wearing black puffer coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is an obvious need for a 21st century lighting regulation which reflect the availability of LED lights etc. Then these need to be enforced rigorously, in this age of rechargeable batteries and led lights it is much easier to maintain lights than in times past. Regulations on the standardisation of mounts would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Or your relatives would do so on your behalf .

• Advertisement
Advertisement