Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am Proud of Being a Conspiracy Theorist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

First it was 'we' meant only people in the moon programme.

Then it was Americans only...

In the space of a couple of posts you cant even stay consistent on that but feel free to lecture others on their use of we?

People do generally take pride in the achievements of humanity in art and science and it was a common reaction at the time from non Americans that this was an achievement showing what human beings were capable of. In this case American human beings.

Perhaps easier at the time for those on the American side of the Cold War or at least non USSR side.

And all the more reason to believe it was not hoaxed when there was a large cohort of experts in the USSR space programme with zero reason to play along with a hoax.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Nope. A conspiracy theorist is someone who believes conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theories being ridiculous claims about secret plots that rarely make any sense. A perfect example being the notion that the moon landing is fake.

The term is well defined and understood.

I think it's more:

"I don't understand the complex thing, but some grifters online are offering me a simpler explanation that I'm able to grasp, so therefore I'm able to pretend I understand it even better than experts."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

if by Conspiracy Theorist you mean that you think some secret influential group is responsible for a particular or phenonemn but without any evidence other than unsubtantiated ancillary hearsay and can remedy that by the fact the secret group would destroy the evidence.

Constructively challenging a topic, reviewing different spources of evidence, rank the merits and form an opinion is something to be proud of. Being a conspiracy theorist because you don’t have to prove your and can disregard facts by saying that’s what they want you to believe is a bit juvenile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Or something bad happened so I’ll blame it on people I don’t like.

• Advertisement

Has any conspiracy theory actually being shown and proven to be true. I actually can’t think of any. Which means the premise of this thread I am proud that not one of my thoughts or opinions or a correct or even sane.

You're probably going to get lots of "watergate! Mkultra!" Etc. Thrown at you.

But if you define conspiracy theories as theories about giant conspiracies speculated on the internet by amatuers rather than ones exposed by actual journalists. Then there have been no examples.

Investigative journalists are extremely hard-working, risk-taking people. They do a lot more than come up with a theory/read about someone else's theory and insist it's fact with no solid evidence.

Journalism is in sh1t, we should question things... I think we're both going to agree on that. But mere theories, ideas, notions - nothing concrete to substantiate them, just a hunch? This is most certainly not the answer.

Honestly there is not much to discuss on this topic. It was clear when it was announced that conspiracy theorists do the job that journalists are supposed to do became apparent what this is. Be proud of ground your thoughts and opinions on fairytales that are embarrassing to raise anywhere other than bud year in university, with a joint and trying to impress the Erasmus student with out of the box thinking. Good luck with the National Enquirer. Flat earth might need a spokesperson, if you can get past the lizard gatekeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

What if you don't believe the official narrative of a story but you have no idea what actually happened or what is going on.

Does that make someone a Conspiracy Theorist ?

Its like when a dodgy politician is talking BS and you can tell they are trying to hide something.

Remember when Bertie Ahern was trying to explain away carrying a suitcase full of cash ?

I have no theory as to why Bertie was carrying the cash but I didn't believe any of his explanations on why he had the cash and it looked extremely dodgy to me.

These days I would probably be called a "Conspiracy Theorist" if the story came out today for not believing Bertie and thinking whatever he was doing was probably extremely dodgy.

Well it depends.

What do you mean by "official narrative"?

If this is to be taken as most conspiracy theorists usually mean it, it means that the media was part of the conspiracy and are spreading a false story at the behest of the conspirators. This would indeed classify as a conspiracy theory.

What do you classify as a conspiracy theory and how do you distinguish between valid ones and invalid ones?

But that’s not a conspiracy,, that’s trying to get away with tax evasion.

The fact that not one conspiracy has been proved means that the people hiding the evidence haven’t made one mistake one leak. No releasing it to throw someone under the bus. The fact of changes in government they couldn’t use to hang the opposition. Like they couldn’t hide a Pareto for 15 peiple in Westminster but the same people have controlled every thing important since the dawn of ti,e. Legends

It could be a conspiracy because we have no idea what he was doing.

When people carry suitcases full of cash it is generally a bit more serous than "tax evasion".

If the cops found someone with a suitcase full of cash who wasn't known to them they would be coming up with many possible "theories" as to why they had the cash.

A suitcase full of money could be used to pay off a hitman or for a major drugs deal but in normal life people don't carry suitcases full of cash outside of the criminal world.

Firstly it was a briefcase of cash not a suitcase, it was. 30k. It was from a Manchester businessman who was going from the real Ning of land. That’s not a conspiracy.

hitman drug deals ,come on now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

What if you don't believe the official narrative of a story but you have no idea what actually happened or what is going on.

On this forum, that's usually a denier.

Someone who wants to deny widely accepted facts (e.g. that the world is round) but has little or no idea how to explain otherwise (they can't demonstrate how it's flat). It's usually a level worse than a conspiracy theorist because they have no conspiracy. They typically aren't interested in any counter-explanation.

But you aren’t going to blanket believe in every conspiracy. Like flat earth don’t necessarily believe that the vaccination was going to put a microchip in or 5g was the devil

so name what theory your proud of

and are flat earth proud of it or just mentally ill

I'm not saying he was involved in any of those things but if the cops came across someone carrying all that money they would be thinking the worst.

30k was no small sum in the 90s it would actually buy you a house.

When are you carrying enough money with you to buy a house you have to be up to something seriously dodgy but whatever it is there can be no innocent explanation for it.

How does that work ?

I don't believe in god but I don't disbelieve in god either does that make me a "denier" of god ?

• Advertisement

In 1990 the average price of a house was 60k. It was to bribe for a rezoning. And hitmen and drugs with Bertie are not conspiracy theories, they are just comedy

You are waiting for more evidence to make your mind up. A denier is someone who chooses a definitive side with no evidence and only to contradict the other side because it’s voiced by a party or group

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You mean like the pyramids...

Vast fleets of sailing ships that stripped Ireland of forests. Vast fleets of steam powered battle ships all gone. Railway guns that could fire across the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’m seeing more of this online.

People proudly claiming the are conspiracy theorists and they were right about everything.

It usually revolves around the vaccine.

these trackers in the vaccine, covid being man made , fake moonlanding, flat earth cia for jfk: Area 51 etc like literally any of these had any basis then Donald could have been able to release the evidence of it. Imagine if he had, and had demonstrated all these historic and fundamental lies being and he Would be the person to be honest. He would never have to leave the whitehous again. But not one sliver. He also promised laptops of hunter biden. None.

Post edited by joeguevara on

To use your own example, it's like saying man didn't land on the moon because you "cant believe it". And when someone asks what really happened instead, you draw a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Hmm I wonder why they would be claiming that.. *laughs in NZ child being made a ward of medical professionals just because parents wanted readily available unvaccinated blood during a procedure*

Yes, why would they be claiming that when none of their ridiculous predictions came true?

Conspiracy theorists are often also anti-vaxxers. It fits their irrational paranoia, that someone is "out to get them", in this case that the vaccines will contain magnets or microchips or poison.

As for the NZ baby. The parents have made a strange demand for custom blood specially for their infant, that's not feasible and a judge has ruled against that. Since the child still requires the surgery (it's life saving) the court has ordered the surgery to go ahead. Some parents are incapable of taking proper care of their children because of extreme beliefs.

Anti-vaxxers, conspiracy believers and so on often seize on stories like that, because they want to perceive it as the "evil" authorities want to control someone's child, or it's evidence of some "evil" vaccine agenda at play. It's a type of black and white thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Thats true, not even the most paranoid would have thought that the government would take your parental rights off you for your own child while they were in a critical health state simply for asking for an easily doable action. Its about as hard as asking if he can wear his spiderman pyjamas during the procedure. Its not "feasible" my ass. They had the donors lined up, you're telling me these doctors, who are top medical professionals and hospital administrators couldn't have made this happen?

And before ye go, well then, people could ask for blood from only people who were the same religion, or the same race etc, so what? If the parents provide the donors and it gives them peace of mind at a time when they're out of their minds with worry about the health of their child, why WOULDN'T you do it?

Oh yeah, because you have to drag them through the courts for months in order to reassert the supremacy of your agenda, and certain orthodoxies that cannot be challenged in any way shape or form. So instead of being there to comfort them in the worst time of their lives, you make an example out of them and put them in their place. How "caring". How "necessary". How "in the best interests of the patient"

Advertisement