Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking lights are for being PARKED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭blackbox

Unfortunately these are often referred to as sidelights an people who aren't very thoughtful think it's ok to drive using them.

In the 1980s I had a Fiat where you could only turn on the parking lights by pressing a little button when removing the key. A pity all manufacturers didn't follow this design.

It amazes me in modern cars that you can actually turn off the DRLs, never mind that they don't operate the tail lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah I see, I'd have always heard those called side lights. But would you not use side lights/ rear lights on their own in that time of day between very clear visibility and when full headlights are needed? I always have and see lots of drivers do this. A sort of half way step.

What's this about a legal requirement to use dipped headlights from 5 pm in the evening. Is this in Irish legislation? And hardly applies throughout the full year? Puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

My cars DRLs are nice and bright. Turning on the parking lights turns on the tail lights, but dims the DRLs. I'd like to be able to have the tail lights on and the full brightness DRLs. So that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Anyway in the greater scheme of things, it's better to have side lights on than no lights at all. And testing drivers vision - my own is noticeably less able as I get older. Once could see sharply and drive without tiredness for hours, now aware that more breaks needed and longer journeys better done in good daylight. Maybe that's Bass's problem with cars seeming further away! And if we really want to be productive, an immediate ban on drivers who insist on reversing into the traffic flow because they're too lazy and/or incompetent to reverse park!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Can you give even one example where driving with sidelights is even remotely suitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Talk to your dealer, or better still, the manufacturer.

So a driver with no lights blows through a pedestrian crossing, and your big concern is whether she is described as elderly or very elderly. Do you think you might have missed the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd be happy if something was done about the "one eyed jacks" who drive with one working headlight, usually on the passenger side, so the car is in total darkness on one side. I know a bulb can blow at any time, and some might be limping the car home, but I see so many , they can't all have lost a bulb 5 mins before!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I clarified for you. I said she was likely - in my opinion - 80.

I didn’t focus on it. YOU were the one who focused on it, rather than the fact that she was driving in the dark with no lights on, almost hit two pedestrians (one being a child) on a pedestrian crossing, clipped the curb, and drove off as if nothing happened

I know which is the more important part of that. And it’s not using the word “very” before “elderly”. I keep mentioning PC because only someone obsessed with being PC would focus on what you focused on from that near miss. And it was a “very” near miss.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My understand of one of the reasons why there is little enforcement of lighting regulations, is because the law simply states that you must turn your lights on in certain conditions (dusk/dawn) , but it doesn't state exactly which lights, so parking/side lights are technically acceptable.

If someone wants to find the relevant SI for lighting regulations,.. be my guest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My favourite is the cars driving in the dark that come with DRLs but they’ve been deactivated too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, whoever mandated that as standard on DRLs is more stupid than the drivers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

How does that matter to what the poster said about the manner of driving? Nothing ageist implied. Bad driving is just that.

When is a question pointless...? It's rhetorical... But asking a definition of elderly seems to fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I just leave my lights on pretty much all of the time. Better to be visible at all times. And what is the negative for me? My bulbs might wear out a little sooner than if I turned lights on/off?

My major gripe is the total lack of enforcement on vehicles running with blown bulbs.

As a cyclist, I would include cyclists with no lights or inadequate lights.

Be safe, be seen. An old saying and never out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

Just flagellate yourself as punishment for not being perfect, a crime worse than death for enlightened boardies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

No. My point is, whether you want to describe them as very elderly, a young boy racer or a traveller in a white van, doesn't add anything. All bad driving should be admonished

I live close to a school with traffic lights for pedestrians. Every day I see someone break the lights, most common is the driver who spots the amber light and puts the boot down to get through them, usually gone red.

I warn my children every day, that just because the green man is showing , look and don't assume the car approaching is goin to stop.

Bad driving in this country is too widespread.

I agree with you about cyclists needing lights, but the oul 'be safe be seen' is more about transferring blame than anything. There's no lights that will get this driver to see you.

Try checking out the number of drivers with one or two brake lights blown, or the entire light cluster on one side not working. I see multiple of these on every journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

I think it's unfair to put the blame on your average motorist in many cases, just as blaming the pilots of the 737 MAX for not reading the manual didn't wash with the FAA, EASA or any other regulatory authority. There is a reasonable expectation of standardisation across something absolutely as basic as lights, but the Korean manufacturers manage to screw it up, the Japanese aren't great, and the Europeans could do better.

I get into a 3 Series, and turn the lighting control to the below symbol.

The dashboard shows this symbol.

Are my dipped beams on?

I get into an E-Class. The dashboard shows the below symbol.

Are my dipped beams on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watch when that car is being sold ie ' one careful lady owner'.

• Advertisement

Ha

The Be Safe Be Seen was a throw in for all road user. There are motorists, pedestrians, cyclists that you cannot see properly.

Sure we have all heard SMIDSY when cycling in broad daylight.

With you on the brake lights etc. Where are AGS on this?

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭bmc58

Or no lights at all in thick fog as I witnessed many times on the M8 this frosty and very foggy morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peter4918

I fail to see the correlation between this story and the incorrect use of parking lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Thank you for that valuable contribution. Did you correct the other posters who s add Lao mentioned driving without any lights or is this honour reserved for just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

My car has, DLR, side lamps & Parking Lights. Just had to read thru the guide, again, as I'm now confused. I’ve an 2013 A Class and I pretty much just use Auto & the side lights options. I use the side lights option as I don’t trust that my Auto lights works properly, I know there’s a fault saying 'message is missing'. I use the auto at night and do know that all my correct lights work, it’s just I don’t want to be driving around the city with all lights a blaze in the daytime.

So my question is if I’m parked up on the LHS or RHS of a road in the dark should I have one of those illuminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Hehe, yeah. Had a goon behind me on the M50 last week, 07:30 and pissing rain with nary a light to be seen. I put on my flashers, hit him with the rear fogs umpteen times and it made not a whit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Handbags a plenty being thrown around.

... And that is why we don't talk about fog lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Manufacturers don't include DRLs on the rear, because there is absolutely no need for rear light in broad daylight at good visibility. And that's the only conditions when DRLs should be used. It would be pointless to include rear lights in such conditions.

I think that technical term for them is position lamps.

Indeed they seemed to have been popular in the older days, when people tent to turn them on during rain or when it was getting dark but not completely dark yet.

However considering most cars on Irish roads nowadays have DRLs, I though use of side lights (position lamps) was in decline.

• Advertisement

But they actually do.

In any regular car, type approved for use in Europe, fog lights can only be turned on when either side lights (position lamps) or headlights (dipped or full beam) are on. And all of those also cause rear tail light to turn on.

So there is no possible scenario where you can turn on fog lights without having rear tail lights on. Not on a car that wasn't modified anyway.

Advertisement