Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This article reads a helluva lot into one short line to deduce he will be sharing the role

While advising Celebrimbor in metallurgy before that, however, Sauron responded to the Elf's praise with the ominous line, "Call it... a gift."...The very deliberate use of the word "gift" here is an allusion to Annatar - the disguise Sauron uses to infiltrate Eregion in J.R.R. Tolkien's original The Lord of the Rings mythology...Sauron still possesses his ability to change form at this point, meaning The Rings of Power's Annatar could (and should) look completely different to Halbrand, probably resembling something closer to an Elf than a mortal. That would almost certainly require Charlie Vickers to share Sauron with a different actor in The Rings of Power season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That whole rights thing is SO weird.572 million they paid for the rights to everything by the sounds of it. As opposed to 250 million or something Amazon paid for just Lord of The Rings book.

However making a Marvel-type franchise (MECU.....😀) is a tough ask. It requires patience and a firm guiding hand. Look at how the lack of focus and patience and overall view has resulted in attempt after attempt from Warner Bros to create a similar franchise failing. Of course the films made money but their attempt of making an Avengers-type franchise has failed.

It is certainly doable but difficult. You have thousands of years of timeline to work with but some would be more cinematic than others. Let's just say they plan on re-doing The War of The Ring. You could certainly have a movie about Aragorn, the Rangers. A movie about Gandalf, about Gondor, about Rohan. The Dwarves. But could you have one about the Elves? The Hobbits? Without inventing higher drama for them? You could certainly do one "Phase" as Marvel described them. But then after the War of The Ring? Do you go back 1000 years?

I mean, they certainly have more to play with than Amazon have and one would assume that they would attempt to reach out to Peter Jackson as an overall Kevin Feige-type masermind. But would he be interested.

It is gonna get VERY messy. That whole buy out smacks of these companies simply hoovering up every IP going to flog them off later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just finished episode 8..

Some great lines.."I am good" from the big wizard who hangs out with the wee Irish lads.

Then the little lass who hangs around with the big wizard took what seemed like 2 hours to leave her clan. I'm surprised my TV survived that scene intact.

Also the mystery of Sauron was totally ruined for me. I can't unsee what I just watched.

Still, if they sort out the writing and some of the actors maybe it can be saved..I think I can go back for season 2 but if its more of the same I'll be out

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Part of me thinks that, for the closing scene, Sauron should have walked in slo-mo accompanied by a heavy guitar riff before turning full on to face the camera (and maybe winking).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Hang on one god darn tooting minute. For that plan to work the Elves would either have to be struck down with collective amnesia or just be dumber than the Harfoots or Galadriel says nothing while a stranger just appears from nowhere to help/encourage the elves to make more rings.

It would make a mockery of the show if they tried to pull this stunt but they've written themselves into a corner by having the Sauron reveal first followed by the 3 elf rings. Considering the complete lack of talent these writers have shown to date nothing would surprise me in the slightest.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve only just thought of this.

“The Southlands” is a feckin terrible name. Completely lacking in imagination. It’s a microcosm of the lack of imagination these writers show.

Middle earth has some great names: Gondor, Arnor, Rohan, Lindon, Harad.

And the Southlands??????

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

They probably seen a mention of the Easterlings and thought "by jove, wouldn't it be super clever if there was also a Southland?" And then proceeded to give themselves a congratulatory pat on the back for a job well done.

Well you do have Westron and the Southrons

But not a king named “Westlands”, that’s Gondor, Arnor, Rohan etc.

It’s just so lazy.

they/them/theirs

I know but it's the smallest of issues plaguing this show

• Advertisement

thats why I used the term microcosm.

I keep trying to give it a break and then these things occur to me. I’m not watching the next series at all

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B lotto 79

I was pleasantly surprised by this.

I have always loved the LOTR books and the films. That said, I did not like The Hobbit movie at all - to this day I haven’t watched parts 2 and 3.

For the Amazon series, I held off until it was over and binge watched it over two nights. Now it’s not perfect - clunky dialogue and unnecessary slow motion scenes being the main problems. After a slow start the last three episodes were great - probably suited binge watching as opposed to watching an episode weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

This show makes zero sense, how you man is sauron makes no sense

Also when leeny Henry got killed, it is the one of the most funniest things I have ever seen on the tele

This whole show makes more sense if it was meant to be a piss take

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That made me laugh a bit more than it should have.

Swiss Sauron “walking into Modor is like making love to a beautiful woman…”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Highway to hell by AC/DC

with halbrand doing widdly woo air guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭corkie

Theory: The Stranger is a Blue Wizard, not Gandalf | The Rings of Power

I hope that he is a Blue Wizard, more freedom in scripting the character than being stuck to the lore of Gandalf.

We will still have to wait until 2024 to find out, also HOD is not due till then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sorry but seeing all these youtube posts reminded me ;-(

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I watched the first episode earlier.

Fantastic stuff - and it feels like it could fit in with the Jackson movies but also feels like it’s own thing.

I was expecting this to be a Sauron origin story but I’m glad it isn’t - I prefer him being a mystery.

As I understand it, Hobbits are descended from Harfoots but are they the same size? Because when the old one emerges from the grass behind the hunters he does seem to be very, very small - much smaller than the Hobbits in the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Waited for it all to come out and watched it together. As others have said, if you don't like Middle Earth and it's lore, you'd find it boring. With one small battle scene, you'd wonder where all the money went or how it's so expensive.

Game of Thrones/House of Dragons get people on board who don't like fantasy as it's Desperate Housewives set in a fantasy environment. Rings of Power doesn't offer that low brow stuff, or Tolkien's world in general, so was always going to struggle to bring in a 17 year old girl stuck on her phone for example, or one could argue, the passive general masses.

As someone who loves anything Tolkien I loved it, but maybe as it was a case of going back into that world finally. I find anything about Middle Earth fascinating, so regardless of what happened was always going to be intrigued. And in a way, it was better than I hoped, as if it was made for fans of Middle Earth, who had interest in the world building and known characters interacting in the second age.

I don't agree with those who say it strayed from the source material, I think it stayed close and "made up" up things that were arbitrary. Adar could of been one of the first orks, wasn't personally named in the source material, but there were first orcs. Giving one an arbitrary name is understandable

All in all a fascinating and intriguing show that I loved, with the best still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So he decided to cut off before he even got to the 'but'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Leave him at it, leaving for a role he potentially thinks is bigger than Tolkien's universe? Season one having a positive reception could quickly turn into a huge popular cultural show with a slight push.

People forget when the Fellowship was released as a film, it was to apathy and moderate success and positive attitude. Wasn't till after it turned into the cultural phenomenon it became today.

To this day, Tolkien's world has done something no other fantasy film or franchise will ever achieve. Both commercial and critical success. Lauded by both the public and the critics who hand out the Oscars. Had to be something special for a fantasy film to achieve its standing.

Point is, you have a role in Tolkien's universe and walk, you deserve to be left out of any following success. Just being offered a role in a Tolkien work is an honour in itself. Hope that actor lives to regret it!

Advertisement