Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Profile option

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Don't think you can preclude yourself from the law because you can't afford to obey the law.

If not a part of Boards, are Admins a defacto third party? Has the relationship been formalised since GDPR?

If I did a foi request, would I be able to see anything a mod has said about me?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

No, because FOI only applies to public bodies.

I'm gonna suggest that it should not be a warning / ban offence for calling some account out for being a troll. The report function is beyond broken. Trolls are all over this site.

Edit - thanks for whoever booted that Sam lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is this like removing automatic saving of drafts? They say the change will be made and then nothing happens.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is very true. There are certain posters that only seem to exist to post contrarian views, belittle or bait others, and do so repeatedly across varying topics to the point that it becomes obvious and predictable.

Yet they go completely ignored by the mods who will sanction others for far less, often because they seem to disagree with the content more than anything.

My own take is that it's akin to radio talk shows having callers on who make outlandish or off the wall comments that then prompts others to call in and argue with them.

Given the state of this site these days it's probably a deliberate effort to try and retain the reduced traffic that remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RobertShaw8

Hi I can't post in different forums farming included

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I miss my old pms

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi. Try it now? There seems to be a lag between new users verifying their accounts and being able to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 simonbel

Is the most straightforward way just a euphemism for the cheapest way?

1 bhk for rent in jlt

Hello Niamh.

Will you please delete my account.

Many thanks.

The account that you created an hour ago, seemingly just to post this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are some serious eejits out there on t'internet.

But it looks like the delete account function has finally returned!

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michelle 17

Can I get a price for braodband and wifi and multiroom pack my email is <removed> ty

Post edited by Spear on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

@michelle 17 If you want to ask about broadband, then ask in the broadband forum. Don't attempt to hijack unrelated threads like this, it's not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can't see that on mobile, I presume you still need to send an email and hope for the best?

Whatever happened to this plan? Still plenty of private profiles about. Usually brand new accounts who are suspiciously knowledgeable about the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Hi,

A user was not able to send me a PM as it said my profile is private, how do I turn this off? Can't even remember turning it on in first place.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So ... it looks like option was removed, but selection remain as it was. Interesting...

@shmeee your profile appear as private, and i cannot see option on my own anymore.

To post PM to any user, just go to your messages, start new message and provide full name for recipient, as such..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Got that message, thanks.

I say many users aren't aware of that work around.

Can I make my profile public?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Workaround was mentioned several times before, but yeah, not everyone would be aware.

As for making profile public - don't see how, perhaps @Boards.ie: Niamh could help with that.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Sorry for the delay on this guys. All profiles will be made public as planned over the coming days, it's something we have to ask vanilla to do so am waiting for them to get to it. I know there were objections to this from a small number of people and we looked into blocking posts from specific forums from being shown on profiles but this is not possible. As Spear pointed out earlier, a lot of Vanilla's features are all or nothing, they do not provide the same granulairty as vBulletin did. The private profiles are really hampering moderators in moderating which is why they have to go. They were never a feture on the old site and they shouldn't have been one here either. I must apologise to mods for having taken so long to get this done.

As far as questions about personal data go, only staff and admins can see any user's email address and IP addresses. We don't hold any other information on you.

Will update here when this has finally been done. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So just to clarify Niamh, all posts made across all forums will be visible on someone's profile?

Including posts made in Personal Issues?

If so, a very visible announcement needs to be added at the top of Personal Issues as people post in that forum under the assumption that people can't trawl through the posts they've made their on their profile.

To add to that, it also means historical posts made in good faith on that forum under the guise of them not appearing on your profile will now do so.

Prioritising moderator abilities over people's privacy on that forum IMO is a big misstep.

Edit - I'd actually add to that and say that if this is genuinely the way it's going to go, all content in Personal Issues should be deleted permanently as it was created with a different understanding to the level of privacy allowed with that forum.

The forum should then be started afresh with a very visible announcement that posts will now appear on your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

100% this. Is it possible for you to delete all posts from private fora from an account? They were made when we were assured that they were not visible on our profiles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Also, is it correct that admins are given access to user data when they are not part of or employed by Boards?

I understand both of your concerns but Personal Issues is not a private forum, it never has been private so it is incorrect to now label it as such. It specifically says on the PI forum charter

"Think carefully about what you're posting, remember it is the interweb after all and you may not be as anonymous as you think."

Nothing about private posts at all, anyone can read the forum whether they are logged in or out.

We will put up a message today to advise that all profiles will be made public and what that means. If anyone is genuinely worried about specific posts they can contact me about them.

Yes Admins have access to user data to facilitate the running of the site. The site Terms of Use explicitly state this

Moderators and Administrators

In order to allow for the proper administration of boards.ie we make use of third party moderators and administrators. And in order for them to properly carry out their functions as moderators and administrators they require access to personal information concerning you, your boards.ie account and your activity on the site. Such data is only permitted to be used by our third party moderators and administrators for the purposes of administering the site and cannot be used by them for any other purpose. If you agree to be a moderator or administrator for boards.ie you agree that any user personal information available to you is to be used solely for the purpose of administering the site and will not be used for any other purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You are being a tad disingenuous with that post Niamh, personal issues has always been private in so far as it's not linked to your profile.

People post there knowing that others can't search through their Personal Issues posts on their profile.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement