Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Young Ones is Forty!

Options
  • 11-11-2022 2:03am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Revolting, obnoxious, crass, crude, vile, ghastly, televisual trash...

...all terms used by the critics when BBC comedy show The Young Ones first aired 40 years (yes, I know, 40 years!) ago on the telly. The viewers ignored the critics and watched it with a passion. As a kid I liked the show but it was a bit too grown up for me the first time round - my two teenage sisters loved it - and then came to adore The Young Ones on its first re-run. 😁👍👍

Four students - thuggish punk Vyvyan, neurotic and outraged Rick, smooth Mike and terminally depressed hippie Neil, live in a squat which they proceed to often wreck with glee and mad antics. There were always some really gross bits and a great band to play on the set.

Anyone else a fan of The Young Ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

VIVIAN! YOU UTTER BASTARD!

Loved the Young Ones. I'm sure a lot of it went over my head, but I remember it for not really caring, crazy antics, an annoying person who constantly gets his comeuppance, trippy scenes, and good tunes. They introduced me to Madness' House of Fun. It was horrible at times, but I liked it. I was born the year after this came out, so it probably shouldn't have been something I was into, but the re-runs must have been happening when I watched it!

Dr. Martin, Dr. Martin, Dr. Martin boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

One of the best comedies ever created. When Neil had 6 arms or was a copper genius stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Loved it, always loved Rick Mayall and Bottom also. Alexi Sale would always randomly pop up I remember, made very little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Still have Neil's version of "Hole in my shoe" in my music playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" is a line that sums up the whole show. Brilliant writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Would have watched it as a tot but nothing would have gone in. Probably just gawked at it.

Now Bottom, that went in, unfortunately. I can still feel its influence.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Young ones was a massive game changer , changed my entire psyche 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

"Does anyone want the last chickpea?"

'Neil, no-one wanted the first chickpea"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

First saw it on UK Gold in the early 90s. It was cut to shreds to fit into their schedule leaving confusing edits like most of Nozin Around was cut but the bit with Ric Kicking in the tv shouting about people in flared trousers was left in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Young Ones and Bottom really were those kinds of shows you'd watch as a kid and felt like you probably shouldn't really be watching them, but loads of the comedy in it could still appeal to kids as it could be quite slapstick. Great stuff.

I'm particularly fond of the Young Ones Video Nasties episode, will have to give it a rewatch this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Young Ones I found a big to self congratulatory almost as if the show was sniggering at itself while giving itself a reach around.

Bottom was just funnier, cleverer… I think it benefited from having less characters and less chaos. But more humour and wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Never understood any of those shows

Just went over my head watching them

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

Iwas 16 when it first aired,absolutely loved it and still do,the bit where they went out to the pub and Rick asks Suggs "can you sing cliff richard summer holiday"Yes you hum it and ill smash your face in"I went too see madness but i could not get that line out of my head.

motorhead just playing the ace of spades right now on 80s music channel.brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Absolutely loved the Young Ones. Bottom as well.

Millennials are now entering their forties too. Time flies.

Loved the University Challenge episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

OH! La-Di-Da, look what I've found in my laundry bag! All of Felicity Kendalls underwear-that needs a good wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Used to watch it with my little sister, who sadly passed away a few years ago. We were literally crying with laughter. Sweet memories, will never forget.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Remember Watching it on the re-runs in the early 90's at a friends house. Whole heap of us in the house with his mum and dad totally not getting why a troop of guys in their early 20's were sitting in their kitchen pi$$ing themselves laughing. Happy memories.

It paved the way for the likes of Blackadder which IMHO , seasons 2-4, are probably some of the best 80s TV you could watch - made a refreshing change from George and Mildred and Terry and June

Call this a holiday 2 weeks in a cellar under a light bulb, loved that line used to say it to my kids back in the 90s ,they thought I was mad until I introduced them to the gang on VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Never liked it , loved “ Bottom “ though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Bottom was basically a Young Ones Mark 2 in terms of the chemistry between Mayall and Edmondson and the often crude but effective gags.

With Bottom, they weren't uni students but two 30 something losers desperately trying to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bar Two actors from one show appeared in the other, I see no similarity

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

9pm, Tuesday nights on BBC2. Like Not The Nine O' Clock News and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy before it in the same slot, we only got to see it because that was the night my mam went to the Ladies' Club.

Every other feckin' night it was the RTE Main Evening News. There was one telly in the house and we only got to watch something if there was nothing on the adults wanted to watch. (A couple of years later we got a B/W portable for my Sinclair Spectrum 16K... watching MT-USA on it in black and white, ahh memories. Then I rigged an extension for the cable TV up to my room, Channel Four need I say more?)

One week my dad wasn't in the pub as usual but we somehow convinced him to let us watch it, Rik Mayall introduced "Mr Mousey" to a cup of tea. Cringe... needless to say he was not impressed.

Then again this was the same man who once spent a rare Saturday night in, Bob Geldof said fûck on the Late Late Show and he was "that's it, I've had enough, I'm off to the pub"... where they no doubt had the Late Late Show on 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does anyone remember Filthy Rich and Catflap with the Young Ones crew? Wasn't bad but only lasted something like six episodes and (afaik) has never been repeated.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

Crop rotation in the 14th century was considerably more widespread after...God I know this...

Advertisement