Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono - Stories of Surrender - Olympia, 21st November

Options
  • 06-10-2022 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

'An evening of words, music and some mischief…'. 

Live Nation and Penguin Random House have announced a 14-date city book tour in support of SURRENDER: 40 Songs, One Story, the forthcoming memoir by Bono.

The book tour, titled 'Stories of Surrender' and produced by Live Nation, is a limited run of theatre dates to mark the release of a memoir in which one of the world's most iconic artists writes for the first time about his remarkable life and those he has shared it with. Bono will bring the stories of his life to life — live and in person— to 14 cities across North America and Europe.

Stopping off in the Olympia Theatre on Monday, November 21st. Tickets from €61.20 to €102 (not incl booking fee)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Had a fanclub pre sale code and a Three presale code but neither worked. Fairly gutted...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I had the same experience in the U2 Fan Club pre-sale. Nightmare!

Hopefully we will have better luck in the general sale tomorrow!

The Olympia is a small intimate venue for this, would have been easier in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre. I'm sure there are lot of seats held back for guest lists and VIPS etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I secured a ticket this morning. However It amazes me that this is on in the Olympia, yet Joanne McNally & Vogue Williams are doing 2 nights in the 3arena?!?!

I'll be glad it's in the Olympia if I can get a flippin ticket! 🤣

Do you mind if I ask what section you managed to get a ticket for? Fair play! They were like hens teeth, even on the U2. Com presale!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭J-C

Nothing available on general sale this morning as expected. Anyone have any luck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

It's not for us fans, it's for VIPs and RTE employees

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭fillup

Not a sausage....

Will say one thing...

For a guy that is supposed to be hated by the country, a lot of people sure want to see him...

No luck. Tried Manchester too and same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Re: Do you mind if I ask what section you managed to get a ticket for? Fair play! They were like hens teeth, even on the U2. Com presale!

I got back row in the Circle (Lower Balcony) in the 3 presale. Given the demand, I was happy to get in anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

I managed to get 2 from the U2.com Presale, but saw loads that didnt. This morning, in the blink of an eye, TM said they were none available.

I get why its the small venue, would something like this work in the 3arena? Not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭recyclops

If you really wanna go Glasgow is still available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

When you consider the capacity of the venues in Manchester (2,693), Glasgow (3,000, a great auditorium) and London (2,286), the Bord Gáis was the obvious choice for Dublin.

The Olympia seats a paltry 1,247, hundreds of which will have probably been allocated for guests.

The Bord Gáis is free on the 21st and has 2,111 seats. It would have been a much better venue, similar in scale to those venues in the UK.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Fanirish

whilst no show is on in bord Gais that night beauty and beast starts two days after. Setting up stages and doing stage rehearsals that Day would mean no one can use it. Thus bord Gais isn’t available.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭J-C

Out of curiosity where did you get the venues capacity info?

Their respective websites list their capacities for seating and (where applicable for other shows) standing options.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

I had noticed that, but I still think it's totally feasible. 48 hours is enough to turn around a venue, even for a stage musical. There are a few examples of this in the Bord Gáis' upcoming schedule, when one show's run ends and another begins with a two day, or - in some cases - only a one day gap. And I'd imagine that Bono's production wouldn't need much time for a load-out.

He should tell his story in Finnegans, 4 pints deep. Like the rest of us 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If there's anything spicy in the book it'll be in the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'I don't care for any of the band members'

Yep nothing like that will come from the book

Yeah, considering they're all very close, I highly doubt that will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Nothing at 10am, got tickets to Glasgow though, 120 pound each. Excuse for a few days away at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I got 2 in Stalls Row B in the 3presale but I will wait to see what the reviews are like before committing .

Im not paying 110 euro to listen to Bono reading excerpts from his book.

He is only charging 30 euro for a talk in Cheltenham the previous week.

Please keep me in mind if you are offloading these Zardoz. I had ZERO luck in the U2 and 3 pre-sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wouldn't be surprised if Tubridy has him on the Late Late Show to talk about the book.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

If this is a taster of what's coming up in the Olympia then I'm starting to become grateful I didn't get tickets. He can talk some amount of nonsense at times.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/1017/1329761-bono-calls-on-the-uk-to-lead-the-world-again/

Unlikely...

As much as I love U2, I know how songs and lyrics have come together and the stories behind them so...Anything new that I'd hear would be about his personal life and I'm not comfortable hearing about one's personal life, especially a member of U2 as they have always kept theirs private and rightfully so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Zardoz

That was Cheltenham Literary week, it was a one hour interview, tickets were only £30 and included the book.

I'm awaiting the reviews of the first few official tour shows to see what the format is like , if its him pontificating I wont go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

2 copies of the book were delivered by An Post this morning (from Easons), one for each ticket I purchased.

Advertisement