Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I would totally disagree with both opinions. Smokers in open public areas stink up the place with their second hand smoke and create litter with their filthy butts. Also, surely the billions of tobacco products consumed daily worldwide must be having a detrimental effect on the environment with the amount of carbon emissions. If I were a dictator I would try and eradicate the tobacco plant from the planet if I could.

Also, people who have affairs with married people, especially when there's kids involved are pretty selfish in my opinion. I couldn't live with myself if I knew that I tore a family apart by having an affair with someone who was married with kids. I have even worse disdain for people who walk out on their kids to shack up with their lovers and mistresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Only people with a house that they can leave to their one child should be allowed to breed off spring, anyone else is merely breeding slaves for capitaliism and breeding a human into forced slavery is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Women are more suited to care work and care of the family in the home, thousands of years of this can't be turned on its heads in a couple of decades, men and women should understand the roles that are suited to their gender and live with it, women being home makers and men bringing home the bacon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Landlords are grubby little economic parasites. Nobody should own more than one property.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You would feel bad for any kids caught up,but ultimately noone is irresistible,and anyone single deosnt owe anyone anything....

the entirety of the fault should lie with the married person.....people getting piled on for cheating on noone (as their single), are hard done by society imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

"Landlords are parasites" is possibly the least controversial opinion in Ireland currently but who would own rental properties then? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You should be allowed to slap children again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Individuals.

I live in the UK. At the very least, they should every one of them be register, regulated and heavily taxed. We do it for smoking, I see no reason why landlords and second homeowners should get an easy ride.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id settle for revamping the curriculum so its more similar to the way french etc, are thought - i.e much more practical understanding of the language rather than poetry/literature. make that side of it a separate subject if needed or limit it to gaelscoileanna even

It's too late for that. The unions would be up in arms and the entirety of the teaching population would need to be retrained. Make it optional from the get go and set aside grants for innovative projects to voluntarily produce engaging content in the language. It's that or it continues to languish. We've had over a century to restore it and failed dismally, particularly when compared with the Welsh.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Jaysus nothing here is controversial

How about there should be sterilisation rules for people who create baby after baby and have contributed nothing to the tax basis

Now that is controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That we're in the dying throes of the Age of Humanity and it's unlikely there'll be many of us left in another 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I believe there should be 100% inheritance tax between generations.

Once you're finished with it it all goes back into the societal pot for the next round of people.

The taxes can be used to fund really life-changing, free social services and education for all.

Then we'd all be starting off equal - true equality of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭pgj2015

People who are big into conspiracy theories and hate and blame the Governmeent for everything are just unemployed losers who have nothing going for them and have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The west is close to 100% done. Too many years of spoilt priviliged brats pontificating their woke ideology amongst other things & then many others who've been enabled by the welfare state is contributing to a general decline in the quality of life in the west in many ways. Young indian & chinese people are alot more hardworking & innovative. Only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Individuals? What do you mean by that? That everyone should own their own home?

Or that landlords should be individuals rather than institutional?

As for the second part of your message, individual landlords here in theory are registered, regulated and heavily taxed already. REITs probably only 2 out of 3!

There is one special ethnic group in Ireland where I'd like to see all sterilised and let the breed die out altogether like a bad dog breed but you can't really say that on boards now can you

Yoga is steeped in colonialism, cultural appropriation, and the exploitation of the genuine spiritualism of people of colour. Everyone doing Yoga should be made apologize for their selfishness and forced to take up running instead.

I just think that homes should be affordable and individuals owning several is perverse. If there was no housing crisis, that'd be fine but there is. I see no reason why there shouldn't be basic, affordable rental units provided by the state for people with reasonable rents instead of people in their thirties and forties sending up to half their salaries to someone who doesn't lift a finger.

I'm not pretending to have a document hundreds of pages long with answers but either a current mainstream parties fixes this or people will vote for the first crank that pretends they have a magic solution.

Regarding the last portion of your post, I think the words "in theory" are the key there. They certainly apply here in London.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

People spouting US culture war tropes or bigotry online should be fined €5 per post/300 words, whichever is shorter.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Controversial opinion

The medical and pharmaceutical industry’s have absolutely no interest in making people healthier and there product’s are causing unintended consequences that they no about but can never let it be public knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A parasite is a pimp, a landlord earned money to provide someone with a place to live. They are the same as a hotel owner, pub owner etc People who hate them are just jealous they don't own a few properties.

Any politian/political party advertising itself as business friendly,

should not be trusted.... businesses do not vote

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RossGeller

What about inheritance from a relative who isn't a parent

If your uncle leaves you around 750k, how much would you pay on that?

Landlords provide housing the same way scalpers provide tickets. They're parasites.

H. H. Asquith

Landlords provide a service. Scalpers provide a service. Hookers provide a service. However I'm unclear as to what service parasites provide, so perhaps you could elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Cut all aid to the third world, monetary, medicinal, educational. Give them zero.

Refuse to accept “asylum” seekers from the third world or other war torn areas.

Let nature return it to a sustainable population.

World Wars 1 and 2 did more to save the planet by taking out millions of humans than Eamon Ryan ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

The Europeon Union should keep it's nose out of the Ukraine and Russian war. Neither country are in the EU or NATO. Let them fight away. None of our business.

Covid19 is and will be the biggest con of the century. Totally overblown.

Gender quotas is ruining politics. Our worst politicians are female.

Close our borders to all unless they have a job secured and a minimum of €25k in their bank account to support themselves.

Advertisement