Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Quality of life here. How is yours?

  • 22-10-2022 11:27pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭


    So it seems everyone is really busy here. No time / always occupied, work, errands, traffic etc It wasn’t always like this here and people seemed to have more time and time for each other, but now everyone seems stretched. Is our quality of life disimproving - thoughts?



«1

Comments

  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Your health care/mental health could do with a rehaul. As your justice system.And the hurry up and wait system might need a look at.



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles


    Yea I'm definitely fairly prudent with my finances with little debt. yet i seem to have less spending power year on year and it's a worrying trend to be honest.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭maninasia


    As somebody who returned from a well functioning state with pre 'market competition' ideas I can see a stark difference in some parts of my quality of living.

    Healthcare access and expense probably 5x worse

    Electricity and fuel costs 3x where I was.

    Insurance 5x

    Eating out 2x

    Renting 3x

    Schooling access getting very difficult in many areas due to large population increase but lack of investment .

    Pay lower than what I was getting overseas and much higher taxes.

    Yeah I am feeling the stress lol.

    Only thing significantly cheaper are good prices in the supermarkets (milk and eggs and cheese half price) along with excellent quality locally produced food.


    Along with the above poster, I noticed very early the weird scam of pretend competition in the phone, broadband , energy and insurance markets. You have to spend hours and hours wasting time and comparing and switching just to save a few pennies in an already crazily inflated market and then repeat every year. None of this new fangled market seems to have reduced prices in the slightest! It just gives the illusion of competition.


    Quality of life things that have improved in Ireland would be nicer towns, cleaner air, Dublin bus, better range of food in supermarkets, better internet (but still poor mobile internet) pedestrianisation and much better roads than years ago . For me I'm working as hard as I ever have, that hasn't changed.

    I noticed my friends with steady jobs and houses seem happy enough with their settled lives in the suburbs , those trying to purchase a house definitely more stressed , obviously.


    The older in laws on pensions I could see their worry level ratchet up hugely regarding heating and energy costs. They haven't adjusted their lifestyle massively yet but I could see it happening. They enjoy their lives the most still with loads of free time and plenty of hobbies.



  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Cushtie


    I find the here and now not too bad, am OK debt wise, manage to put food on the table and pay the bills without too much stress.

    It's the future I stress over, started saving for pension late so have alot of ground to make up. College funds etc, have special needs kid who will require 24/7 care as an adult when we are gone.



  • Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge


    Happy days compared to a few decades back or what my parents had to endure. Comfortable living, enough free time, family time not a problem, ample food available, an active social life. All in all quality of life is just where I'd want it to be.

    If chasing up temporary savings on phones or broadband is a measure of quality of life, people need to look at what they value in life.



  • Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge


    The question was asked and answered. So it doesn't suit your view: Tough.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭amacca


    Fantastic post couldn't agree more with all of it


    The **** time consuming researching of avoiding being done by all and sundry ...in the name of competition really struck a chord


    I kept a record of time spent on researching switching last year and it was basically a couple of holidays worth of man hours....I also help my parents out as they wouldn't be too tech savvy


    If I don't do it it's Thousands down the drain.....we have been sold a pup in the name of competition....I'm more tied down with fuckology than I ever was......its such a waste of a chunk of your life that's been forced upon rational people....


    It enrages me at times....its like a subtle form of slavery



    And then **** vodafone contrive to make sure you don't have access to your online portal at contract renewal time....



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭Furze99


    Reasonable to good. But as a question, apart from the answers being individual, it's also dependent on what stage you're at in life.



  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    For some people looking for deals on phones and the like are necessary.



  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad


    Quality of life depends on your income, where you live, are you in a good relationship, can you pay your bills without getting stressed ,are you in debt, is your health good, do you live in a nice quiet area, do you find your job boring or routine ,eg people are getting stressed as things like energy, gas, rise in price ,they have to cut back on things they pay for granting like paying a subscription for netflix or broadband ,do you have a good social life . no one is perfect , I know people who like to rip other people off or borrow money and not pay it back, even its a trivial amount like 20 euros.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,309 ✭✭✭✭murpho999


    Most people here seem to equate quality of life here to finances but that's not the only relevant measure.



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭StrawbsM


    I don’t feel I have a good quality of life. I always said it wasn’t my kids leaving home when they were old enough, but me! I always wanted to travel the world. That didn’t happen.

    I went straight from looking after my children to looking after, first one, then two parents who require constant supervision. If I go anywhere, they are all I am asked about. There is nothing of me in my life anymore and there’s no end in sight. Myself and my husband can’t just book time off and go anywhere. He can but I have to seek permission from strangers first.

    I just know that when my role is eventually over I will get sick myself. I hate 80% of my life and don’t get the chance to enjoy the other 20%.



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭notAMember


    My QOL is pretty good here, comfortable house, enough job opportunity, enough income, schools / education are good. Food supply is good quality. Healthcare is good. Loads of leisure activities available with sports, music, pubs. Security is ok, no invading state, but street crime is a nuisance.

    It could be better.

    • I still need to maintain a car, even though I live in a city because public transport is not well developed. Civic facilities are not plentiful or accessible by public transport. (Parks, playgrounds, forests, lakes, beaches etc)
    • Air quality and pollution is bad. That's again part of the lack of clean public transport, but also attitudes to burning turf / wood, littering is a problem.
    • Highly regulated Nanny state. It's very difficult to redevelop housing or commercial property for example, a lot of red tape and barriers. Smaller irritations like inability to buy a bottle of red wine to make a stew in my morning shopping, can't buy a packet of ibuprofen or paracetamol without a cross examination. And in parallel, the expectation of some of our citizens that Mammy Govt will provide all their worldly needs and desires.




  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭corner of hells


    Have you considered looking to become a power of attorney, there is some criteria but there is the option of a general power of attorney allowing you provide a wide range of support for your relatives.

    I know from supporting vulnerable individuals in through my employment, most banks/institutions operate a vulnerable customer policy .

    On a personal level , if you can manage it , don't shoulder every responsibility yourself.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich


    goverment should be doing more



Advertisement