Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember when the Irish media wanted to ban Red Bull ?

Options
  • 20-09-2022 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

In the early 00s, there was massive hysteria in the Irish media about Red Bull killing people, the reason I drank my first can of red bull in 2002 was because I heard an episode of Joe Duffy trying to ban it https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10099060.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Irish Media wanted to ban Red Bull? I call bull on the title of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Fair play.

It's the reason I insist on smoking in every pub I go into, and I still use leaded petrol in my car.

I am struggling to get smokey coal, so they may have got me on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I remember that, back in the day I'd have a red bull and double volka lol

Gave up the hooch in 2003 aftershocks did it for me, lost a friend after a binge on aftershocks. We just kept drinking them until we couldn't drink no more. He walked out in front of a car on the way home.

Now and again I still get a can of red bull if I'm going on a long drive in the evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I prefer to cut up tyres into small pieces and feed them into the fire myself. Gives it an 80's feel to it. And of course a bit of Huey Lewis and the news in the background and cigarettes smoking in the background. Top up the carpets with stale beer...oh I how I miss the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Red Bull and Monster, are a popular choice for breakfast nowadays, recently seen a lady in her sixties having 2 boiled eggs and a can of Red Bull for brekkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There is such misinformation spread about red bull. A can has the same caffeine in it as one coffee. ONE coffee. Lots of people drink multiple espressos all over the world every morning of their life, and it's fine of course. It's ridiculous, you'd think there was the caffeine of 100 coffees in a can the way some blow on about how 'unhealthy' they are

Jagerbombs put me off the stuff before I'd ever even tasted it on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness it's more the sugar I'd be concerned about. But there's too much sugar in tonnes of stuff we eat and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Nanny state personified.

It is also an intrinsic Irish trait to mistrust anything new or different.

They would ban summer if they thought they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm sure the incredibly smart lads at Red Bull were pushing the hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I can hook you up with some real coal, but don't tell anyone 🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I remember the father asking me what I wanted to drink in a pub around the time, I was 15 I'd say, red bull new in pubs. Served in a brown glass bottle. He nearly hit the floor with the price of it, was near a pint price rather tham a coke price. He didn't buy me many after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What nanny state? It was a media report concentrating on action taken elsewhere. It didn't call for a ban and the state didn't enact any ban.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah I remember some sort of hysteria about it too, that it would make your heart go mad and some other crap. Only started drinking it once I was abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Heard somebody on about energy drinks and kids the other day on the radio. Apparently they were jumping out of their skin in the classroom or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All those disgusting high sugar, super high caffeine drinks should be banned anyway, everything about them is negative and it seems to be teenagers that mostly buy them.

The likes of Red Bull and Monster have over 300% more caffeine than a 500ml Coke and some others have 600% more! There's absolutely no justification for their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Remember headshops and that time we legalised all drugs for a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I remember the Red Bull craze but I didn't know they tried to get the drink banned. I mainly just remember the funny ads that used to play on TV. Red Bull gives you Wiiings!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes the ads were good. The reason you don't know they tried to ban it is because they didn't try to ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can Jolt Cola still be got anywhere? Was a great 'cure' back in the day.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Thought you'd be all in favour of the latter, those short summer nights must be a bítch.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I seem to remember a teenager died playing basketball after they had a Redbull, think that was what all the fuss was about. Not sure if they were ever able to prove that it was the cause of death.

edit: found it

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/jury-calls-for-research-into-stimulant-drinks-1.1115757

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

"It's a disk-race Joe, I drink fifty-squillion pints every weekend, but that Red Bull stuff is killing are kids"

"Shure caller, shure shure, good man"

Don't ever expect cannabis to be legalised in this country. Ever.

@dramatik Same as when mushrooms were banned, all they need is media hysteria not evidence.

Fun fact: if you're sitting outside a pub having a pint and some stone cold sober eejit crashes their car into you, that goes into the stats as an "alcohol related accident" 🙄

Booze burkas, late opening, early closing, MUP - what next, rationing? They might as well make any form of enjoyment illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They had highly processed foods in their sights but doesn’t look like that’s going to go through just yet.

Good way of getting the lower classes to pay a little more.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I like some of the Monster drinks, for the slightly unusual taste rather than any buzz they might (or might not) give, whether that would come from caffeine, sugar, ginseng or taurine. And you'll never hear me say "I'm useless before my first Monster for the day!".

I know they're not healthy for you but I remember a colleague sent me a scaremongering article about them which stated (if you did the calculations) that you'd need to drink 23 litres of water to rehydrate fully after drinking one can of Monster. 🙄 And this colleague of mine had training in diet and nutrition!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Do Monster and all those energy drinks actually work ?

I would have a few cans a week (about 5 a week 1 daily) but I don't seem to get much of a 'lift' from them.

Is a mental thing that is tricking your mind into thinking 'it's giving you added energy' and all that shite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Trying everything Joe Duffy talks about might not be a good way of making life decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why would you have a few cans a week if it doesn't do what its supposed to do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement