Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sekiro

From the guard's perspective they are trying to build up a narrative of the events of that night. The sighting at Kealfadda Bridge is key to the prosecution's case and so they can't really float the idea of him driving there without losing a key component of their case. The story has to be that he walked over there or the case against him starts to fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elacsap

Fair enuff, Sekiro

but......it really makes no sense for Bailey to

• have walked to Sophie's house
    • walked home via Kealfadda Bridge
    • not hidden when he heard a car approaching - [didn't the esteemed witness not go even further and say the mystery man was waiving his hands around like a demon, i.e. drawing attention to himself instead of hiding].

Also, if this is the guards' position (which apparently it is), could they not have compelled Farrell to advise the name of her late-night lover/non-lover?

Also, also - what time was this meant to be at (according to the cops) coz wasn't Farrell heading to Cork City that morning at the crack of dawn. Did she ever sleep?

If this is the best the cops could come up with, is it any wonder that the DPP said that this is "insufficient" evidence to bring to trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I’d go so far as to say Marie was home in her bed all that night.

Maybe their van was out and about, up to no good, and an excuse was needed in case it was seen?

Maybe there was a dogging area around there, you’d never know .

LOL

In fairness to ya.......it's significantly more plausible than the official line

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

That always struck me as odd...

Maria Farrell was ringing up under an assumed name, and wouldn't leave her details (always ringing from a phone box before she lost the run of herself).

Why did she do that?

She was either an attention seeker, ambulance chaser, utter nut case.... Or, she was fearful that either herself or her car had been seen in the area? Which begs the question - What was she actually doing so near the murder scene at such a time in the morning??

If she was indeed having her knee's tickled by a married man from Longford (or wherever), what's the big deal about it? The Guards will have dealt with many similar shenanigans before... Might as well just name him, the Guards meet him in private somewhere, get his side of the story and move on...

The fact that she never named him is bizarre in itself.. The only other apparent witness to verify Maria's story.... And nothing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The question would be at what point Marie Farrell came to the attention of the Guards that they decided to user her for their purposes? It could hardly have been when the phone calls happened? I suppose that came up during the investigation and when they began to have their eyes on Bailey.

I think this only shows the ill-experienced Guards and their way of thinking. The thing is it proves nothing in relation to the murder even if Bailey admitted he'd been at Kaelfadda Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Do they have a case? No one believes Marie Farrell anymore due to the changing stories and fact she’d never name the man she was supposedly with. If they do they are deluded.

I think it was Bailey, but probably morning, it doesn’t make sense it happened at night as several posters have pointed out on this thread. Wasn’t a car seen speeding away from the scene, I’m sure I read that somewhere. Could that have been his or Jules?

im not sure it will ever be solved either but I have heard from a family member down there that they have new leads and it looks promising, who knows though…

just hope Sophie’s parents have some peace about it all before they die.

You asked why the guards are sticking to the story that he walked there. I speculated about that.

I don't know the answer to your other questions.

The guard/prosecution story, I believe that this was also the French prosecution's narrative, is that IB walked over there and then down to the bridge. So they are never going to introduce the idea that IB could have driven over there as destroys their narrative and removes a key witness.

That's why this case has podcasts and books and documentaries being made about it. The case against IB has a lot of holes and makes no sense and as a result nobody really knows what happened and there is so much scope for speculation.

Like I said previously, fair enuff, Sekiro! I'm not at all disagreeing with you! Apologies if it sounded like I was.

My point is that the guards' case in relation to Bailey's walking tour and frenetic waiving of hands for passing cars to see really makes no sense - even before Farrell went rogue on them.

Presumably, no one here disagrees with this? We are all just debating the case but I'd be really interested to hear from someone who thinks that this narrative from the guards' is plausible. In explaining their views, ideally the questions posed previously should be addressed.

Just to add, before Farrell went rogue on the guards, their case made no sense to me at all. Given what Farrell now "claims", the guards narrative makes no sense at all at all. Does anyone know for sure whether this is the narrative that was presented at the trial in Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Ah.... You are looking for somebody to join up all the dots?

Hang on to you're britches, Tibruit will be along shortly.... Everything will become clearer..

• Advertisement

I think that the guard's narrative is not the truth. I'm not sure that anyone really does believe it.

Not 100% clear on the French prosecution's narrative but they have basically taken the "we can only accept your first answer" approach with Farrell.

It's basically a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

A car wasn`t seen speeding away from the scene.

The walking tour makes sense. He was a well known night time walker. Sometimes with his big coat and rhythm stick, he was even once seen out and about in nothing but jocks and a cowboy hat which sort of gets to the kernel of his madness. West Cork Podcast make a vague reference to the stick going missing around the time of the murder.

But I agree with you on the frenetic hands. It is a bit of a red flag on the Farrell sighting. I live in a rural location. You could walk for miles and not encounter a car at 3 AM. On a still night you would have plenty of notice that a car was coming. If you had just killed someone, you would surely be anxious to get off the road, to the point where you would go through briars or bushes to hide yourself. You would have time, but in a worst case scenario you would turn your back to any approaching car.

If you take Marie`s story literally, what do you have? She saw a man walking near Kealfada Bridge in direction of Goleen. She now says this man was not Ian Bailey. She has never said that Gardaí influenced her to invent this story. If they had and they wanted to implicate Bailey, they wouldn`t have had the man walking towards Goleen. She saw no blood on him. In fact there is nothing really to connect him to the murder other than this man who was not Bailey, was walking along a road nearly two miles away from the scene of the murder. If you turn around and go back up the road a couple of miles past Sophie`s laneway, at approximately the same time, there was another man out and about. By his own admission that man was Ian Bailey.

Marie Farrell claims to have seen a man that night. To day we don't know if that's the truth or a lie or if she was coerced by the Guards to state that lie.

Regardless if Bailey was walking there or not, it doesn't prove murder. Any of us could have been out that night, walking by ourselves, and none of us would have been murderers, regardless of what happened at Sophie's house.

Hi tibruit,

Fair play, you feel the walking tour makes sense. I don't so let's debate this.

The walking tour suggests that:

1. Bailey walked to Sophie's house in the middle of, admittedly a moonlit, night - a distance of 4.1km
    2. When he got back to the Kealfadda Road from Sophie's house, instead of walking home directly (3.1km), he went to Kealfadda Bridge, a distance of 1.8km
    3. He then walked home - presumably by not retracing his steps but via R591, a distance of 4.6km

I find the Kealfadda detour non-plausible. I think Bailey is weird but I don't think he's stupid - if he wanted to wash/clean himself up, there was a far better option at Dunmanus Pier. In essence, 1.8 + 4.6 = 6.4km or twice the distance that he needed to take. Possible yes; probable I just don't think so.

I’m sure I read that somewhere however not every source is reputable and I cannot remember where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

There was a car seen in the morning, a ford fiesta, typical of the ones that the gards would have used at the time even for non duty purposes, going in the opposite direction of Baileys residence.

"She saw no blood on him."

She must must have had UV headlights.

That’s what I read or something like it, didn’t Jules drive a fiesta too?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Is the insinuation that it was a policeman that killed Sophie? A policeman, a French hitman, a horse, Alfie, Leo Bolger, the Hellens, Michael Oliver, Christopher Doe Thomas, Wolney… Maybe it was the turkey that scratched Bailey that did it…

• Advertisement

All of the above, plus a kick from a donkey are as likely as Bailey.

I think this has largely to do with Marie Farrell. If say, Marie Farrell had driven with this man ( old friend, or casual lover? ) through Dunmanus, she would have seen Bailey there.

But as she said, she drove through Kaelfadda Bridge, she saw him there.

In reality she wasn't at either places, and most likely didn't see anybody at all that night, - other than a good friend or a casual lover....

That ford fiesta was often linked to this Guard from Bantry. However this was never really investigated, nor was it investigated who else owned a fiesta on that peninsula. It would certainly have narrowed possibilities and be the cause of probable further investigations.

Sadly the Guards never followed up on this, and they surely had a reason for that, most likely protecting their own corrupt elements.....

Fair enough. Let`s just say no blood on his hands then. He was waving them about.

That`s your most ridiculous contribution so far.

Maybe you can tell us where exactly the car, that was not confirmed to be a Fiesta, was actually seen.

"I find the Kealfada detour non-plausible"

Attempting to apply plausible behavior to an individual who goes out at night in nothing but an underpants and a cowboy hat is where your difficulties begin. Anyway, I think on balance, Marie wasn`t out at all that night. She got giddy because she saw an individual who could be the killer and came up with Fiona to invent the Kealfada story, stupidly thinking Fiona would never be identified. At the same time however, she was making her first two sightings far more important and pushing herself to center stage in the investigation.

So, in summary - no one here believes the central guarda line that he was seen at Kealfadda Bridge on his way home. That's pretty damming on the cops.

As a by the by, many here will have heard the report during the week about the gardai's failure to act on all 999 calls. Prior to the publication of this report, instead of apologising for any shortcomings in their service delivery, the guards maintained that nobody had come to harm as a result of their inaction. The report found that the guards couldn't possibly know whether all the neglected callers had come to harm or not. After all the scandals with the guards, it seems to me that the cops here have learned very little and can continue to behave incompetently and then follow on with stupidity.

The relevance of this is that Bailey could well be the murderer but the guards incompetence and stupidity in purporting the Kealfadda Bridge line means that their credibility is hugely damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Xander10

On that point, is it not the case that the civil servants in the 999 call centre acted incompetently? And not actually the Gardai

Hi Xander,

My understanding is that the call centres are operated by both guards and civilians.

My understanding also is that the report did not distinguish between the relative professionalism of the two cohorts. Admittedly, I haven't read the report itself.

My simple points are that the 999 garda service is a key cog in the garda response and it is the responsibility of the gardai to ensure its effective operation. In simple terms, some (but not all) of the work here may have been performed by civilians but the responsibility rests with the guards. When shortcomings in this service are observed, the gardai should really not compound these failures by making stupid claims - the veracity of which they simply couldn't possibly know.

• Advertisement

You're probably right there, but no worse than Robini's contribution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement