Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of James Bond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tom Holland?

Who's backing Tom Holland for James Bond?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The MCU would probably have words. He's a bit baby faced; I recently watched him play tortured & dark in "The Devil All The Time". His performance was good, but like Leo DiCaprio I think he'll be an actor better served once he sheds that infantile face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Was James Bond not killed in the last movie. There could be another 007 agent but why would he be called James Bond?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I thought Craig did a super job as Bond and think the more serious side works better than the jokey side. The only downside was I never could see Crag's attempts at chemistry with female co-stars. Some seem to get it, but I thought it looked all wooden. He certainly got the action-man part right. I suspect we will see a complete relaunch of the Bond movies next. Back to square 1 as it might be said. Probably with a young actor who can stay on and turn out 6 to 7 films.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think Jack Lowden would be a good fit. Good age for them to do quite a few films and he is cracking actor who is getting better. Slow horses was a good showcase for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"James Bond will return"

it remains to be seen how they write themselves out of the corner they've painted themselves into, but the movie series is called "James Bond", they're not going to pull a Taggart.

Just me who thinks Aaron Taylor-Johnson would be a good shout?

Not everyone's cup of tea but is pretty enough, has the right look and showed he could really act in Nocturnal Animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah it’s not something to be over thought. That Bond is dead long live Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Every single James Bond film, apart from the Daniel Craig era, has been a reboot essentially. There's little to no continuation from film to film, no matter who was playing Bond before. So the next one will just be situation normal and introduce a new actor in the role and the cycle will begin again.

Only Craig's Bond approached anything like a series of connected story, for better or for worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Anson Mount would make a great bond but he is too busy with Star Trek at the moment so maybe Jason Isaacs. He would do a good job too and he might be more availible. If they were to go the female route how about Michelle Yeoh?

I think she would do a great job.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

She's several years older than Daniel Craig. Never mind the 'female route'.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I could see them going with someone like Henry Golding

It simply has to be Eliot page

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Give it to Mark Strong. Everybody is falling over themselves to give it to somebody "different" from the mannequin's of the past. What better way to break the mould than give it to a bald man. Bald lives matter too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's going to be someone in their early-to-mid-thirties. They'll need someone who can play the character for 4-5 movies, so that rules out the commonly-named contenders (Idris Elba, Tom Hardy).

I think it'll also be someone who is somewhat known but not necessarily super famous, e.g. I think Henry Cavill's age and the fact he is Superman rules him out.

Weirdly enough, I think the BBC show The Capture has given us two potential Bonds: Callum Turner and Paapa Essiedu. I also think Nicholas Hoult would have a good chance since he made it to the final two of The Batman's casting and the final three for Goose in Top Gun Maverick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

On a side note, Judi Dench recently said she liked Pierce Brosnan better than Daniel during her time as M. The above poster mentioned Nick Hoult, I would agree with that choice myself.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Assuming they want someone early 30s I’d say Hoult would be a good shout, not too high profile but has enough behind him. If they were looking to do 3/4 movies over 12/13 years he’d still be mid 40s finishing up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,963 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, right now my picks would be Hoult, Hiddleston (maybe a hair old at 41, but still just about viable) or as an interesting outside option, Riz Ahmed. He's a shorty, but he's still taller than Tom Cruise - screen presence counts for a lot, and Riz has plenty of that! Some crafty camera angles and blocking and I don't think his height would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

absolutely not, he's way too short and not enough screen presence for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He's the same heights as Tom Cruise. Certainly didn't stop Cruise.

But he is too baby-faced for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Cruise has screen presence, Tom Holland definitely does not. He's a boy and great as Spider-man but definitely not bond. Bond is a man.

I wouldn't cast Tom Cruise as Bond either btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Michael Fassbender or Jamie Dorman, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The problem with a Bond in his 20s is that Craig hit a lot of the marks of a modern young Bond anyway. Kingsman basically did it as well.

They have 2 choices; gender bend or do a seasoned Bond in a different era akin to the Mission Impossible type films. The latter is much more appealing. Henry Cavill would tick every box and would larkin back to what the old films were about while appealing to all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bond producer Michael G Wilson has confirmed we definitely won't see a Bond in his 20s or younger with whatever reboot they have planned; so presumably unless the given actor looks older than that, they'll cast a 30-something.

However, he did reveal that younger actors are out of the running. ”We’ve tried looking at younger people in the past. But trying to visualize it doesn’t work. Remember, Bond’s already a veteran. He’s had some experience. He’s a person who has been through the wars, so to speak. He’s probably been in the SAS or something. He isn’t some kid out of high school that you can bring in and start off. That’s why it works for a thirty-something.”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone else been watching the new series of The Crown? Timothy Dalton plays Group Captain Peter Townsend in it and seeing him in officer's uniform has me wishing I had Wilson or Brocolli's ear to pitch the idea of bringing him back for the next Bond movie...

Logan showed how well the aged hero trope can work and there's so much opportunity for Dalton's Bond to be brought into the modern day: his role in assisting Russian officers to "defect" during the cold war or enlisting the help of the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan in The Living Daylights could both provide great jumping off points for his being dragged out of retirement for "one last job". The screenplay practically writes itself!

In many ways the character is a relic of the cold war so why not lean into that and let Bond be the septuagenarian who has to rely on his wits, spycraft and marksmanship rather than his ability to brawl?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Now that's something I didn't think I needed to see !!

At 76 years old though he's probably a bit too old lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Timothy Dalton has aged quite well I must say. Loved him in Penny Dreadful.

Always had a soft spot for his Bond movies.

Advertisement