Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ah your right. When I first looked I thought it was the icon on the local parking machines to tap your bank card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Probably the most interesting part of this is the complete lack of planning permission required, that's going to make it hard for us to spy on where they are going to install these stations 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Does that mean that 12 cars can charge at once or 8?

Either way, if it is only 8 at a time (can't believe I said only 8 at a time talking about an Irish charging location 😁), it's instantly the best non-Tedla site in the country.

It'll even keep the Chademo/no-Chademo argument quiet with the ratio of plugs (plenty of Chademo with twice as much CCS).

How could something like this be allowed to happen? 😁

Yeah they sort of sprung up out of nowhere

Fair play to Applegreen, they seem to be trying to get ahead of the competition and they'll probably do well out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

That car park is usually jammed at lunch in particular. I hope that the chargers aren't Ice'd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You would imagine it’s the 12 (8 CCS & 4 CHAdeMO) simultaneously…..

I mean it’s not eCars, so you’d imagine there’d be some degree of competency involved in the arrangement of this site!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Blooming hell. The one good non tesla or ionity site in the country and it's right beside the dublin south supercharger so I'll never have cause to use it!

Not sure I agree with the putting Tesla and Ionity to shame sentiments, it's only 8 stalls. But still the best non tesla or Ionity setup. If they put these in at motorway services and that's their reason for blocking other installs then I'm kinda ok with that. Assuming its not €1/kWh .

6 units but if they are all able to support simuntanous charging then you'd have to call it a 12 berth site.. So it instantly becomes the biggest hub in the country, and matches Tesla's best effort with 8x CCS plugs plus an additional 4 CHAdeMO on top of that!!

And if they price it better or even similar to Tesla, I would rather go there than into Sandyford (which is a ball ache)

A member of staff, with a clamp(s) (with a €100 release fee), keeping an eye on those spots for the first 2-3 months should take care of that problem.

(I know clamping a car in an EV charging space is counter productive, but I feel it's the only way the non EV community will learn that EV spaces are not game ball anymore while they run in for their coffee and breakfast roll)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to Plugshare one unit is a dual CCS and 4 of the units are CCS/Chademo

All the units look the same from the photos I've seen so if the Dual CCS unit can charge 2 cars simultaneously (and not being able to would be questionable) the others should be able to also

Meaning, if I'm correct, 12 cars at a time

Thinking about the ESB units at J14 and J18. J18 has a 100kW supply, 2 units each capable of 50kW each max. J14 has 4 units capable of 150kW each which is 600kW

If a site has 5 units with 200kW supplied to each then you'd need a 1GW supply so I think 100kW is more likely and then they can use the same supply setup as J14 from the POV of sub-stations etc

Also worth remembering Birdhill is only a 2 X 50kW site and priced relatively competitively these days at €0.44/unit. If applegreen were to keep these prices everywhere they'd unlikely have faster units here

One thing I noticed in the UK was a few of the Electric Highway chargers (formerly Ecotricity, now Gridserve) are marked as 120kW per plug but seem to be grid limited to around 50kW

From the pictures, the chargers look similar, so they might be rated for quite high power but Applegreen might limit the site connection until they see how the usage is

It's also possible with that many chargers they could do some clever load distribution. For example say each charger can supply 100kW per plug, so the full power of the site would be 1.2GW. But maybe Applegreen only get a 600kW supply

They could allocate the full 100kW to the first 6 cars that plug in, but when the 7th one comes along they could start dividing down the available power per charger, so that if all 12 plugs are in use they're only getting 50kW per plug

Hopefully the site has a good grid connection. It's in Dublin city, and as I recall the main HV lines come in there, so high power connections should be close by.

Might have to swing by sometime this weekend and take a look at the substation, see if there's a kVA rating on it

My guess is 150kW units that load share to 75kW per side if both plugs are in use....

I'm guessing that due to the location (Ballymount Industrial Estate), there should be plenty of supply on hand to support 900kW supply for these chargers (if they are 150kW each)

Yes that seems to be the new thing. Bjorn keeps going on about Kempower offering that functionality as something new but the V2 tesla superchargers had it for years, modular dynamic load sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

What blocking of other installs are you talking about?

I believe new chargers are coming to the motorway sites, I don't know any details but I believe these are not to be from ecars, not sure will the existing ecars facilities remain or be removed

Apparently Applegreen haven't renewed the lease at both Tesla SuC sites at Castlebellingham, so it looks like they might boot Tesla out and use the site for their own chargers.

There's also a rumour that the reason Ecars never expanded any of the TII motorway stations is because the owners (majority Applegreen) didn't allow them so they could save the site for their own chargers

How much truth there is to any of that is anyones guess, I don't think it's been officially confirmed by anyone yet. And Ecars are certainly a lot better at producing excuses than chargers so I'm not sure I'd believe them

eCars wanted to expand at the Applegreen motorway services, but Applegreen wouldn't let them... and now we know why. (well we always knew why, but with this site in Ballymount, we get an idea of their ambition, and it seems they're not messing around!!)

The rumour is also that Tesla will be leaving the 2 Castlebellingham sites (coincidently Applegreen sites), hence Tesla announcing a 'Coming Soon' new site in the Castlebellingham area.

Post edited by liamog on

Applegreen have long been blocking ecars expansions. This is why the MSAs generally only have the original 50kW. They are also rumored to be ending the lease with tesla at castlebellingham. Up to now they claimed they wanted their own network but havent done anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

If Applegreen can replicate Ballymount around the country it will be a big boost to the network and hopefully it doesn’t deter other companies investing in addition charging capacity, can’t ever see me needing Ballymount but glad it’s there, outside of rush hour it’s very easy to access from the M50, unfortunately that place is carnage around lunch hour, cars abandoned all over the car park hopefully the spots aren’t all ICEd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The problem with e-cars is that instead of taking their business to a nearby location they just washed their hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Applegreen don't own the MSAs, just lease them. The leases were negotiated in 2009, so I doubt they included anything to do with EV charging, but TII should be able to put pressure on them to increase the pace of rollout of their own chargers.

When are the Castlebellingham Tesla sites expected to close. They started work on them in October 2017, so if it's a 5 year lease, then it would be just about up.

As an aside, went to Cork yesterday. Charged in Fermoy on the way down (nobody else there at all) and in Cashel on the way back (Leaf on the 50kW, so used Ionity). No waiting to charge at all.

The Applegreen on the M9 in Paulstown has to be next on the list…..

halfway down the M9 would be a bloody great spot!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Applegreen don't own the MSAs, just lease them. The leases were negotiated in 2009, so I doubt they included anything to do with EV charging, but TII should be able to put pressure on them to increase the pace of rollout of their own chargers.

There are only 6 TII MSA's, the original 3 were given 25 year concessions in 2009 and probably have no way to compel and operator to provide new services such as EV charging. The 3 issued in 2018 by CircleK hopefully have a better agreement where TII can update minimum standards over time.

Do you have any evidence of this?

My understanding is completely the opposite, that the failure to increase on the existing provision was solely eCars.

All TII MSAs have a requirement for EV chargers - although they are quite limited due to being written so long ago. IIRC it is to have at least 1*AC and 1*DC charger but the actual protocols or charging speeds are not defined

Theres already one 2 junctions up on the m9 though, an ecars "HUB"

I sincerely doubt that the operating contracts for the 3 stations from 2009 have any such provision, at the same time I would fully expect the contracts awarded for tranche 2 to have them, or at least a provision for TII to update standards over time.

eCars have been expanding the network at numerous other locations around Ireland it is notable that non of the new chargers were deployed at Applegreen stations. Similarly in the UK, Gridserve have had difficulty extending their network at Welcome Break sites, Welcome Break were bought by Applegreen around 4 years ago.

I'm all in favour of a service station operator providing their own charging infrastructure, it's just a pity that they took so long to get round to it.

Yeah, the hub that you can arrive at and if 1 Leaf is there using the 50kW unit it means the 'hub' only has 1 available CCS plug..... If I never have to go in there again looking for a charge I'll be a happy man.... Another fairly sh1tty services... and having the McDonalds there makes the place a bit of a rubbish tip....

This one in Paulstown, being 55km further south is a much better prospect for folk traversing the M9..(especially heading down from Dublin). Same with that new charger going into the CircleK on the M9 at Carlow.. the closer to Waterford the better!! (Waterford being worse than NI for DC charging). If Applegreen put a hub in here, it would be my go to as it would give me a 140km round trip down to family in Waterford and back up to it... Kilcullen is just a bit too far for that, especially in winter (and just too busy), it's also too close to the N7 Ionity sites in Kill!!!

The CircleK to Passage East and back is 176km, so also easily doable, but Kilcullen down and back is 250km, so doable in summer, not so in winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

About Waterford, passed an Applegreen on the N25 last year at Lemybrien and it was jammed. Seems like a good spot if there isn't a charger there already.

For Andy's above trip above I think Mullinavat is on a list for eCars expansion so the M9 could have decent service if Applegreen were to do Paulstown as well.

Advertisement