Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Spillane..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's the thing. He was no fool and I had no problem about the stuff he said about my county cause most of it was true.

But Dublin won soft all Irelands, Tyrone were not team of decade(who cared anyway), Kerry this and kerry that. If I got a Euro for everytime he mentioned his eight all irelands. Plus I used laugh when he compare kerry football to national rugby team or soccer team. Kerry were winners but they were not. Sweet jesus.

And fact he is still bitter about 1982 says it all. Man won 8 all irelands, enjoy them. Most would chop a arm off for one.

Post edited by The_Kew_Tour on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Can anyone explain how ‘pits’ young fella ended up playing for Sligo…..?

Tyrone beating Kerry 3 times in the 2000 to 2010 period with ‘puke’ football must have irked him most…!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,078 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

To be fair to him he did admit on TV prior to his meltdown last year that Tyrone were the team of the 2000s decade because even though Kerry won more All Irelands they could never beat Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

His mother is a Sligo woman so he qualifies that way.

Jack Charlton type stuff by the Sligo Co board so….?

maybe ‘pits’ young lad wasn’t up to it as if he was surely the KY board wud Ave done anything required for him to stay with Kerry

• Advertisement

’pit’ didn’t quite make it as an international ‘super- star’……he got a nice tan/burn/roasting though for troubles…..factor 50 didn’t exist in those days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

He only seemed to get going when he joined Judes. The commute to his home club wasn't working and he wasn't even starting on the team when they won the club all Ireland. AFAIK Sligo train somewhere around the Midlands which isn't too bad commuting from Dublin and he is good enough to start for them now when he's probably not good enough for Kerry yet.

Honestly I thought he nearly won it the way he used talk about it. Its funny how he belittled other sports for doing far better than he did.

That’s Cockiness and hot air talk for you 😀😀

quite impressive time for the 100m though…..10.54 secs…….the Brit /Scott lad Alan wells won the 1980 olympics with 10.25….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

100 yards about 91m.

Would equate to about 11.6secs for 100m

• Advertisement

Are you sure they reverted to a 100 yard distance for the ‘super-stars’ despite what the report on the web report says…?

he would beat them all in a ‘talk-a-ton’ ……?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Spillane also used to be a presenter, I was watching the tape from The Sunday Game the night of the 2004 semi final and he was presenting along with Anthony Tohill as a pundit.

I suppose I enjoyed him overall but recently I have taken a dislike to Brolly despite him being a Derry hero. His wokeness on Twitter is off the scale and he is obsessed with Brexit, I've never seen anyone who posts about it as much as him. I think Brolly is a massive virtue signaller.

Brolly is definitely looking for a job

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anita22

You have an awful problem with PAT. Post after post of bitterness. Pat's young lad is a fine footballer. Very impressed with him in the Tailteann v Cavan.

Pat has 8 All Ireland medals, 9 all stars, 3 man of the match awards in all ireland finals, a couple of player of the year awards. His mother's people the Lyne's have all ireland medals. His brother Mike has 7, brother Tom has 4. His nephews have 2 now. And your an insignificant, anonymous piece of alphabet😉

By the way your 17 point Limerick beating Kilkenny prediction was wrong too. Seems like you begrudge Kilkenny too.

I doubt pat is too worried about some comments by ‘random-ers ’ on boards.ie…or any other social media outlet 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Rte obviously realised Pat was long past it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Obviously RTE sport have copped on to the fact that spillane, o'rourke and mcstays brand of ignorant lecturing wasnt acceptable anymore as all 3 were moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,078 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Two of them got inter-county manager jobs.

Did RTE lobby for them to get the jobs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

• Advertisement

Spillane being bitter Spillane as usual by saying his Kerry side were better than Dubs 6 in a row etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Probably just a desperate attempt to remain relevant. Not unusual for some former players and ex RTE pundits to come out with nonsensical horse manure to generate clicks and debate, particularly when they've been removed from the gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

When i 1st watched GAA as a child in the 90s Spillane came across well, relaxed and good craic. In this social media age he just seems to be a self promoter craving clicks and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say with Spillane, if you ended up sitting beside him on a train or plane the novelty might wear off pretty sharp. He strikes you with that over earnest, condescending and patronising tone and determined that he’d give an aspirin a headache. Probably no harm in him just he’s…Pat.

Even when Whelan presented him with the Dublin jersey for his retirement he had to have dig at Dublin about how Kerry beat them most of the time.

Kerry never win a soft All Irelands, Dublin won most of theirs softly.

Kerry only had win 2 games to win All Ireland lot of the time and Cork were hopeless for much of it too.

It still pains him that the 5 in a row was done and not kerry.

Having 8 All Irelands and still bitter that's pretty sad. I actually feel sorry for him.

Most would die for 1 AI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Sure even if they did the 5 in a row, Dublin won 6 in a row.

Spillane just can’t help himself. Most biased pundit ever……as mentioned above by someone, ky in the 70’s and 80’s had barely any opposition in Munster, cork pipped them once in 1983 up to then they walked through every title. Then when it came to semis in that era Ulster and Connaught were also brutal which left them just having one/two tough games…….yet they could only do four in a row….😀😀

Dublin on the other hand…..probably had it as easy in the last decade but did six in a row so ‘pit’ should drop his bragging shite, but he just can’t help himself…..his ego is up there with Donald trumps.🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

6 in a row and 8 in the same decade.. for Dublin..

wouldn’t feel sorry for him…he showed a very nasty, unsportsmanlike, bitter, sour and mealy mouthed jealous streak courtesy of some of his comments…

Dublin won SFA in the last couple of years but I certainly don’t begrudge the teams that won…. I wonder if he didn’t walk would he have been shoved….? Maybe he got a tap on the shoulder.. “ hey Pat, got a sec ?!” Wouldn’t have been surprised…he has epitomised a sort of toxic, bad tempered bitter begrudgery that doesn’t belong on our screens, he’s on our coin too... no place for it… won’t miss him but I’m sure he had his admirers in certain quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,353 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Spillane used to lose the head at stuff, I don’t think a lot of it was preplanned.

You are right about Brolly though there is no sincerity to anything he says, it is all for attention.

Spillane’s analysis did seem a bit dated at times ‘passion’ ‘hunger’ his main buzzwords. But when mixed with a younger analyst it was OK. From what I remember when Spillane was main presenter he was very awkward. Those were strange days.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

You forgot "intinsity"😀 , I'm sorry to see the old guard gone in one go, as I enjoyed their contributions over the years, notwithstanding the accuracy of the analysis. Also think Joe Brolly is a loss, can't say whether he really is a contrarian or just an attention seeker, but I think the TV show is not as entertaining without him.

Ciaran Whelan and Tomás Ó'Sé are my favourites of the younger pundits, not sure if they'll be more prominent in the future, as RTÉ seem intent on shoe horning in as many people who've never played the game as possible!

Advertisement