Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There it is again, negative comments equals begrudgery.

We are not required to do anything, but a less than favourable opinion is founded in animus apparently.

Why do you think posters become so emotional when there is comment about poor performance? It seems fairly unique to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

I never said that one equals the other. I think you’re being a bit over defensive.

Not at all, I have nothing to be defensive about. I don’t begrudge McIlroy any of his success.

I’m curious though, you said this thread can be a “prime example” of the begrudgery of Irish people, I don’t get the sense anyone on this thread begrudges Mcilroy his success, but I do notice a select band of posters get emotional when anyone comments on bad play. Are those the examples of begrudgery you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd say the people that come out immediately after he wins a tournament to only talk about how he bottles majors is begrudgery

You know what their response to that is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Rory has saved golf these past few weeks . Let there not be a bad word said against him until at least the Masters next year, when he shoots 75 in the opening round .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

I get what you're saying but I don't agree with you and don't think you have any data to back what you're saying up.

No, people aren't required to like him because he is Irish. However, given his character which is generally very affable, no real negative news about him and his success on the golf course, it is unusual for him to be so polarising. Other Irish sports stars with similar traits and success would be much more universally loved.

I really don’t get why any sports person must be “loved”, considering most of us know next to nothing about them personally, and don’t really care what they do off the field of play. On other sports threads, fans comment about the performance of the players/teams without anyone saying there is personal bias. It seems especially odd here considering most of the negative comments here do actually relate to him playing badly, just as the positive ones tend to follow on from him playing well.

He is polarising, so what? Some think he is can do no wrong, some think he is a bottler, most probably think he is somewhere in between, great and awful at times. But this incessant need for posters to admire him, and that there must be a personal animus if you don’t, is very odd. Not everyone likes every sports person, no matter how successful they are, or their heritage, most of the time it is just about how they played today.

Loved was the wrong choice of word. Liked within their sport. And I'm not speaking about within this thread because using online forums as a basis of a "world view" of someone is a stupid thing to do. From my experience, there are lots of people who strongly dislike McIlroy for no apparent reason - nothing to do with his performances as they wouldn't be big golf fans anyway. They really enjoy when he doesn't win. So I'm not talking about people just criticizing him when he plays bad. I haven't seen this replicated with many other Irish sports people. Harrington and Lowry are largely liked by Irish people. Roy Keane was perhaps a polarising figure, but much of that was to do with Saipan. Again, I didn't say everyone has to like every sports person and I didn't say there is something wrong with him being polarising, I just said it's unusual for a figure like McIlroy to be so disliked by a lot of people.

• Advertisement

Again, you are equating comment on poor performance with personal dislike. When a poster comments on him blowing his chances of winning by shooting a lower score than everyone else around him in the final round, or torpedoing his chances of winning by playing rubbish the first day, why do you think that is personal? The reason for the comments are literally there for you to see on your tv screen/leaderboard.

Tell me, why do posters get pissed off when others post negatively about him? Are you a personal friend, relative, have a connection with Mcilroy? This is a discussion forum, people have differing opinions, that’s life.

I specifically said I was not talking about poster's comments, so I don't know where you're pulling that out of. Your first paragraph has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, this seems to be a trend with you too.

If you're speaking about me, when did I get pissed off?

Exactly, this is a discussion forum. You seem to get equally defensive when people pissed off about negative comments - they can if they want. You also ignored any point I made and brought it back to your agenda of posters defending McIlroy in the face of criticism, they can if they want.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My dad hates him. I love him. One of us is guaranteed a good week when he plays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

I dont like Rory the person (I obviously dont know him 😁) but I love watching him play! his game is addictive! but his honest opinion and his out spoken stance on LIV has me warming to him as a person now too 😂

Why don't you like him as a person (or personality as none of us know him!)? Genuinely curious!

I seen him a few times in real life once was in the spawell and I said hello as he was walking past and he just walked past me like i was the **** on his shoe.. 😂 Plus the way he disregarded his old caddy JP like he was nothing.. The rest of the Irish lads just seem more friendly and down to earth and the fact he doesnt play the Irish open 😂

Also was at the Irish open years ago in Kerry and he was playing the Pro am with Enda Kenny and Enda was having the craic with the crowd (small enough crowd to as it was the Wednesday) and he wouldn't interact at all! came across as a bit of a dick to be honest and that was my first time seen him in person.

Fair. I've never seen him in real life but have heard from lots of people who mix in golf circles that he's actually the soundest of the Irish lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not just Rory, only one of Ireland's four most famous sports stars in the last twenty years is generally liked and that's Padraig Harrington.

Conor McGregor is despised by more Irish people than those who respect/like him. Now I'm not saying he doesn't put in for it. Roy Keane has a lot of haters too and always had.

Conor McGregor is an MAJOR MOD EDIT At least it's pretty obvious why he's not liked. I'm a fan of Roy Keane but Saipan divided the population on him.

Lowry is pretty universally liked, Harrington as you said. Robbie Keane was (I think), Brian O'Driscoll, Paul O'Connell. We don't have too many huge stars currently so it's hard to pick more examples.

MOD EDIT, way offside with that remark, keep it clean please OEP

Post edited by slave1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

McGregor's allegations were news stories and he was arrested for some of them - don't see why that's way offside. I never said he was charged or guilty of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's just boards.ie trying to separate itself from potential slander cases

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

When was his last major win? No bottles during that time no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Motivator

I heard the contrary off a few European Tour guys I met in Abu Dhabi a few years ago. McIlroy pulled out of the tournament at the last minute due to an injury and they had no time for him at all. Now, this is going back maybe 5 years and I believe since he’s now a family man he’s meant to have mellowed but they weren’t too enamoured with him.

Anyone who’s recently impressed with him over his stance on the LIV thing, don’t let that influence your decision. McIlroy isn’t some human rights god like figure. He’s a sportsman and a business man who’s looking after his best interests. For those who’ll say he could have just jumped across to LIV to secure his business interests with the money etc. it’s not as easy as that. Almost all of his contracts and lifetime bonus money is linked to his PGA tour status. He’s also a legacy man so he wants the PGA tour to survive and thrive as long as possible. His anti Saudi stance is purely down to some contractual agreement/obligation that he has somewhere.

I’ve seen him a few times. He’s great with kids, not with adult fans. Do I care? No. If he’s a bollocks then it’s no skin off my nose, I don’t deal with him on a daily basis so what he does or how he is has zero impact on my life. He’s a bloody good golfer and that’s enough for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's covered in the Charter and as Moderators your original post is still visible, you accused him of some serious stuff. Let's leave it at that and move on please.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

He has played it 11 times, hasn't suited his schedule the last few years and has been pointed out here he is a business man and his schedule is meticolously coreographed to maximise his potential success.

sorry but I call BS on this - McIllroy has plenty of form going back 20 years on his charity work and human rights - he is an amabassador for UNICEF and the Rory Mcillroy foundation is one of the biggest charities in the world, but he doesnt go around shouting about it from the rooftops likle others do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Motivator

I never said he wasn’t charitable did I? Also, most of the top 20 golfers in the world have a charity or a foundation of some sorts. Admirable as it is, McIlroy isn’t the only one to do this.

Advertisement