Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It is at 9c per kWh. How much DC charging do you do per year? I know I do flip all, so having to pay the premium of an extra 9c for Apple Green or easygo or even an extra 34c for ionity the few times I am DC charging isn't anything significant and worth the few euro if it means no queuing.

Each to their own. If your time isn't worth much then queue away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is if you mainly charge at home. A small surcharge for a premium service isn’t to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Got word of this planing application from Applegreen Birdhill. Decision due in 10 days.

the upgrade of an existing off-line motorway service area in order to provide a fast charge electric vehicle hub, compressed natural gas compound and dispenser, drive-thru coffee facility, new signage and all associated site works 1) the fast-charge electric vehicle hub involves the conversion of 14 no. existing car park spaces into fast-charging electric vehicle spaces.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For anybody who is curious the break even on the eCars subscription is 121kWh on AC, 124kWh on Fast chargers, and 115kWh on Ultra Fast.

I'm far more interested in the manufacturer subscriptions, where I'd like one central bill that covers all operator, ideally the subscription is loaded into the car so I don't even have to worry about cards. This will come in time with Plug&Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's great news. That is a very busy station and is a nice halfway stop in the Dublin to Kerry journey.

I can guarantee it will definitely be ICE'd. Speaking from experience with the amount of clowns who either deliberately or through sheer stupidity park in the Tesla charging spots you can bet they will park here.

I've had to ask a fat yoke in a Micra to move so I could charge and I saw another lad asking a lad in a pick up to move. Parking is a bit of a nightmare at busy times but overall this is great news for EV's!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Applegreen really need to upgrade Enfield. Hopefully this is the start of something.

I wonder what charging units they’ll put in?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When did they set up this website? Maybe a sign of things to come https://www.applegreenelectric.com/

The website is dodge and just shows any Applegreen site.

Domain name bought last August. The website speaks about an app which is yet to be launched . I think it is going to be a framework for different site owners in the franchise. And to be honest nothing to loose from their perspective. All good news for us as the private operators are warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

From the plans, which were all scanned sideways and mostly feature a coffee shop, the hub is going to be where the existing apple green chargers are plus all the spaces to left of them.

So it's going to take all the spaces around the forecourt pretty much, just the ones in front of the building will be left, so prime iceing spots.

I expect this will be delayed anyway as I see TII have objected to the development as having a negative impact on the junction. They are probably more focused on the bigger part of the application which is the new costa coffee drive thru and the extra traffic it could create. I can't help but wonder if the new chargers were thrown in there to help the drive thru get approved. Let's add some EV chargers and LNG refueling with our coffee shop application then we can say anyone who opposes it supports climate change.

• Advertisement

Saw this earlier. Is that branding unique to the UK ?

Tritium not ABB units in the photo

https://t.co/RuPoPzfmx2

Unique at the moment, but it matches the website I posted. I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll out this branding here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

ANPR cameras could serve as a solution here as well, register the reg with the company, pull up and plug in and the cameras do the heavy lifting

All CCS cars send an identifier when communicating to the charger, there is a proper protocol for it, but even without this Fastned where able to use MAC address identification to link a car to a customer account.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Problem with that is it's easily spoofed.

It's not particularly easy to spoof, your going to need to put hardware between the charger and the CCS control module in the vehicle. Once intercepted you would then need to change your identifier to one of a second registered customer with that particular charge provider. Once you move to Plug&Charge you've a much more secure system.

I'm not going to pretend I can easily spoof it, that's not my area of expertise at all. But Bjorn did a video a while back of the technology and why it was easily spoofed.

I know they managed to spoof it at defcon, but modifying the mac address is the easy part of the problem, trying to find one that was linked to an active customer so that your charge actually started and using it long enough without the customer noticing is basically a non issue. The risk carried is exactly the same as the RFID cards we use which can also be spoofed and programmed with an arbitrary identifier.

Planning was granted for the Birdhill charging hub.

But with conditions, the main one being they can't build the Costa drive-tru next to it.

Be interesting to see what happens next, will they appeal the coffee shop decision and hold up the chargers.

Applegreen to invest €117m in New Jersey highway plazas and HQ

via The Irish Times

It’s a US story but might explain some of the inaction by them.

“The company’s chief executive, Bob Etchingham, and its chief operating officer, Joe Barrett, who together owned more than 40 per cent of Applegreen, took it private last year with Blackstone’s backing. They said the deal would help it focus on motorway service centres and the rollout of electric-vehicle charging.

Applegreen last year explored a sale of its filling station business in the UK but it recently decided not to go ahead with a deal.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You could say the same thing about the ANPR technology I was proposing. Show up to a motor factors and ask for a number plate with a specific reg

Those RFID tags/cards can be hacked, and no phone app or contactless credit card can be 100% secure

Looks like they aren't willing to let go of the Costa Coffee.

Planning application for Birdhill has been appealed.

Was sent this earlier , I see it’s on IEVOA fb as well

Petrogas Group Ltd is seeking permission for a service area and electric vehicle charging on a 3.4 hectares site at Knocks, Dunshaughlin. The plans include 36 electric vehicle charging point parking spaces, eight general fuel pumps, and two HGV fuel pumps together with underground fuel storage tanks and ancillary pipe works.

36 ?

36 chargers is pretty interesting. Even if it's 3 spaces per charger that's still 12. I wonder if instead they are going for an AC "hub" for park and ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seems weird, surely dublin based users dont have great use for hubs like this so close to dublin. If I'm driving from dublin to say sligo or donegal having a hub ~25km outside dublin doesn't eliminate the problems of trying to charge somewhere in sligo or donegal when there's still a two way journey beyond the range of your car from dunshaughlin to your destination and back to dunshaughlin.

Ionity cashel for example opens up the south west of the country to ev's crossing the country, anytime I charged there it was busy with others similar to me.

Dunshaughlin hub cant open access to ev's to the northwest, it's too close to dublin. It doesn't do anything to eliminate the risks of travelling through the north west, the part of the country with the poorest ev infrastructure. It makes matters worse for north west as extra ev's traveling north west now will be competing to charge at the place where they actually need it which is in the north west, where there is no charging infrastructure. This hub may be a good thing for people doing the opposite - ie travelling from the northwest to dublin and returning home same day. But that's a small pool of people as the infrastructure up north and north west is not currently suitable for them to travel anywhere else?

Doing Dublin return in a day is a common trip, and currently you can't AC charge in Dublin. This means that anyone coming from the north, north west etc can now charge on the way in or out at dunshaughlin. Even a simple ttrip from say Cavan to South Dublin return could be beyond the range of a lot of EVs so this would help greatly.

It's private enterprise so they wouldnt open them if they wouldnt think they will make money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Great to finally see Applegreen infrastructure starting to happening. It's a big vast county out there in North/NW and I think more country folk and Northeners do day trips to Dublin than the opposite so this location makes lots of sense.

Exactly. I'm 120-150km from Dublin - depending on whereabouts of course I'm going - so charging is needed either in my Ioniq or the model X. I can now charge the model X at sandyford SuC but the Ioniq can charge at this applegreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's a bit odd looking, the planning documents state 45 charging bays, but I can only count 37 in the site map

I wonder are they just leaving space for extra, or maybe there'll be a bank of chargers elsewhere

Also I kinda feel like the 36 bays might be AC charging. Might be the cynic in me but I just have a hard time believing any forecourt provider is going to provide so many DC chargers

There also doesn't seem to be any extra space around the bays which would be needed for DC chargers, so either the site map is wrong or they're using a smaller charger. That could be AC chargers, or something like Kempower chargers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement