Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Learner driver/ late 30s/ m

As above, I'm late to the driving game, but with a new baby I need to get on the road.

Would anyone have any advice of what type of car I should be looking at for my first? I only want to go through a dealer: what kind of things do I need to be aware of?

My main considerations are: child safety, space for prams etc and affordable insurance. My budget is 10-15k.

Thanks in advance, all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Hey All,

Looking for advice, I've seen this car on Windsor which by all accounts seems to be more one of the more popular and reliable second hand dealer, albeit more expensive. But from what I have seen when researching car prices over the last few months, when i compare to other prices this 2014 low mileage focus seems a little cheap ?

for example, on the same website there is a 2014 fiesta 1L with similar mileage going for 500 euro more. Does anyone have any insights into how this focus would be cheaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Paddy El

Hi. I have a question regarding the checks on motortax.ie. I was browsing cars on Donedeal and one caught the eye. I checked motortax.ie for change of ownership which indicated no change in the last 3 months but a vehicle registration cert was issued last month. What is the likely explanation for this if there was no change in ownership? Change of address maybe? It's a private seller and the ad went up just a couple of days after the cert was issued. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Current owner could have lost the original cert so got a replacement when putting the car up for sale. You could always ask to see the logbook and verify that it has the same name and address as the person selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Paddy El

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks Bazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ciaran_gell

First time driver here, looking to get me something simple that won't be a money pit to constantly fix. I've got a budget of max 6500 for a car. With this market what do my chances look like? Would prefer something older than 2012 and south of 150km. Does that sound reasonable?

Would any of you advise trying to get a car in from the North. I know there are additional costs but is it worth the hassle?

Cannot see the point in importing from the North on your budget. VRT would eat into that budget so you would really want to be looking at cars in the price bracket of 4k or cheaper up there and used cars in the North are expensive these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Looking to buy a second hand hybrid with a budget of 11k. Will mainly do 60km trips (30km each way) for work and need to get an automatic so thought a hybrid would make the search a bit easier and not as hard on petrol costs.

I'm seeing a lot of Japanese imports though, it's mainly been hondas and toyota prius/aqua on donedeal, they look to be in pretty good shape but if there are issues down the line could I get screwed over on parts or are there any other hidden problems that mainly come up with imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Have you considered BMW 5 series? Lovely car and good bang for your buck

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Know a few people with the Honda Fit hybrid and they haven't had any difficulties.

Would you for an older (2011) Lexus CT 200 h? There is an Irish one in Sligo (2 previous owners) which reportedly has Lexus service history and very low mileage. Coming in at your budget which is expensive for an 11 year old car but it should run on for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

I'm looking at a 2016 Hyunday i40 estate 1.6CRDI around 125000km, anyone care to comment about them?

I know they're the main Garda car out there and have a decent name for reliability but are there any issues to be aware of for them? I've read about clutch and transmission issues but I'm not sure if that applies to ones from this year or was it earlier years....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

To add to that last question are the newer (2017 upwards) Opel Insignias as unreliable as the older generation or did they solve some of the problems with the newer version as part of the facelift?

No they are actually quite a good car, if you can get a high spec one they'd be as good as anything else on the market albeit not as sexy of an option as an ST-Line Mondeo or VRS Octavia etc

Had one - loved it. Great car, great value to be hand and with the executive plus spec you get everything like leather heated seats etc. Some bad points though, the interior is quite plasticcy and not very high quality although it's still very smart looking but the plastics will rattle and fade quite easily. I'd stay away from white/silver or any light colors as stone chips rust on them very easily and will stick out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zkaro

(I'm new to Ireland)

How much would be the annual expenses for a car . E.g. https://www.adverts.ie/car/mitsubishi/colt/mitsubishi-colt-2013/27024238 (just an example of a not very old car). Taxes, registration, required service, etc excluding gas price.

Do I need to buy insurance before driving car to home? Can I do it online right after buying the car (if paid with card) so I could drive it home? Or does making insurance require several days?

Do I need to register it somewhere?

Is there any warranty by the law? E.g. if something is broken during the first few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Hello, I'm currently looking to buy a car. I'm looking at the following and can't choose which to go for.

SEAT Ateca 1.6 diesel 2019 137,000km automatic,

Volkswagen T Roc, 1.6 diesel 2019 91,000km manual,

Hyundai Tucson, 1.7 diesel 2018 53,000miles manual,

Kia Sportage, 1.7 diesel 2019 40,000miles, manual,

Was hoping for your honest opinions on which to go for. I have test driven them and all nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I won't be able to give you a break-down on all the costs. Tax you can find out from web: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinforeg.do , anyway is printed on the tax disk for the car (differs depending on whether paid for 3mths, 6mths or 1 year). Shouldn't have any registration fee if you buy an Irish vehicle. Services, all depends on the car and the garage... very hard to know. You may need to pay for on-street parking? You'll probably have an annual NCT. You should price tyres for the car (can depend a lot on the type/profile of wheels/tyres fitted separate to the quality/brand), Insurance is the big one you left out.

You must be insured before driving the car, whether to home or wherever. You must have tax and NCT too, but those are (IMHO) less serious. It's definitely a very serious offence to drive the car uninsured. Having it sit on the road uninsured is probably also an offence, but much less likely to get you in serious trouble (legal, financial, etc.,) if only a matter of days. A work-around could be to get a friend to come with you who is insured to drive other cars, and ask him/her to drive it home for you. However, sometimes there's a condition on that clause that the car be insured in SOMEBODY'S name, so you could be in catch 22 (need to check friend's policy). Also you'd both be in trouble: you as the owner and him/here as the driver.

Cleanest approach is:

1) pick a couple of models you are most likely to buy. Get indicative quotes so you can do your cost calculation.

2) once you have an actual car that you may be ready to go ahead on, get a firm quote using the registration number.

3) buy the car or at least pay the deposit

4) pay for and activate the quote.

5) drive your new car home

The tricky bit is how much time you can have between steps 3 and 4. If you're buying from a garage, it's not unusual that you might conclude the deal today (either paying in full or deposit), and pick up the car in a day or two (they may anyway need to fix up a couple of small bits, clean it for you, or even do an NCT in between), which gives you time to sort out the insurance. In my experience, this is much easier if you have an insurance company/broker with whom you can interact on phone... albeit you have to do that during office hours etc., (I've done this once, where I paid for the car, and then went on phone to call insurance to advise them to activate the policy; then drove home. Other times I think I've always had a day in between)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Reposting the car inspection questions posted here earlier, anyone with experience dealing with the likes of car inspection ireland or auto guru?

Thank you, that describes quite well what I need to do.

When requesting a quote from insurer, it asks if the car was modified. How I could find it? I want to avoid situation when I buy a used car and later find that insurance is not valid.

Another question: how to get letter of refusal from insurance companies? Websites says it can't insure me, and when calling they say that can't give insurance either. But nobody wants to give any formal refusal (email or paper form).

• Advertisement

Have a read of this:

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

If they are declinging you cover then they are supposed to provide you with a letter.

Also there is a dedicated insurance forum on boards, I suggest asking over there:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/insurance-aircraft-maritime-motor

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi Guys

Looking at test driving a 181 golf car van tomorrow. From a VW franchise, I got a walk around video and done the car checks online and all seems good.

I plan on taking it for a test drive tomorrow. My question is would you bring a mechanic to check it as well? I don't know any mechanics, I dont know alot about cars but know what was mentioned in the pinned post. The car comes with 6 months warranty.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Picked up a used car yesterday and sent the change of ownership form to Shannon - anyone know how long this normally takes to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭User1998

I wouldn’t bother bringing a mechanic to look at a 181 with warranty. Just my opinion

I bought a car (valid NCT) from garage, arranged insurance, tax, brought it home (put tax, insurance labels to windsheild pocket).

Ordered eFlow tracker.

What else I should do? What else recommended to do?

Car is less that 6 years, does it still have manufacturing guarantee (just learned that it is 6 years instead of 2 years as in rest of EU)?

Is there some place in Dublin, where navigation/rear camera could be installed?

Some good app for tracking gas prices?

Anyting else I should consider during first 3 months/1year?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

Looking for some help please

Need to buy a 7 seater..budget 15, 16 k at most. Needs to be diesel. Would love a smaller 7 seater but will need booster comfortably in middle row. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭boetstark

Please urgent advice. Our son is going to garage in wicklow this evening to buy his first car DC Autos Bray / newtownmountkennedy.

I cannot find much info on seller but car check on the car is 100%. Its a 2012 vw polo and I really don't want him to be caught with a lemon on his first car.

Any info please please

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gnr1983

Hi all,

Considering this as next car:

Any advice with regards to price, reasonable or room to negotiate?

Anyone bought from this dealer before?

Any advice welcome 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

Was talking to some people recently & they commented that a lot of dealers here are sourcing cars from Japan. They were built in Europe for the market there. Apparently the Japanese really look after their cars & trade them in regularly. They have very high specs & include Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes & Volvo, virtually all are automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Japanese trade their cars frequently because their equivalent of the NCT is really expensive and hard to pass

Advertisement