Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who the hell still uses hotmail?

Options

Comments

I use Hotmail. Since ever I started using email I signed up to everything with it, so it’s my default for business transactions. I use gmail sometimes, and have a protonmail account.

I use the Outlook client to organise my Hotmail & Gmail accounts. I find that it is particularly easy to organise folders in Hotmail.

I’m old enough to recall the history of various email providers. Hotmail was the one demonstrated at my workplace as staff were being introduced to the burgeoning internet, and I in turn was required to show others how to sign up and use it. Initially there was quite the limit in how many emails you have have in your Hotmail and other accounts. Then a colleague told me about this new service called Gmail that could handle pretty much unlimited email, and I thought “wow”. He had it, but informed me “it’s strictly by invitation”, and I asked how could I be invited. Do t know what he answered but I know I didn’t bother him again. Gmail was in beta mode, of course, so being trialled to see how this limitless capacity could be accommodated by the growing tech giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have my Hotmail account since 1998. No issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've had my hotmail account since before it was bought by microsoft. It is my full name without needing any numbers to make it unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The UN uses it for their workers, I just sent my bank account details to a lovely chap who said there is millions of dollars from Iraqi gold due to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I still use my hotmail account. Old school.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

The head of IT in the HSE uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who the hell watches Kevin Hart movies

Terry Prone swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Still have one as my main personal account. Sometime late 90,s

Get the odd comment alright when giving it out.

Post edited by Cushtie on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Still have my old hotmail accounts, havent used them in ages though.

Sabina Higgins uses it to send letters to the Irish Times all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Anybody care about your privacy using these horrible mail providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm of an age where I did a couple of night classes on how to use Pegasus email. Awfully complicated stuff back then. 😀 I think it was around 1992 or 1993. No hotmail back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have never used it beyond probably some Demo ware CD in the 90s but they are still coming out with new versions if you want to have a go off it again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Surely that is done by a man on horseback carrying a flintlock and leather satchel with the wax sealed envelope inside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You get an email adress you use it no reason to change it, 10 years ago Gmail was in beta, they did not invent email, they made it secure and easy to use. If I see someone using AOL mail I presume they are over 50. And of course if you have an email like Joe bloggs @hotmail you might want to hold on to it. I trust Gmail is not selling your info to random company's .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have used hotmail as my main email address for the last 18 years or so… though never log into the hotmail website as have it on both my iPhone & Mac in the mail apps…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I still use mine as my primary since the late 1990s. On occasion I note semi-automated (not spam, but automatically generated) emails go missing, but not enough to worry about.

Using hotmail since 1997 and have a 6 letter word before the @. It was really cool to have free quality webmail back then, when most people were using their dial up ISP's email service which required a desktop client and faffing about with mail servers and SMTP ports.

It was my daily driver until I got my gmail invite (back when you had to be invited to get an account). Then hotmail/outlook became my online shopping/litter tray.

• Advertisement

Mine is also my full name, as is my gmail. My name, though not a bit “peculiar” or strange, just happens to be a unique combination and there appears to be nobody else in the world with my first name & surname combination.

Like anything online or otherwise, gmail is not guaranteed to be secure. I have in interest in all things tech, internet, coding etc, and have retrieved lots of stray gmail address lists & password's from dorking. These are strays from previous hackings, hanging around around in the ether, often from Russian domains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

(I don't actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I trust Gmail is not selling your info to random company's .

Why do you trust them not to?

There's no such thing as a free lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gmail has been around since 2004 and absolutely revolutionised free email. Hotmail and the like had very few bells and whistles at the time in comparison. Granted they have all uped their game as a result of Gmail.

I used Hotmail from 98 or 99 then eircom for a while between 02 and 04 and primarily Gmail since.

Yeah I know it's Google and privacy Yadda Yadda Yadda but its a great platform in general and not just for the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Does anyone still have a *@tinet.ie email address? Or a 8@iol.ie, or *@esatclear.ie ? or @oceanfree.ie. Or @indigo.ie

There were a plethora of obscure ISP email services that have since melted into tech history, but i believe some are still functional and are hosted by whatever ISP succeeded them.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's not easy to make an email service thats free and is effecient at blocking spam and also secure , that serves millions of users. I understand Google sells user data based on user search, and what videos you watch on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Hotmales.com is where it's at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I had one until the Outlook.com changeover. I thought it was unprofessional and a bit stupid so I changed it to an outlook.com address when they became available. Got my first initial and surname so was happy enough. I never liked Gmail, was never comfortable with Google tbh.

IOL and Esatclear addresses were migrated to Blacknight paid accounts a while back. If you didn’t opt in to the migration, the mailbox was deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I never had an actual Hotmail address, but I jumped on the platform as soon as I heard Microsoft was offering live.ie addresses. I got a nice short one which is still my main address today. I find the service to be “Vanilla” in a good way when used with a Mail client like Outlook i.e. it just works and also plays nice with non-Microsoft clients like Apple Mail on iOS. I use the Snooze facility a lot, it makes mail go away but come back at the right time.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement