Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What electric car is actually available?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...maybe they have higher priorities after work, such as child raring, and/or maintaining their own well being etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

It's not an irrational fear. It's part of what I've asked anyone who's looking at getting an EV who's asked me about it. Look at long journeys you have to do regularly, and divide them into the different parts of the journey to determine the longest distance you will have to travel without charging. Then find a car that can do that in the worst weather it is possible you will need to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"how do I choose a EV" is a slightly different subject to "what's available"

Especially if its drive kildare/dublin/cork non stop both ways, at the drop of a hat with no notice in the worst winter weather. I think you should work that in another thread in the EV forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Generally perfect.

The same as an engine in a second hand ICE. Some will be better than others but on the most part, no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Aye order for M3 placed June 17th estimated delivery Aug 22nd to October 7th was to be Q1 ‘23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Based on your work life I would advise you to steer clear (pun intended!) of E cars and get yourself a comfortable, reliable ICE car, something like an Audi A4 automatic, diesel of course. You can pick up a decent one with low mileage, say 192 reg with under 40k miles for under €25k. With regular service etc. you could drive relaxed without ''range anxiety'' for the next 5 to 10 years and by then the infrastructure for E cars may be country wide - just as petrol/diesel pumps are today. Granted the price of diesel is going the wrong way and will keep on that trajectory for some time yet. But the savings re. for example the above mentioned Audi and a new E car (in the same league) is substantial and by the time it's time to replace the Audi chances are the E cars will have dropped in price as the manufacturers start mass producing and second hand ones become more common. I sincerely hope that you don't believe the fallacy that E car are more enviormentally friendly, that is simply not the case and the deeper you dig the more this will become apparent. The carbon foot print of E cars is bigger and deeper that what some would like you to believe but it does not suit the current narrative to say this out loud at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP Have you tried the Citroen E-C4? Maybe that is availible. I am surprised with all the shortages that there is not more of them on the roads. They are a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

New doesn't seem to be an option if you want a car to start saving on rocketing fuel costs now. Best case second-hand for a long-distance work car that doesn't need a lot of carry room might be a SH Kona or e-Niro, since they have reasonably quick charge times and CCS. Or you could get lucky with cancellations as others said or an almost-new second hand car like a Model 3 RWD / Model 3 LR.

The present scenario shows how lucky the rest of us were to get / change EVs before the mass shortages bit. That said, I see Kia EV6 and Ioniq 5 models every day so there are a lot of 221 EVs out there based on preorders. At least the pool of EVs is increasing even if demand is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't think a fully electric is for you, was in a similar position with less distance to Cork bought an ID3 it was an absolute disaster come wintertime had to get rid of it after 12k, went back to petrol for 12mts have recently moved to a plug in hybrid, averaging about 62mpg with plenty of motorway, i've never charged it when away from home, nearly all local is done on electric (70km battery range) and if i'm on the motorway I hold the battery for either end of the journey, really happy with the economy and stress free motoring, I'll probably go fully electric again at some stage but i'm in no rush and there's very little suitable cars as I need to be able to tow over 2 tons which the plugin can do on battery alone. Have to wait until January before the bik drops to the same as a full electric it's something to watch out for if your thinking of going plug in hybrid.

• Advertisement

Which Hybrid as a matter of interest. Curious about the battery size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

xc60 T8, 18.8kWh, I was puling 2.5 ton the other day and managed about 40km out of the battrery, it's usually about 70km but have got close to 100 once.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

It is the chip shortage, automotive industry dropped orders in the pandemic and went to the back of the queue in semiconductors (also burnt bridges with their suppliers).

They now have to fight for priority with consumer electronics which also is a much bigger market for semiconductors.

Also cars can have over 150 ECU multiple sensors camera etc. Which all have semi conductors so you can't compare it to laptops.

More shut downs in China due to COVID hasn't helped and also some car companies have had exposure to suppliers in Ukraine and Russia. E.g VW had to resource a wiring loom supplier who was based in Ukraine.

If it was a capacity issue and not component issue why are they temporally shutting production lines in to he past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There may still be some Volvo C40 MY22 Twin Engine Pro models around dealers. When I checked with our dealer on Friday he had 3 left.

There should be quite a few Volvo XC40 BEV 231hp (single engine) MY23 Ultimate models due in late September / early October. Volvo Ireland got a lot of production slots recently, so each dealer would have got an allocation of those.

On the last stock list I got from our Audi dealership (last Monday) there were 7 e-tron's available - variety of Advance/Sport/S-Line's.

BMW i4 will be some point next year - probably Q2 at least. iX I think can be ordered and iX3 but I can't remember lead times.

Forget about the EV6 or Ioniq 5 until some point next year. Q4 e-tron and Enyaq we've been told are 2024 at this stage. ID3, ID4, ID5 we're being quoted Q1 2023 for delivery. Mazda sold all their MX30's and I can't remember when the next lot are due - only 200km range as well, so not too much interest in that.

Toyota have BZ4X due in October I think. I think Citroen's are out until very late in the year, or January at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To clarify - you mean you expect to stop somewhere on the M8 AFTER visiting the Client/site in Cork??????.

EV technology isn't quite there yet.

I mean yes a person can do a 350 mile* journey in an EV - but youd need 2 stops to charge to do it comfortably.

Especially at 120 km/hr which with that type of working day you'd probably be looking to do.

If I was doing that journey in an EV I'd probably want to stop once on way down and then once on the way back.

In something like an EV6 you could travel as far as Cashel at 247 kms - charge enough to get back to Cashel again

And stop again on the return leg.

What I presume you want to do is get from your house in the morning as far as say Portlaoise on the RETURN leg later that evening with no charge stops required.

*based on Kildare Town to Swords, Swords to Ringaskiddy in Cork, Ringaskiddy to Kildare Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭KildareP

The Kona 64KWh supposedly can do it comfortably (Home (out bog of Allen direction) --> Naas Road --> Cork city --> stopoff at Fermoy for top-up charge, which is about 340KM or so --> Home, another 200KM or so. At 340KM between charges this would also allow some comfort room if the chargers at Fermoy were busy/out of action etc.

Nissan Leaf, perhaps less so.

Ioniq 5 or EV6 I imagine the aerodynamics given it's size and weight at 120KM might be much tighter.

Sadly, as per the thread title though, what electric car is available today, there doesn't seem to be an EV to be had until mid-late 2023!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭KildareP

Would be interesting to see does this play out in reality (actual delivery date moving back to this year) as Tesla website still stating Jan-Mar 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

There are plenty of ID4 Life 174bhp versions left to grab for this July.

Same goes for the Subaru Solterra. Still available orders left for July/August.

Also, plenty of ID3s will come out of PCP this July/August to the secondhand market.

I don’t think my mentality would last a 350 mile trip that has to be done daily!

Or do you mean 350km? As you mention 350 miles at 120 km/h 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kildare P needs the ability to do that trip - its not clear how often he does it.

It looks to me like a tight timetable for work where lots of things need to get done in a day.

So in an ICE car you'd probably look to do 120 km/hr as much as possible on motorways.

That doesn't mean the full journey is at 120 km/hr

Its going to be interesting to see how these work days get planned in the addressing climate change era.

Will lads be told drive an EV on the days an EV can do the job.

But (in next few years) - there's one ICE car in the fleet car park for those big 400 miles at short notice and on tight schedule working days.

Intriguing times.

Depends if the convenience and speed of the long trip is more important than anything else.

Often in families theres a big and small car which gets chosen depending on the trip requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

OP here.

ID 4 is on my radar. But…….reviews indicates not as an enjoyable car to drive. I have a long commute, 240km round trip, 2-3 times a week (so you can imagine the current fuel bill). And not a lot of it on motorways.

Ioniq 5 seems to get the best reviews from that perspective so is top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭fafy

test drive as many different ones as you can, reviews, are not you driving it, allthough they can be helpful.

Yeah Ioniq 5 and EV6 are great but Id3 and 4 can take that range no problem with moderate driving. Just depends what size of a car you really need. If you push the Iioniq 5 beyond 120km/h on the motorway your range would drastically reduce like any other EV except a Tesla, Polestar, Taycan or E=tron maybe.

I drove them all except Solterra and I think the ID4 life/business (204bhp) is very enjoyable to drive and a great family car. Not too sure about the 174bhp version tho. but I guess its similar with slower acceleration.

As you know, most of the EVs are pretty heavy with a low centerpoint which naturally gives them a good handling. Suspension for smooth driving is key and the Ioniq 5 is really nice but it was the premium platinum edition for 62k so not sure how this compares to the premium plus with 58kw battery for 48k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you know any garages with a Solterra to test drive? Can't find anything on Subaru's website

In fact, non of the Solterras or BZ4X have arrived in Ireland yet. Scheduled for mid. July but no guarantee according to Carroll and Roche Dublin and Castle Garage in Bray.

Did Galway to Belfast in ioniq 5 responsible speed (around 110kmph on motorway) i pedal on secondary roads normal driving.

I'd do mostly motorway driving, in Jan even in the coldest weather on motorway non efficient driving I was getting between 340 -360 range estimates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A family member of mine has a 161 30kWh leaf, leafspy on Saturday said 95% SOC when fully charged so degradation of less than 1%/year as it is now 222

• Advertisement

Just out of interest why would you say those vehicles wouldn't be impacted much regarding range driving over 120km.

It there to theory to this rather than speculation.

Your basing that on aero dynamics only. I would think that most of those you mentioned are all wheel drive so would take more battery driving 4 motors over 2?

Post edited by podge1979 on

Advertisement