Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving at 30KPH causes engine damage and stalling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Yes, like Eamon Ryan, you won't be happy until we're all bolloks naked on the ground trying to suck minerals from a stone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

I think people are over-playing the safety aspect of this. There’s a much simpler, more practical reason for the reduced limit.

Park at the Cricket club and try to cross the road to the zoo. When people are driving at 50kmh almost no-one will stop to let you across because their speed gives them the impression that their journey is important and human consideration isn’t required. When people are driving at 30kmh, they’re more likely to be aware of and engage with their surroundings.

You could argue that pedestrian crossings would solve this but motorists are bad are observing zebra crossings and they’re not suitable for all road users anyway. Controlled crossings solve that problem at huge cost and typically delay pedestrians a lot. And even then, you’re forcing presentations to walk out of their way just to cross a road *in a park*.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

With respect...

A limit that many do not obey and isn't enforced anyway is not a safety measure. It's a PR exercise.

If it keeps people are happy, I guess that's all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pauly58

There isn't a problem as long as you change down to an appropriate lower gear & don't lug it along in a high one. When I worked at an Opel dealer we would see problems with valves sticking in the guides very briefly & causing the engine management light to come on & log a fault code, mainly happened on Astra's, it was traced to the owners invariably being elderly & on drives with them they were going at a low speed in too high a gear.

• Advertisement

Not being able to drive slowly is a stupid argument.

As half the discussion's around safety when they don't have pedestrian crossings, and did nothing for cyclists or pedestrians until lockdown. When sheer volume forced the OPW to finally do something about it.

As for air pollution;

The difference between 30km/h and 50km/h is small, but exists. However, you can't magically discount the extra emissions involved in having to accelerate to 50km/h after every junction or obstacle. How many people get to drive at 50km/h steady for long periods of time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You could argue that pedestrian crossings would solve this but motorists are bad are observing zebra crossings and they’re not suitable for all road users anyway. Controlled crossings solve that problem at huge cost and typically delay pedestrians a lot. And even then, you’re forcing presentations to walk out of their way just to cross a road *in a park*.

zebra crossings are essentially useless under irish law anyway. pedestrians don't have right of way on them until they've physically stepped out onto them anyway; you're depending on sensible driver behaviour rather than the law for them to work.

it's because of that that dublin city council did not favour their use (years ago a councillor forwarded a question from me to the city manager and i got an answer along the lines of the above)

This is the same council that removed litter bins to solve the litter problem.

Sounds more like a lot of excuses for not doing anything. The argument against pedestrian crossing is the exactly the same as your argument for speed limits. Lets have speed limits we don't enforce. But its ok because we have anecdotal stores that they work and change driver behavior. Even though we have data saying they don't.

There is data that pedestrian crossing, especially signal crossing work well, in conjunction with other safety measures.

Of course of this is based on the premise that the existing roads and infrastructure is dangerous. But since no ones tracking any of that properly its just based on assumptions. Which also means you can't measure the changes in safety in stats. Because we aren't tracking any before and after data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My vote would be 50 on the main road and the ring road around from castle knock down to the garda station and 30 on the smaller twistier roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Is this for real, you are attempting to justify a 30kph speed limit because you park in the cricket grounds and when leaving nobody will stop randomly in the middle of a main road to let you cross as they are travelling at 50kph - do you not get that stopping randomly in the middle of a main road is what causes crashes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sounds more like a lot of excuses for not doing anything.

oh, i'd agree there; there was a whiff of 'we don't use them because irish motorists aren't familiar with them', and that is an obvious chicken and egg scenario.

Almost nobody obeys it, because its practically impossible to actually obey 30kph unnecessarily, even for driving miss daisy.

The real problem now that people on here seem to have ignored is that when someone does actually attempt to obey 30kph they are now getting overtaken as there has to be some practicality built in to such as speed limit which doesn't exist, therefore Karen has now inadvertently made what was a completely safe road into a risky stretch.

i am not sure what the situation is now, but until a couple of years ago, there was a single marked pedestrian crossing on the entire length of chesterfield avenue. so they were expecting people to pick random points to cross the road, so i guess should have expected that motorists may have to stop 'randomly' in the middle of the road.

Its a park with deer and children. If you are unable to stop and emergency stop you, shouldn't be driving.

The problem with having a rational conversion about the park, its completely side tracked with these nonsense arguments. Unable to to drive at 30kph, unable to stop.

Unable to drive end of.

It not impossible. Its just a pain.

You have no idea if its less safe now or before. There is no data on either.

It's a park. It's not a motorway, not a national road, not anything else. It should not be a challenge to cross the road there. I should not have to stand at the side of the road hoping for a break in traffic to get to the other side. If you want to drive in that kind of environment, the country is littered with motorways, dual carriageways and roads. If you're in a park, you do not have priority. If the driver in front of you can't stop to let people cross without you ploughing into them, you need to consider your driving skills.

My driving skills are pretty good, good enough to understand that stopping randomly in the middle of a road for no apparent reason endangers the motorists behind me, regardless of speed. The motorists who believe its ok to stop randomly to let people cross a road, or to let another motorist out of a side road when the road ahead is clear, these are the biggest dangers on our roads today - please do not post dangerous suggestions as there may be learner drivers on here who now think that is no only ethical to do this but they will think its safe,

Your logic is completely irrational, your issue crossing the road is because 1) the car parking beside the zoo is insufficient. 2) there are no road crossing facilities available - and you have somehow come up with a solution of "well if motorists were restricted to 30kph then they would stop randomly for me as I am crossing".

Can you see how your solution has no bearing on the problem?

Its not random. Its a park, and around the zoo heavy with pedestrians.

If you don't get that, you shouldn't be driving.

The motorists who believe its ok to stop randomly to let people cross a road, or to let another motorist out of a side road when the road ahead is clear, these are the biggest dangers on our roads today - please do not post dangerous suggestions as there may be learner drivers on here who now think that is no only ethical to do this but they will think its safe

if someone stops randomly in the middle of the road and the motorist behind hits them, the motorist behind is legally at fault. which would run counter to your statement that it was the motorist in front who is 'the biggest danger on our roads today'.

learner drivers should know that leaving a safe gap between you and the car in front is more important than worrying about the car behind you.

• Advertisement

To be fair, it's not your fault that you perceive a road through the park as being the same as all other roads. Nothing about the road layout or how it's policed would lead you to see it any differently. But thankfully that mistake is being rectified now and not just in Phoenix Park. The introduction of reduced speed limits, raised tables at crossings, reduced junction widths and other road diets in residential areas are subtle but effective ways to remind drivers that they are not given priority on those roads. It forces them to share the road in a way that hasn't happened in the recent past.

Sorry but it is his fault. You can't drive into the park and not realise its a park.

Even if you are on a motorway you are expected to leave enough space so you can stop safely. That someone is unaware of this, means its their habit not to do this. Shouldn't need to be told, its common sense.

Its a road in a park, motorists aren't driving on the grass, I would argue that if you cant competently and safely drive at 50kph on that road then you should have your license revoked.

Stopping abruptly on any road to let pedestrians cross is dangerous, it is random and unpredictable for all other road users, whilst legally the blame may lay with the motorists behind if they fail to stop in time, it is the unsafe practice of stopping randomly that has highly contributed toward an an accident if it occurs.

I'd tend to agree with you but look at it from their POV. Standard, generous lane widths, very straight roads with great sight-lines, pedestrians corralled away from the road, poor cycling facilities, zero pedestrian crossings, roundabouts instead of junctions to ensure traffic flow isn't interrupted - it's classic car-centric design and it reinforces for many that drivers have priority there. The complete lack of parking enforcement with cars abandoned on every cycle lane and grass verge just adds to the message. This is a normal place where normal driving conventions apply. Pedestrians can sod off somewhere else.

There's nothing abrupt about it. No-one is talking about chucking an anchor our the window. If you see a pedestrian waiting to cross the road in front of you, you take your foot off the accelerator and gradually apply the brakes. Come to a gentle stop in front of them. This gives the drivers behind you time to stop as well. Which part of this is hard for you to do? How do you handle traffic lights changing to amber as you approach?

I don't think you grasp the concept of "randomness", traffic lights aren't random, they work because they are raised so motorists can see them as they approach, thereby providing safe and consistent information to all approaching motorists.

What makes roads safe at 50, 80 or 100kph is that there are pre-agreed rules to driving such as lanes, traffic lights, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings etc

Somebody driving through chesterfield avenue deciding they should stop because there's a family on the path wanting to cross is not part of the pre-agreed rules, so we would say this is completely random, therefore dangerous - to even disagree with this makes me question the quality of drivers on our roads, driving instructing schools shouldn't assume common sense has been inherited during primary/secondary schooling.

The OPW made it how it is. No one else. I would say it doesn't favor car user either. Awful parking facilities, and choke points at the exits. If you want cars to use the park and be un-intrusive, then facilitate that. They could facilitate a freer flowing of traffic in and out of the park. But they constantly cause problems due to IMO miss management of it.

The problem with the 50kph limit was it wasn't enforced. So they've made it 30kph, and still not enforced it. Assuming collective guilt will make people drive slower. Maybe it will work. I doubt it. Seems like another seen to be doing something while actually doing nothing. Its still a vital transport link for the local area, I'm not sure people appreciate that.

What tailgater Charlie is implying that is that he should be allowed to drive at the limit regardless of conditions. That nothing to do with the park, thats just poor driving.

50kph is not allowed in the park. So you fail at step one.

• Advertisement

Let's agree to disagree. I believe that drivers should be aware of their surroundings and be prepared to stop sometimes. That might be to let people walk in a park, because the driver in front has stopped for any reason or for traffic lights. You believe that you can charge around without regard for anything around you unless it's a red light.

Advertisement