Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and, again, I wasnt debating the figures. I thought I had made that clear.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Apologies, was just clearing up the "maybe it is, maybe it isn't" - there is no maybe about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I feel the need to say that you don't understand the comic because you clearly don't.

And it's very funny that you're accusing me of lying, while telling lies yourself.

You're whinging about politeness and bully while insulting me directly.

It's complete and utter hypocrisy.

But like with the previous points, it's not worth discussing with you because the only people who are convinced by your arguments are conspiracy theorists. So again, lol man, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You feel that me describing your behavior is an insult? Perhaps you should change your behavior then.

What lies am I telling exactly? Where's the hypocrisy? Please provide evidence of this.

It is also note worthy that I made statements about the skeptic "side" in general, I did not insult you directly as you said above, so that's another lie you've told.

As for the comic, I'm assuming you are able to enlighten everyone as to its true meaning?

You posted a number of things here as fact the other day which weren't true, I pointed this out to you in detail, going as far as posting a screen capture from a thread you brought up showing that what you had said was incorrect.

You may well have remembered the thread incorrectly, we're all only human after all, but if you were going to make a statement about it you should have made sure it was accurate before hand which you didn't. You just went ahead and posted it as what could only be seen as a statement of fact. In that situation I am entitled to correct you if you've made a mistake. You could have been reasonable and said "I got that wrong, my apologies" but instead you replied by condescendingly saying "lol man".

I'm not pushing any conspiracy narrative here, I'm talking about your behavior which is there for everyone to see.

It's not worth discussing things with me because I'm not the type of push over you're used to; Tough.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Yes. You're throwing around insults on one hand while complaining about insults on the other. You're complaining against lies on one hand then telling lies on the other.

You're just a bunch of bullies, plain and simple. It's no wonder you didn't want the template I suggested implemented here, you wouldn't get to give people wedgies and flush their heads down toilets anymore.

This quote is a perfect example of this.

You keep saying that "I didn't want the template" and "tried to shut down the discussion" of it.

That's simply and evidently not the case and anyone can see that if they read the thread.

I do also find it very funny that you say this:

You may well have remembered the thread incorrectly, we're all only human after all, but if you were going to make a statement about it you should have made sure it was accurate before hand which you didn't. You just went ahead and posted it as what could only be seen as a statement of fact. In that situation I am entitled to correct you if you've made a mistake. You could have been reasonable and said "I got that wrong, my apologies" but instead you replied by condescendingly saying "lol man".

Given what you were previously given out to me about.

Remember how in the feedback thread you claimed that me and Dohnjoe were falsly accusing Cheerful of being a holocaust denier?

Was I not entitled to correct that mistake? Cause you were claiming that was me trying to discredit you...

But like you said, you're not actually interested in the conspiracy theory here.

You're just by for your bi-annual whinge about how mean people who don't believe conspiracy theories are.

You said that I raised a topic on the feedback thread, I didn't, I pointed that out and your reply was "lol man".

In the thread from two years ago when Cheerful clarified their position I said I didn't agree with them.

I am capable of admitting a mistake, you don't seem to have that ability for some reason.

Me describing your behavior isn't the same as insulting you. Like I said previously, if having your behavior described in such terms is offensive perhaps you need to think about your behavior, but that links back to the previous paragraph, you don't seem to have the ability to admit a mistake.

Twice the spectre of the "you supported a Holocaust denier" has been raised in subsequent threads. You conveniently omit the part where I withdrew my support when they clarified their position on the subject, but then why give the full picture when you can cherry pick the parts of it that it suits you to bring up? What possible motivation could you have for that?

As for the template idea, you didn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement on the feedback thread. In that entire thread there were two suggestions made for improving the forum, you made neither although you were the busiest poster in the thread. The feedback thread just descended into an opportunity to hash out old disagreements and nothing changed as a result of it. It was a useless exercise.

Do you have the true interpretation of the comic to hand by any chance? Seeing as I misinterpreted it so wildly.

Glazers Out!

Lol. You're changing your accusation already man.

You said that I didn't want it and was trying to discredit it. Now you've backtracked to "you didn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement".

Which again is also not an honest description.

You didn't give a ringing endorsement and from memory your conclusion was that you didn't want it at all.

We can clarify this now; Do you want to see the template implemented?

Forget other people's opinions, I'm just asking for yours.

Also if you could post the "correct" interpretation of the comic strip I'd appreciate it.

Glazers Out!

You may well have remembered the thread incorrectly, we're all only human after all, but if you were going to make a statement about it you should have made sure it was accurate before hand which you didn't. 

• Advertisement

As for the template idea, you didn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement on the feedback thread. In that entire thread there were two suggestions made for improving the forum, you made neither although you were the busiest poster in the thread. The feedback thread just descended into an opportunity to hash out old disagreements and nothing changed as a result of it. It was a useless exercise.

It didn't get any kind of endorsement from the pro-CT crowd either but you don't bring that up with them.

You seem to want to be the tone police. You're not. You're not a mod and frankly I would be disturbed if you were ever made one. if you have an issue with posts then report them and let the real mods sort it out.

Mirror mirror...

Very droll.

Do you care to clarify your position on the template?

Oh, and the issue of the comic strip and its correct interpretation if you don't mind, thanks.

Glazers Out!

Of course it didn't get a ringing endorsement from the pro CT crowd. It front loaded the burden of proof.

What puzzled me was that the skeptics didn't push for it to be used. After all it gave them everything they could ever want.

The lack of interest from skeptics highlights that it's not the destination that they're interested in, it's the journey, you know, the good old fashioned argument and all the abuse and condescension that goes with it.

As for the tone police jibe, I merely pointed out that the behavior on this forum falls below the standard accepted on the site in general not to mention that it falls below the standard set out in this forums own charter.

I don't have the time to moderate a forum so I'm not interested in that as a concept although your being "disturbed" by that idea did make me chuckle.

Glazers Out!

If you have an issue with the posts in the forum then report them. you constantly mentioning it adds nothing to the forum. and your idea was completely unworkable. it would have killed the forum, which was perhaps the point.

My position was made clear in the thread.

My position was that it initially had some issues regarding the length and language you used. Most of which was actually cleared up in the thread in the parts you are pretending don't exist. Despite your claims on the thread and now, I never once said that these issues were unsolvable.

I also felt that while the idea was worth a shot once those kinks were worked it, it probably wouldn't have any net positive effect as my own opinion (since evidenced by the complete lack of support or acknowledgement you got from the conspiracy theorists) was that theorists would not agree to such a standard and would simply stop posting. This was something I pointed out and was one of the issues I tried to suggest things on, such as minimising the requirements and allowing for threads outside of the template ones. You also ignored this and tried to portray it as me somehow ruining discussion.

I also felt that the idea didn't address other issues brought up in the thread that you also completely ignored. Like for example what's the difference between valid and invalid conspiracies? What's to be done with conspiracy theories like holocaust denial? What should be done when say a conspiracy theorist goes out of their way to fake a picture to use as some sort of trap on a thread.

Again, this is all in the thread, but it seems that your "sub optimal" memory is acting up again.

To be honest my opinion is that neither side here engages in gold faith.

The problem that really drags the forum down is the "sealioning" which really isn't conducive to a healthy forum and any objective person would identify that as the biggest issue on this particular forum.

To solve the issues that skeptics raised on the feedback thread the template was the best solution. It may have been a strict approach but in order to meet the requirements you were looking for that was necessitated.

You can't have a standard and then deviate from it when it suits you. If the traffic to the forum slowed as a result then that would be a by product of solving the problems that were outlined, those remaining users would be engaging in a manner that would be more attractive to other users to engage in the forum in the long run.

As it stands this forum is a mess, a solution was proposed albeit a stringent one, but it was objected to for it's potential for removing bad faith posters from the forum. Why would you want those people to remain? The answer is that you enjoy engaging with them, so why complain?

Currently it appears that there is no real moderation here at all, the charter certainly isn't being upheld and the basic rules of the site aren't followed.

This is essentially a flame forum as things stand and it's no surprise those who engage in that behavior the most object to it ever changing.

Also, can we have the real interpretation of that comic strip?

Glazers Out!

your solution would have killed the forum. and the rest of it is the same rant you repeat ad nauseum. If you don't like what is posted then report it or better still don't read it.

But we did engage in good faith. We engaged with the suggestions despite what you were claiming earlier.

And again, asking questions like what do you believe and why you believe it unfortunately aren't sealioning or attempts to kill discussion.

This thread is the perfect example.

Do you believe that any covid restrictions are going to be permanent? Have you seen any conspiracy theorists on this thread suggest any?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There was more than just your template suggested. There was at least 1 other that i can think of from that thread. I dont recall any "skeptic" side having any major issue with any of them, but there was an outright, fully admitted, refusal by the Pro CT side to engage with these proposals.

and your right, the CT forum is a complete mess... simply because it DOES NOT conform to the same standards as the rest of the website. It is used by other fora as the dumping ground for the sh!t they do not want to have to deal with. "take it to the conspiracy forum" is the typical moderation response to something they arent comfortable with dealing with. to be honest i couldn't even tell you who the moderators are for here, as they as so seldom seen.

Allow you to treat people like dirt and stop drawing attention to it because it's cathartic and you don't want it to stop.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Nobody engages in good faith here.

The questions aren't the problem, that has been addressed, it's how they're asked.

I have no interest in this thread topic, I was initially name checked in this thread, and as the only thread that existed to talk about these topics was closed because of the aforementioned "sealioning" (your explanation of that comic strip is still outstanding by the way, surely it's not a big ask) I replied on the topic I was called out on.

Do you really believe replying with the likes of "lol man, sure" is good faith?

You've been here too long, you really don't have any self awareness at all.

Glazers Out!

Allow me? LOL. I told you to report the posts you object to. that is the opposite of asking you to stop drawing attention to it.

Lol dude. I just gave you the explanation again.

You either don't understand it or you don't want to.

And look at that, you dodge the question again.

I know you don't have any interest in the topic. But I didn't ask if you had an interest in the topic.

I asked if you believe that any covid measures were going to be permanent. I asked if you believe any conspiracy theorists have suggested any.

The answer to these questions is not "I've no interest" It's "Yes" or "No."

You don't want to give that answer because you know that undermines your point. So you dodge and avoid and ignore. And when people dare to point out that you're doing this, it's "sealioning".

One of the other issues that was brought up in the thread that you also ignored was the propensity for this tactic of dodging and avoiding. Weird that.

You are the only one currently not engaging in good faith. You've already backpeddled on your lies about the feedback thread.

So yes, "lol sure man." is about the level of effort that your responses require.

Yeah allow, in this case to never have your behavior questioned.

Reporting posts in this forum? I may as well shout my complaints out the window for all the good it would do.

Glazers Out!

there you go thinking you're a junior mod again. anyway, blocked.

Just to clarify, you have yet to clarify this comic strip issue. If you feel you have done so please quote where you did so.

I will now clarify for you that I will not be answering any questions about the topic of this thread, you seem to understand that I have no interest in it and that I was name checked in relation to the template idea. My response was that there's no point in using the template as nobody wants it.

How exactly have I back peddled on the feedback thread? And where are these lies you're talking about? Strange that you'd raise that when I caught you out for lying about that thread yourself.

The template was to be used as a standard, you wanted to use it here and there, that's not what was proposed and nobody would have used it in that case.

The template was proposed to solve the problems you and others had drawn attention to, by rejecting it you make it look like you don't want to actually solve the very problems you complained about.

It's curious that you raise the spectre of dodging and avoiding whilst engaging in those things yourself don't you think?

I see people accusing you of gaslighting on this forum and I understand why.

Glazers Out!

What?

Back seat modding isn't allowed on this site, if you think that's what I'm doing take your own advice and report me.

I'm having a conversation about the issues which affect this forum as I was called out on the same. We did have a thread in feedback for it, remember? You helped have it locked.

Glazers Out!

That's not explaining your interpretation of the comic strip at all.

It's easier to bluff than give real answers I suppose.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement