Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Profile option

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

"Admin & staff will continue to be the only ones able to see a user's email address and IP addresses as they always could."

Curious about this. What is/how does the relationship work between Boards, Admins and Users? Are the Admins considered Users (with elevated forum privileges) or are they considered to be part of Boards body corporate when it comes to the whole area of data privacy/access/control?Could there ever be a situation where an Admin could be held personally responsible in the event of a data breach? Or, is it a simple allowed delegation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Thanks for the clarification Niamh, appreciate your effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You make a good point but those trying to evade bans by setting up new accounts seem to be dealt with quickly enough, I'm not having a private profile makes to much of a difference, these users stick out like a sore thumb.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Admins are all volunteer users who have been on the site for a very long time and have been mods before becoming Admins. They are not employees so are not part of the company in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Which in itself is a big problem. Essentially just normal users with elevated permissions and access who Boards have no responsibility for (I'm guessing?) as they're not staff.

There's also an issue with the rather nepotistic "recruitment" policy for the mod and above roles but that's a different and long-standing issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Was just wondering if you had yourselves covered, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think all users should have access to the profile and easy access to posts of every user.

the reason I advocate that if say a poster has come to my attention and I’m seemingly beginning to think of them as a type of wind up merchant, oddball, troll or all the above… with access to their history of posting both style and content it’s a lot easier to identify it and them for certain…… can stick em on ignore and get on with it. They are marked.

there is no compelling reason really that I can see to have profiles private… none whatsoever.. it was a poor decision to enable the current situation because you are removing poster accountability to a certain degree.

you join… you make public posts.. the accessibility of a limited amount of info about your account should be accessible..like so…with all posts accessible too. Be a lot easier to whack people on ignore too.

everyone should be able to access info like..

Username Strumms

Joined February 2006

Visits 3,476

Last Active 10:24PM

Points 7,263

Posts 18,10

& all posts..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Welllllll…

Not exactly. I wasn’t exactly a popular choice of mod when I was asked over 15 years ago and still have people on here who intensely dislike me. If you got to see the moderator’s forum, your jaw would probably hit the floor. We don’t all exactly sit around sipping soy lattes together. In fact, in the past, moderators have had fist fights at meet ups due to irremediable differences of opinion. Others have ragequit their modship in tantrums that would impress a toddler. I could go on, but I’m sure you get the idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

...if that is the level of maturity of those put in charge of our personal data and keeping the peace, it doesn't foster much confidence in the system, now does it?

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Exactly the concern I was getting at.

The moderation and engagement issues across the site are then also partly the result of those issues too and the number of fora these people are responsible for (the length of some of the lists under some names are ridiculous).

But back to the core issue, it's a big concern that Boards has empowered such individuals with such access to other users data. It might have been OK back in the days when this was a small community run Quake forum, but not in an era of privacy concerns, data protection, social media bullying, and regulatory requirements, and where Boards itself has become a company with formal obligations in these areas.

My take would be, from the limited insight I see of the office workings as a normal user, is that like everything else, the owners have taken the cheap way out here rather than having actual staff in these roles that are accountable to the company and who the company are responsible for, but in doing so have exposed not just the company but their users to potentially serious problems as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just so there's no doubt here, mods have no access to personal data, no IPs, no email addresses, no server logs, no PMs, nothing private or identifying like that.

And with 310'ish mods, there's bound to be a few flare-ups/tempers/disagreements, through sheer weight of numbers alone, just a with any large group of people.

What about the "higher level" volunteers - cmods, admins etc? Does that hold true for those roles as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's the same for cmods. Admins could see more in the past, but I don't know what the specifics are now with Vanilla. Given Vanillas lack of functionality, I can only assume it's less.

Then my point still holds - if indeed volunteer admins have that level of access.

I take your point re Vanilla and the effect I've read it's had on mod tools etc, but that just goes to my larger point too. Corner-cutting leading in part to problems running this site in an appropriate manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Having it on does mean that no other users or mods can see your profile page with your list of posts and of threads started by you. Mods are unable to view your history of infractions or warnings (if you have any).

Why do mods need to view your history of infractions or warnings?

Presumably so that they can judge if a potential offence/report is a habitual thing or a one-off when deciding how to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Was not aware that previous "convictions" are reflected anywhere on users profile (i mean publicly exposed part of it). Is it?

They're not and never were. The closest thing is if someone went manually trying to count up the cards on a posts that received one, assuming the post was left public. But that's not an option under Vanilla now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm confused. If mods need profiles to be public to view warnings history, how does it now allow general users to view them also?

And if mods can view them while general users can't, that must mean there must be some kind of security group mods are assigned, in Vanilla...why not just edit that security group to allow them to view history for private profiles too?

Vanilla uses a very simplistic all or nothing system to set a profile public or not. There's no granularity, so while the past warnings can be seen by mods only, but once the profile is set to private, the entire thing is private for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

So whats your opinion on Google empoyees that also work as boards mods accessing private files in users gmail/drive accounts ?

Quite serious yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Do you think that unique user numbers will drop when you make this change?

I think they probably will.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A re-reg troll - just ignore them. Only trying to stir things around here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I know Beasty has said this is a re-reg troll but I think @Boards.ie: Niamh needs to address it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be clear, only Admins can access any personal info, and I am certainly not an employee of Google

The poster was very clearly wanting to stir things. After posting that they sent me a message telling me what a massive list of accounts they continue to run on this site. I am one of the few people that can do some checks and yes a few accounts have now been banned on the back of that. If there was any truth in what they said in that post then there would have been moderators lining up to ban those accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I wasn't at all implying you were snooping @Beasty.

Merely suggesting Niamh addressed it as lot of us have lost faith in Boards since the move to Vanilla after the reappearance of deleted PMs, the absence of a privacy notice, data protection concerns as the server is in Canada, visible emails debacle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,829 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Users should be able to few their mod actions too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Agreed. Didn’t know you couldn’t on Vanilla.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think if you made all admins and mods employees, the site wouldn't be financially viable. If you're uncomfortable with them being volunteers, don't use the site. Problem solved.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement